Small Batch Lagering Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFoxBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still cutting my teeth on ales, but hope to take a crack at a lager at some point in the near future. What recommendations do you all have for an economical lagering environment?

I was considering purchasing a mini-fridge to do 1 gallon batches in, but wanted to see what others may have used.

I have a small chest freezer (5 cu ft), a fermowrap (morebeer), a cold crash guardian (brewhardware.com), and an inkbird two stage controller.

Gives me pretty much all the temp control I need for lagers, ales, cold crashes, etc. And did not cost an arm and a leg.

I’m still cutting my teeth on ales, but hope to take a crack at a lager at some point in the near future. What recommendations do you all have for an economical lagering environment?

About the cheapest solution is going to be whatever used fridge or freezer you can find. Sometimes people are giving them away or often list them for $50 or less. Then just add an inkbird type controller and maybe a heating pad.

If you really want to do 1 gallon batches, then a small dorm fridge might work well (just verify that it can fit a fermenter). A full sized fridge or freezer will be able to support full sized batches (and temperature control is also incredibly useful for fermenting ales as well).

I was considering purchasing a mini-fridge to do 1 gallon batches in
A mini fridge, or any size fridge or freezer for that matter, will be fine. Plus a temp controller a-la Inkbird ITC-308.

But... think about future-proofing, so get one that's large enough. Some time in the (near future) you may want to brew bigger batches, so pick one that could be used for 2.5-5 gallon batches and associated larger fermenters. ;)

Especially for Lagers, 1 gallon (6-7 pints, net) is very little beer, given the time it takes to "Lager" it. I'd do at least 3 to 5 1-gallon batches, simultaneously.

Check out the warm fermented lager thread. My basement stays around 68 all year, so I don’t do anything special besides use lager yeast that can ferment well at those temps. Drinking a Pilsner now that you would never know was fermented warm
So this is the same issue I have been thinking about. My basement is also in the range of 65-68 degrees F all year. In essence, it seems that using lager yeasts that can ferment well at the 68 degree range would be as good as getting a used fridge/freezer and lagering that way. Would this be universally true for lagering? On a home brewing scale that is. I want to be able to lager for a few recipes I have but wanted to see what the prevailing thoughts are. Thanks

I have a couple of these, I put a small hole in the side of a 3 gallon Fermonster. Works pretty well, with a towel under and another around the fermenter I can go about 20F below ambient.

https://www.amazon.com/IceProbe-Thermoelectric-Aquarium-Chiller/dp/B001JSVLBO
But... they are at least, maybe more, than double the cost these days so I'm not sure I'm actually recommending it... but it definitely works and takes almost no room at all. It's a good cold crashing method for ales too. Well gets you into the upper 40's anyhow.

So that's one idea, even if not a great one any more.

I just bottled my first "lager" , a Marzen . I used Saflager 34/70 . Like Aceluby my ambient was 67 degrees most days so I didn't do anything special to control temps ... setting your carboy in a bucket of water and using an old t-shirt to make a swamp cooler is cheap and effective to drop the temp a few more degrees . we talked about various cheap methods here Temperature Control during ferment

Don't let the mystique of lager stop you from making one now. There are yeasts that work well at warmer temperatures than are "traditional". Once you let go of the mentality that lagers have to be made a certain way it will open up a whole new arena of possibilities for you.

i just made an excellent lager at 66-68 degrees using diamond lager yeast . thanks to the warm fermented lager thread. go for it you wont be dissapointed . this would be most economical as you dont need fridge or inkbird controller just a large container to put your fermenter into to use as swamp cooler.

i think the bigger advantage to the swamp cooler is that the high specific heat capacity of water makes it take a while for the temp to change giving you (more importantly) more consistent temperature than lower temperature.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back