Smack pack exploded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike54716

Reaction score
Need some quick help. When I smacked my smack pack the bottom exploded all over me and I was only able to save about 125ml of the liquid.
I brewing a pumpkin ale today and am an hour away from the nearest brew store for another yeast. The yeast does look like it is active but do I have enough cells to pitch later in the day?

There is only 125 ml of liquid in a smackpack to begin with. It's always a good idea to make a starter with either smackpack or vial unless your gravity is less than ~12 plato/1.048 or so (and some say a starter should be made at gravities as low as 7.5/1.030), but it'll ferment. Your lag time may be longer, you may get more phenols, and your attenuation may be lower than expected in the worst-case scenario.

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply. I will try it and hopefully it works.
However I was going to use American ale but I have another smack pack of British ale. How would that taste?

How did you save the yeast that you did? Be wary of sanitation if it touched anything that was not sanitized ie countertop, unsanitized glass etc. I think you safest bet is to get more yeast. If the brew is already in process, then proceed as normal and once you get it into the fermentor go out and get more yeast. If your sanitizing is good, the wort should be able to sit a good many hours unpitched and still be alright. I know that kinda sucks with the brew store an hour away, but it gives your beer the best chance at a clean ferment.

Also, you should try to always make a starter ahead of time. Among all the other benefits, it wouls also have given you time to get more yeast a day or two ahead of your brew in the event of something happening like what just did.

British ale yeast should work fine for a Pumpkin Ale. The English yeasts can leave a bit of fruitiness, although not as much with the British Ale. The fruitiness would play well with the pumpkin. In general I would probably prefer an English style yeast in a pumpkin beer.

Edit, just saw you have 1968 yeast. That yeast would work perfect.

Zen_Brew said:
British ale yeast should work fine for a Pumpkin Ale. The English yeasts can leave a bit of fruitiness, although not as much with the British Ale. The fruitiness would play well with the pumpkin. In general I would probably prefer an English style yeast in a pumpkin beer.

Edit, just saw you have 1968 yeast. That yeast would work perfect.

Done. Crisis averted. You should of seen the look on my face when it blew up on my shirt and wall.
I will be more careful this time.
Have a great day. You made mine with your quick help.

next time you are at the LHBS grab an extra pack of dry yeast to keep in your fridge for days like this

Back