Wyeast 2105-PC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I’m a big fan, my lager has been kegged 2 days, with a 30hr carbonation. Silky smooth with a very slight and very pleasant sulphur character. I’m trying to leave some for next weekend for a catch up with beer loving friends but hmmmm!

Nice yeah I think it’s a great easy to use yeast. Floccs well, pretty fast, nice and clean pretty quickly. Has a really interesting soft/malty profile.

I’ve started using the 34/70 variants lately as the one thing about the Andechs strain is it tends to mute hops a bit. Hard to make a great hop accented Pils with it or a more modern hoppy lager.

Sad news to report to fans of Wyeast 2105-PC "Rocky Mt. Lager".

I received an email about my order from Altitude Brewing & Supply in Colorado stating that their supplier informed them that Wyeast has suspended production of 2105-PC except in commercial pitch volumes. They couldn't tell me if this was a temporary or permanent suspension, but it certainly appears that at least for this year and for the foreseeable future it won't be available for home brewers. I haven't reached out to Wyeast Corporate for a definitive answer, but I have started propagating my 6 month old clean harvest 1st. generation 2105-PC with eyes toward plating/slanting some and freezing the rest. I'm also looking to source a good Andechs strain replacement yeast.

These "vault" yeasts are starting to get pretty frustrating. First there was the fiasco last year with all the White Labs special yeasts (which is still continuing; I can't find any WLP-860 anywhere, and this year's 835 vanished almost as soon as I'd secured my first 2 vials). Now Wyeast is ceasing distribution (in retail volumes) of a yeast I've really taken a liking to. I'm beginning to say, "screw it," and just settle on some SafeAle-05, 34/70, and Nottingham dry yeasts for my brewing needs. I really like using liquid yeasts, but the frustration level with these companies is starting to wear thin.

O.K. Rant over.

Sad news to report to fans of Wyeast 2105-PC "Rocky Mt. Lager".

I received an email about my order from Altitude Brewing & Supply in Colorado stating that their supplier informed them that Wyeast has suspended production of 2105-PC except in commercial pitch volumes. They couldn't tell me if this was a temporary or permanent suspension, but it certainly appears that at least for this year and for the foreseeable future it won't be available for home brewers. I haven't reached out to Wyeast Corporate for a definitive answer, but I have started propagating my 6 month old clean harvest 1st. generation 2105-PC with eyes toward plating/slanting some and freezing the rest. I'm also looking to source a good Andechs strain replacement yeast.

These "vault" yeasts are starting to get pretty frustrating. First there was the fiasco last year with all the White Labs special yeasts (which is still continuing; I can't find any WLP-860 anywhere, and this year's 835 vanished almost as soon as I'd secured my first 2 vials). Now Wyeast is ceasing distribution (in retail volumes) of a yeast I've really taken a liking to. I'm beginning to say, "screw it," and just settle on some SafeAle-05, 34/70, and Nottingham dry yeasts for my brewing needs. I really like using liquid yeasts, but the frustration level with these companies is starting to wear thin.

O.K. Rant over.

White Labs doesn’t have any 835 left? You called them? They had 140 vials a month ago. I’ve got some I can send you and could probably send you some of the BSI Andechs if you want.

I really appreciate the offer. I've got two vials of the 835 which will keep me supplied for this year, plus I'll be getting the Propagate brand Andechs pitch in the next week. Between slanting some samples for near term use and freezing samples that are capable of propagation for several years, I've probably got it covered for a while.

How did your BSI Andechs/Global dual pitch work out? It seems like it would be a great blending of yeasts, and I'm thinking about trying it when I get my starters and ranching sorted and get back to actually brewing beer.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back