Slow activity in airlock after 36 hours Wyeast 1272

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey brewers! I pitched a starter of Wyeast 1272 American Ale II 36 hours ago to an all grain fat tire clone at 64f, bumped to 65 within 12 hours, 67 within 24, and is moving up to 68 now. It seemed to be bubbling faster at about 24 hours than now, with foam from starsan collecting on top of the airlock. Now it's releasing bursts of bubbles every 4-5 sec and I'm wondering if I messed something up like under oxygenating. It's an OG 1.054 with about 210 billion cells pitched. Thanks!

Hi Pkrd, I've used blowoffs many times. This is definitely not krausen, it's just the starsan foaming up because of lots of activity. Today there is no foam and less activity, hence the question. Should I swirl this or do something else?

I just brewed an ipa with 1272 and it fermented down to FG within 3 days. No blow off but the blow off jar was active within 12 hours of pitching. I’d take a gravity reading if you can.

With an OG of 1.054 and a good pitch of yeast at that temperature the main ferment where the yeast is producing CO2 is likely over and your airlock is just responding to the outgassing of the dissolved CO2. It takes some pressure to make the airlock start to bubble but then the center piece of a 3 piece airlock is lifted and it is easier for gas to escape so it bubbles in bursts until the pressure is relieved enough for the center to settle completely, cutting off the bubbling until the pressure builds up again.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Back