Small Batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfrayer

Reaction score
So I'm doing a small 3 gallon batch with some left over hops and such and I was just wondering does fermentation occur faster than with a typical 5 gallon batch. My starting gravity was 1.053 which is what I was shooting for, and after 6 days, it down to 1.014 which is around what I think it should be. I will take another gravity reading in the next couple of days. I was just wondering if this has been a good fermentation, or should I shoot for a lower gravity?

that sounds right-on, and six days is plenty for fermentation to take place. Are you going to use a secondary for this batch? If not how long in primary will you do? Oh and a small batch will ferment faster, but not terribly so.

Yea I'll rack to my secondary if the gravity reading is still the same tomorrow. I leave in the secondary for a good 2 weeks, at least.

speed really doesn't change with batch size. don't think of it in terms of volume of liquid...rather volume of sugar.
to yeast 1.050 is always the same, regardless of 1 gallon or 10 gallons of wort.

that's why bigger beers take longer to ferment (and age).

Small batches can ferment out more quickly if you pitch the same amount of yeast that you would normally use for 5 gallon batches. Otherwise, if you scale the amount of yeast you use to your batch size, fermentation times are generally similar.

You can check the specs of your yeast to determine what it's apparent attenuation range should be. If your beer is in that range, and your SG isn't dropping any more, it should be done. Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Latest posts

Back