SMAKN pwm module: thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechead11

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKK50UK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hey everyone! I've been a ghost for a while. I have to say, this is such and wonderful and informative community.

Been working on my control panel... pics and all that to come soon. Planning on properly introducing myself at some point, as well. But, does anyone have any thoughts on this item? I bought one months ago and have since got ready to install it in the panel. Not sure if an SSR is required or not. It has a heat sink and a little fan on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No SSR required (in fact it can't properly drive an SSR) that's literally a 50A variable voltage AC power supply that can run on up to 240VAC...

Cheers!

Are you thinking of using this for manual heating element control? I have a simple eBIAB system with out any control of my 5500w element and this would be ideal if it was simply plug n play to turn down the element a bit during the boil. Not sure if this would require swapping a capacitor or anything like I've read about other motor controllers like this. Anyone know if that would be the case?

I was basically between this and an auber ezboil when I bought it. All intentions of just running my 5500w element in my boil kettle with it. Looks like I'm just going to have to install my spa panel and just give it a shot.

I was basically between this and an auber ezboil when I bought it. All intentions of just running my 5500w element in my boil kettle with it. Looks like I'm just going to have to install my spa panel and just give it a shot.

Please update us once you give it a shot.

Absolutely, I just finished up my control panel including this PWM. Just have to finish a little wiring in the basement, take a few photos, wait for my HERMS parts from stainlessbrewing, install said parts, do a dry run, and then brew.

Worst case scenario, I just swap it out. I'm feeling pretty good about it though.

Had a chance to brew a few batches and I have to say that this PWM works so perfectly to control the boil. So responsive. So easy to wire up.

Had a chance to brew a few batches and I have to say that this PWM works so perfectly to control the boil. So responsive. So easy to wire up.

Just ordered one myself and hope to wire it up before my next brew session. Looks super simple to wire as well.

They don't seem to sell the 50A version anymore and the 20A version is rated max 4000 watts. Has anyone tried the 20A version with a 4500w+ element ?

A couple years ago there was a thread about these... A few users found the traces on the boards were not heavy enough to pass the current and the even the 10000w ones would actually eventually burn up (near and at the built in fuse holder) with just one 5500w element... That said, the chinese are pretty good at modifying things as they go so maybe they fixed this flaw by now.

I've only put about 10 five gallons batches through my system so far. No problems yet but I'll post if it does fail. It does run a bit hot and I'm a little nervous about it in the enclosure. I also may consider wiring it in after the contactor... but I don't mind its fan running all the time.

I saw the smaller/cheaper ones as well - I like the OP's style with the built in fan - especially if you stick this inside an enclosure of some sort to cover the xposed AC connections.

Back