Small Batch Kolsch Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackQueenBrews

Reaction score
Greetings All!

I've become a big fan of the Kolsch style and after enjoying several different Kolsch brews and the New Belgium release of their Passionfruit Kolsch, I'd like to give brewing a small batch Kolsch a go. I respect the fact that it is a traditional German style of beer but, I do think that putting a "spin" on it at some point would be exciting and refreshing in late spring and throughout the summer.

If anyone who has experience with brewing in the Kolsch style could give me some suggestions on where to find a good recipe or how to write a simple one of my own, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone and Cheers!:mug:

Hi BQB. I'm not a Kolsch brewing expert, but can point you to HBT's excellent recipe database. Here's the Kolschs

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/homebrew-ale-recipes.62/?prefix_id=146

Most of the recipes are all-grain with some extract mixed in. If you see an all-grain recipe you like, you can always ask here for help converting it to extract.

To navigate the recipe database generally, go the recipes section of HBT (either using the recipes link at the top or scrolling down.) Find the appropriate section for the style you are looking for - ale, lager, sour and wild, specialty/fruit/historical. Once you're in the right section, you can either browse or use the pull down menu at the top to look at specific BJCP Style categories, like Kolsch.

Back