Smack pack disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
So I go to activate my Wyeast smack pack, something I've done a hundred times over the years, and the damn thing splits open and gives me a nice yeasty shower. I was in the process of trying a belgian ale for the first time, lemon peel, coriander, etc. So I was forced to substitute Nottingham dry yeast for the belgian whit I ended up wearing.

Any thoughts on the effect of this?

:confused:

sorry no thoughts on the yeast choice, just a not-so-fond rememberance of my first smack-pack experience. 1)go to LHBS to buy smack-pack for belgian tripel, 2) bring home smack-pack, 3)smack the pack too hard, 4) clean yeast slurry off of laundry room walls, ceiling, and floor, 5)laugh through the tears:D

i made a belgian wheat with nottingham. it tasted good, kinda like an american wheat like blue moon or something but it didnt taste like a belgian. the coriander and orange peel really dominated the flavor without the major yeast flavor, plus it was really clear.

I just activated a smack pack of 3942 for a Belgian Wheat I am going to brew tonight.

I didn't open it like they said. I pushed the internal packet to the center and then pressed with hard with my thumb. I was surprised at how forceful it let go.

I was going to smack it but I was afraid of it splitting like yours did.

If you didn't toss the pack, I'd say pour whatever you can salvage into the fermenter.

Back