Slowly crashing a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I've heard some talk of crashing a lager too quickly will make the yeast express a bunch of esters as they go into dormancy. Any thoughts/experiences on this? How quick is too quick?

I'm stoked about a (doppel?) maibock I just brewed that went from 1.080 to 1.016. It's ready to package now and I'd love to have it for Easter. I'd like to get some gelatin action going, but time is short and if I need to crash it over a couple days then that really puts the pressure on.

Ain't nobody got time for that. Keep in mind that fermentation is finished, I'm not cooling this down for long term fermentation wrap up.

When my lagers are done with the d-rest, they're at 64*F. I move the bucket from the fermenter fridge over to the lagering/crashing upright freezer set at 35*F. They crash in however many hours it takes the beer to assume that temp. I've never had the slightest hint of esters or other off-flavors in any of those batches.

When my lagers are done with the d-rest, they're at 64*F. I move the bucket from the fermenter fridge over to the lagering/crashing upright freezer set at 35*F. They crash in however many hours it takes the beer to assume that temp. I've never had the slightest hint of esters or other off-flavors in any of those batches.

+1, if you've done a d-rest, no need to drop slowly, yeast has done its job.

I've heard some talk of crashing a lager too quickly will make the yeast express a bunch of esters as they go into dormancy.

I've been told the same thing, but based on my experience trying both ways (gradual temp drop vs rapid crash) I don't think there's anything to be worried about.

Just read this in white/Zainasheff that crashing over 6 hours is too fast. Crash over 24 hrs should be fine.

It was my understanding that if you dont do a D rest you want to slowly lower the temp a couple degree a day, otherwise after D rest is complete you can crash as normal.

I concur, just set the temp to cold, it will take a while to cool down anyway. It's called a "cold crash", not a "gently cool the beer over a period of several weeks".

Back