Slurry + dextrose water = starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicariousCynic

Reaction score
Brewing an English IPA today. Using the yeast cake from an ESB from two weeks ago. Want to clean the carboy so the yeast slurry is going into a growler. I'm thinking of boiling two cups water with 1/2 cup dextrose - ice bathing down to room temp - and using that to rinse the slurry into the growler. The dextrose will act as yeast food and this stuff reactivated, yes?

Brewing an English IPA today. Using the yeast cake from an ESB from two weeks ago. Want to clean the carboy so the yeast slurry is going into a growler. I'm thinking of boiling two cups water with 1/2 cup dextrose - ice bathing down to room temp - and using that to rinse the slurry into the growler. The dextrose will act as yeast food and this stuff reactivated, yes?

No, I wouldn't. You want to have the yeast ready to consume maltose (the primary sugar in wort) and not glucose. There are other sugars too, like maltiose, in wort.

I would skip the 1/2 cup dextrose and either use a bit of DME or wort. If there is no DME or wort to make a starter, I'd skip the starter instead of using dextrose.

Back