Slow Carbing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
Brewed an IPA on May 25th, 08. Fermentation finished in about 10 days. Left it in the primary for about 4 weeks. Dry hopped in the primary for another 7 days, then bottled. Two days before bottling I crash cooled to 40 degrees. The day of bottling I let the beer warm up a bit and it was around 55-60 at bottling time. Added normal amount of corn sugar and the beer has been stored at 70-75 degrees every since.

I cracked one to sample after 8 days and there was almost no carbonation. I know I'm supposed to wait 3 weeks, and I'm planning on it before making judgements, but I was surprised at how little carbonation there was. A few small bubbles, but not much else. I'm planning on waiting till the 3 week mark to crack another, but should I expect this beer to carb just fine considering my process? This is the first time i've crashed cooled, so I don't know what to expect.

Give it at least 3 weeks. I would not worry until then. If your ueast was asleep. it may have taken a few days to wake up. They may be just starting the process now.

Back