Coffee Stout - slow to carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Architect-Dave

Architect & Fledgling Home Brewer (5-Mana Brewing)
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made an all-grain coffee stout with a little molasses. Used S-04 yeast. When I bottled it, I filled all the requirements for priming sugar - this is my 20th plus batch of beer. I tried a bottle after a week and there was no sign of carbonation at all. Usually, it is either ready or there is partial carbonation. Do stouts usually take a while to carbonate? My OG was 1.061 and F.G. At bottling was a steady 1.010 for four days.

I haven't been all too happy with the carbonation level of the 3 stouts I just did. They didn't seem to be quite what they should be, but I'm not a stout connoisseur.

This time of year, I'll be doing pale ales and such which I've never had carbonation issues. So I'll have to wait and see what happens this winter when I try a few more stouts.

I sort of wonder if the pH or something was wrong with the water chemistry as I didn't quite get down to the expected FG. But I don't have a pH meter yet and the beer was too dark to get a there abouts measure from pH test strips.

Last edited:
Any chance that it's carbed but it's a perception issue? I can have kegs of Pale Ale and Imperial Stout side by side in the same frig, carbed the same way, on the same regulator, both for a good amount of time, and get totally different perceptions form them. The Pale Ale seems perfect, the Stout feels flat.

Something about the body or ABV I am guessing.

Latest posts

Back