Sugar Wine (or Kilju, prison wine, hooch... whatever you want to call it) Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Experimenter

Reaction score
I know some people would probably be offended by me choosing to post a Sugar Wine question in the Winemaking forum, but I'm relatively new here and wasn't sure where to post this... but it's called Sugar Wine so I put it here.

Anyway, My question is all the way at the bottom; everything between here and there are just details for context: About 5 weeks ago now I started a Sugar Wine. No particular reason, but as my username suggests, I like to Experiment and try new things. That's pretty much it. I didn't really care if it tasted good or even if I had to eventually pour it down the drain, I just wanted to give it a try and see what happened.

I created a 1 gallon batch of Sugar Wine must by adding about 3 lbs. 3 oz. of sugar to water and pitching a full packet of rehydrated Lalvin K1V-1116 (I have not been brewing long, but in the few months I have, K1V has given me an impression of being a strong and fast fermenter, so I figured it was a good choice... idk if that's actually true). Before pitching the yeast I tasted it and it tasted as to be expected (like sugar water and EXTREMELY sweet, but no other flavors; you'll see why I mention that later). I used RO water without thinking about it and because that is a water relatively lacking in nutrients and minerals, I also added some Nutrient (diammonium phosphate) when I started the brew. The OG was 1.141 which is the highest OG I've ever had and didn't know what to expect. I did not have a Target Gravity, again, just experimenting.

Not much happened in the first 24 hours... AND THEN IT TOOK OFF!! At 24 hours it was bubbling once every 2 seconds. By the 36 hour mark it was going faster than once per second (maybe as fast as 2 bubbles per second) and stayed that way all the way up to the 96 hour mark (4 days since start of the brew)! On this 4th day I tested it with my hydrometer. It read 1.145. At this point I was confused. It was bubbling like crazy for 3 days straight and now the gravity was higher than the OG? I knew something was off so I figured that the brew must have a lot of gas dissolved in it so I put some in a tupperware container, capped it, shook it, and then opened it to let it offgas. I repeated this 10-12 times over the next few hours until it was basically flat and didn't foam up when I shook it any more. After this attempted degassing, it tested 1.141, exactly the same as the OG. Now I was REALLY confused. I thought it was degassed to the point where it was basically flat and it gave a reading as if no fermentation had occurred (but if that's true, where the heck did all the bubbles in the airlock come from over the past few days?). Confused, but not wanting to give up, I put it back.

Two days later (day 6 of the brew) I tested it again (after again spending some time trying to degas it with the previous method of vigorously shaking in a closed container and then leaving open for a while and repeating multiple times) and it read 1.132. On day 10, again after degassing a sample, it read 1.120. On day 14 it was 1.110 (to save time, I'm going to stop say I degassed it, just now I've done that every time I tested it). However, on day 14 I also noticed my basement temperature had dropped to 50-55 degrees which is on the low end of what K1V is comfortable with (based on what I've read about it). I chose to move it upstairs to a room that averages 68-72 degrees each day. On Day 17 it was 1.110 still and the same on day 20 (despite no change in gravity, the airlock was still bubbling like crazy). At this point I was afraid fermentation was stuck (possibly from the basement getting too cold before I noticed), so I went out and bought some Yeast Energizer (again, I was afraid my RO-based must was too lacking in nutrients and minerals). I rehydrated half a packet of K1V (in a small sample of the must that I took out and heated to about 95 degrees in a water bath) and also mixed some more Nutrient AND Energizer into the must and then pitched the new yeast. This didn't seem to do much over the next few days, so I gave it some more Nutrient and Energizer a couple days later after which it finally took off again. By day 26 it was 1.098. By day 31 it was 1.090. On Day 35 it was 1.078. This is a fairly consistent rate now, dropping about 30 points over two weeks, or about 15 points per week. However, though it has apparently restarted, this is still VERY slow and at this rate it would still take almost 5 more weeks to ferment completely (again, I don't have a specific target, but I was hoping it would finish at or below 1.010, somewhere where it still has some slight sweetness, but not entirely dry).

Anyway, that's where I am now (today is day 35). Before I ask my question, I should restate the fact that this RO Water + Sugar must has been bubbling like CRAZY (so much so that you'd think it has fermented dry 2 to 3 times over by now) despite not showing a comparable amount of fermentation in hydrometer reading AND should also point out that every time I test the gravity I taste a little sip of it (from the graduate cylinder, not the fermenter, I keep everything perfectly clean) and somewhere around 2 to 2-1/2 weeks in it developed a VERY distinct citrusy/lemon-lime flavor reminiscent of Sprite which has stuck with it since then (actually tastes really good and now I'm actually excited for the final product)... But I have NO IDEA where the flavors came from and I am confused. Again, I'm relatively new to brewing. Is this from esters produced by the K1V?

Anyway, my question is: What is going on? I've always heard Sugar Wine should take like a week or two to ferment, but I'm 5 weeks in with potentially 5 weeks to go if it continues at the same rate it has held over the past 2 weeks... why is it taking so long? And why is it bubbling like crazy if it really is fermenting so slow? Those are my main questions (Why is it taking so long?; What's causing all the bubbles?; Is there anyway I can help it along?). As a final, less important question than those main three... Where do you think the lemon-lime flavor came from?

yeast need more then DAP....next sugar wash, buy some wheat germ. boil it and add the tea to the sugar wash.

and esters do have a characteristic fruity smell and taste....

A pure sugar feed stock should finish at an SG significantly lower than 1.000, as there are no unfermentable dissolved materials. @bracconiere is correct - you need more than DAP. A simple yeast food can be made by boiling some bread yeast, and adding that to the sugar water. I'm not sure what the correct dosage is, however. Also, oxygenating the wash at the time of pitch is also good for yeast growth.

Brew on :mug:

yeast need more then DAP....next sugar wash, buy some wheat germ. boil it and add the tea to the sugar wash.

and esters do have a characteristic fruity smell and taste....

Thanks for the response!! I'm new to brewing so I have a few questions. Is DAP an abbreviation for Diammonium Phosphate? I assume that's what that is, but I'm not sure. Also, where does one find Wheat germ? Is that a standard product in Homebrew stores?

When you use the word "tea" what do you mean? Is that just the term for a nutrient mix or am I supposed to boil the wheat germ with a tea bag as well for added nutrients from the tea?

A pure sugar feed stock should finish at an SG significantly lower than 1.000, as there are no unfermentable dissolved materials. @bracconiere is correct - you need more than DAP. A simple yeast food can be made by boiling some bread yeast, and adding that to the sugar water. I'm not sure what the correct dosage is, however. Also, oxygenating the wash at the time of pitch is also good for yeast growth.

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

What does boiling bread yeast do? Does that just kill the yeast so my brewer's yeast can feed off the dead yeast hulls or something?

Also, is there a good method for oxygenation? At the start of the brew I left the fermenter open to the air for a few minutes, then capped it and shook it vigorously for a couple minutes. I did this 3 or 4 times before pitching the yeast and 2 or 3 times more after pitching. Is there a better method?

Thanks for the response!! I'm new to brewing so I have a few questions. Is DAP an abbreviation for Diammonium Phosphate? I assume that's what that is, but I'm not sure. Also, where does one find Wheat germ? Is that a standard product in Homebrew stores?

When you use the word "tea" what do you mean? Is that just the term for a nutrient mix or am I supposed to boil the wheat germ with a tea bag as well for added nutrients from the tea?

i'm not sure what country you live in? but here in the states, i can buy a 22oz bag at the grocery store? i'd say 4oz's would be plenty for a 1 gallon batch. and yes just make a tea with it. so boil it in a bag, or boil it then strain it. (tastes better then, what i imagine yeast would taste like. never tried that though)

and yeah DAP is diammonium phosphate, but that's just a nitrogen booster....but yeast need vitamins and protein and stuff....just like you and me, wheat germ, is good for us too! ;) :mug:

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

What does boiling bread yeast do? Does that just kill the yeast so my brewer's yeast can feed off the dead yeast hulls or something?

Also, is there a good method for oxygenation? At the start of the brew I left the fermenter open to the air for a few minutes, then capped it and shook it vigorously for a couple minutes. I did this 3 or 4 times before pitching the yeast and 2 or 3 times more after pitching. Is there a better method?
Yes, boiling kills the yeast, you don't want it competing with the chosen yeast. Dead yeast contains pretty much everything yeast need, besides the sugar.

Shaking the wort is a reasonable start for oxygenation. The most effective method is to bubble pure O2 thru the wash using a porous stone. You small O2 cylinders at a hardware store where they sell propane and MAP gas for propane torches. Brewing supply stored sell valves, and complete kits with stones, for oxygenation.

Thank you to those who have replied already... sounds like I did not provide the yeast what they need
i'm not sure what country you live in? but here in the states, i can buy a 22oz bag at the grocery store? i'd say 4oz's would be plenty for a 1 gallon batch. and yes just make a tea with it. so boil it in a bag, or boil it then strain it. (tastes better then, what i imagine yeast would taste like. never tried that though)

and yeah DAP is diammonium phosphate, but that's just a nitrogen booster....but yeast need vitamins and protein and stuff....just like you and me, wheat germ, is good for us too! ;) :mug:

I'm in the US as well. I've never seen wheat germ at the grocery store though. Is it ever called something else? Some other product name but has the wheat germ in it?

I used LD Carlson Yeast Energizer too (which has yeast springcell in it)... is that still not a enough? Does the boiled wheat germ provide something that the Springcell in the energizer doesn't? Or does the energizer just not have enough springcell in it?

wheat germ will be in the health isle then, bob's red mill is the brand most stores carry.....

I've definitely seen Bob's Red Mill before... even bought a couple of their products before. Guess I've just never had any reason to look for the Wheat Germ before. Thanks for the brand name! Will make finding the germ much much easier!

wheat germ will be in the health isle then, bob's red mill is the brand most stores carry.....

So is there any sense in trying to add the Germ now? Or do you think this brew is a lost cause and you're just saying to do this next time I try a recipe like this? I mean, I'm definitely going to let this fermentation continue now that I've gotten it restarted, but should I added the germ or is it too late?

wheat germ is really the king of sugar washes....there's turbo yeast, but even triple distilled it still sucks!

but should I added the germ or is it too late?

well, it might be a bit more tart now, but it should ferment out if you add it now.....i'd take both mine and doug's advice and pour some of your wash in a pot, boil it with the wheat germ, then add it back to the jug.....should kick off, be done in a week or so....

wheat germ is really the king of sugar washes

"Sugar wash"? I thought the term "wash" was just for distilling? I don't intend to distill. I'm trying to just make a sugar wine/kilju.

I've been referring to it as a "must". Do you use the term "wash" even when you're not going to distill it?

well, it might be a bit more tart now, but it should ferment out if you add it now.....i'd take both mine and doug's advice and pour some of your wash in a pot, boil it with the wheat germ, then add it back to the jug.....should kick off, be done in a week or so....

Awesome, I'll have to go check my store shelves for the Germ. Hope they have it. I'd love to salvage this brew after trying to get it to work for the past 5 weeks.

"Must" is usually refers to fruit juice. You could call what you are working with sugar water, doesn't really matter that much.

"Must" is usually refers to fruit juice. You could call what you are working with sugar water, doesn't really matter that much.

good point. Guess it doesn’t really matter. The only place it would really matter is… Well, here, I guess. In a forum in which I want to make sure people understand what I’m talking about. But I guess it doesn’t really matter what term I use to think about it in my head. I know what it is. I could call it “Jeff” for all I cared, just so long as I know what it is.

good point. Guess it doesn’t really matter. The only place it would really matter is… Well, here, I guess. In a forum in which I want to make sure people understand what I’m talking about. But I guess it doesn’t really matter what term I use to think about it in my head. I know what it is. I could call it “Jeff” for all I cared, just so long as I know what it is.

well if you're expecting "natural" vodka...it's not the way it will work out...but i have mixed sweet wheat germ tea, fermented with baker's yeast to 16%ABV mixed with coke, really not too bad.....

well if you're expecting "natural" vodka...it's not the way it will work out...but i have mixed sweet wheat germ tea, fermented with baker's yeast to 16%ABV mixed with coke, really not too bad.....

i’m not sure what “natural vodka” is. Literally, I am just trying to make a sugar wine. That’s it. I’m not trying to get a certain amount of alcohol or a specific flavor. I really just wanted to see what would happen if I fermented a sugar wash with a large amount of sugar in it. I really didn’t care about the results, I just wanted to see what would happen, and I’m certainly not going for any sort of liquor, or distilled product, or vodka. Just a fermented white sugar-based brew.

There wasn’t really any sort of planned goal or objective. I just wanted to see what would happen.

I am Diabetic and bought this on clearance 50 cents not looking at sugar. killer for me! I decided to try something with it. 1 L of this mix and added 1/2 gal RO water and 1 whole pack fast rising bread yeast in gallon jug. (didn't want to waste good yeast) after 25 days it quit bubbling. I took no start gravity readings just was wondering what it would do. It fermented to FG 1.014 I went back and read with refractor with start reading of new bottle of mix OG reading (1.130 and Brix well above 30+ )
I chilled it and it was dry with no sweet taste (Alcohol ?? no taste ) 8 Oz glass of it, I added 1 tsp original mix and shot of Tequila Not bad but just playing around and seen this thread and can see some reason after you guys talking about needed other ingrediencies. I guess that is why I read this great form. Never a dull moment :bigmug:

Attachments

• IMG_1076 Test1.jpg
    IMG_1076 Test1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1077 test.jpg
    IMG_1077 test.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 33

You mentioned my gravity on this would likely be significantly lower than 1.000

How low should I expect? Will my hydrometer, which only goes down to 0.990, even be able to get an accurate reading?

It's possible to get as low as about .996 or .994. And this base is what is being used to make hard seltzer. A pound of table sugar per gallon of must (sugar and water making 1 gallon) will have a potential ABV of about 5.25 -5.5% ABV. You then add some flavoring and prime with sugar and then bottle.

You mentioned my gravity on this would likely be significantly lower than 1.000

How low should I expect? Will my hydrometer, which only goes down to 0.990, even be able to get an accurate reading?
3.1875 lb of sugar resulting in an SG of 1.141 equates to 32.45°P. Solving for weight of water gives 6.635 lb, or 0.7965 gal, and a total solution volume of 1.03 gal. 3.1875 lb of sugar will create 3.1875 * (4 * 46.07) / 342.3 = 1.716 lb of ethanol. The final solution will be 1.716 / (1.716 + 6.635) = 20.5 wt% ethanol. This will have an SG of about 0.968 @ 68°F or 0.970 @ 60°F.

Last edited:
3.1875 lb of sugar resulting in an SG of 1.141 equates to 32.45°P. Solving for weight of water gives 6.635 lb, or 0.7965 gal, and a total solution volume of 1.03 gal. 3.1875 lb of sugar will create 3.1875 * (4 * 46.07) / 342.3 = 1.716 lb of ethanol. The final solution will be 1.716 / (1.716 + 6.635) = 20.5 wt% ethanol. This will have an SG of about 0.968 @ 68°F or 0.970 @ 60°F.

Woah... Thanks for the info, but I did not understand a thing you just said... What the heck is "°P"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah... Thanks for the info, but I did not understand a thing you just said... What the heck is "°P"?
°P is degrees Plato, which is defined as the weight % of extract (sugar) in solution. °P = 100° * Wt of sugar / (wt of sugar + wt of water). It's used instead of (or in addition to SG) by many professional brewers. Lots of different calculations are easier to do working with Plato rather than SG.

It's possible to get as low as about .996 or .994. And this base is what is being used to make hard seltzer. A pound of table sugar per gallon of must (sugar and water making 1 gallon) will have a potential ABV of about 5.25 -5.5% ABV. You then add some flavoring and prime with sugar and then bottle.
Yes, I guess this is why so many companies are making hard seltzer now. It’s cheap, high profit, and there’s a demand especially with women because many of them are lower calorie.

Whenever I tried to ferment this kind of base back when alcopops were all the rage, I found it hard to get the clean, neutral ferment that would be needed to make this kind of beverage. Even with yeast nutrients and all. I read somebody said use wheat germ, never tried that,

I was actually thinking of trying to make a hard seltzer at home with vodka. Dilute it to the 5-5.5% and add flavoring. I don’t think I could get any cleaner than that.

Yes, I guess this is why so many companies are making hard seltzer now. It’s cheap, high profit, and there’s a demand especially with women because many of them are lower calorie.

Whenever I tried to ferment this kind of base back when alcopops were all the rage, I found it hard to get the clean, neutral ferment that would be needed to make this kind of beverage. Even with yeast nutrients and all. I read somebody said use wheat germ, never tried that,

I was actually thinking of trying to make a hard seltzer at home with vodka. Dilute it to the 5-5.5% and add flavoring. I don’t think I could get any cleaner than that.
I copied the Brulosophy recipe and it came out as clean as you would expect plus its crazy easy and quick. The flavoring wasn’t my thing but thats an east fix.

One thing about using vodka is that you will need to force carbonate it if you are looking for seltzer and if you don't have the equipment to do that then you will need to add sugar and yeast to prime the concoction and when you do that you will be left with a hazy solution caused by the dead yeast
cells. Commercial makers of hard seltzer almost certainly filter they product to remove all the particulates from the yeast and their by-products.

The other thing is the cost. What does a pound of sugar cost? That's the cost of a gallon of seltzer. What does a bottle of vodka cost. A fifth of that is the cost of a gallon of vodka. (I am excluding the cost of the yeast because after you make the first batch you can simply use the lees as your starter for the second or tenth batch.

Last edited:
Literally, I am just trying to make a sugar wine.

well, yeast need nutes. i believe you could add molases? i've made rumbullion before....and it would still be 'sugar wine'? i have no idea how much you'd have to add though.

but molasses is only about 50% fermentable, so keep that in mind....(that'd be something else to try, use light brown sugar for your next eperiment ;) i honestly don't know what would happen with that!)

Not sure if anyone will see this since it has been almost a week since the last post in this thread (does HomeBrewTalk notify you when the OP posts a reply in a thread you responded to, even if that reply isn't directed at you? I'm new here, still not sure what you will and won't get notifications about)

Anyway, I just wanted to post an update about my Sugar Wine.

Taking the recommendation of bracconiere (and others who made similar comments) I went out and looked for wheat germ... I did not find any in my local grocery store in the aisle where Bob's Red Mill products usually are, so I went and checked online to see if I could find something... then, while sitting there on my computer next to the fermenter, I noticed more bubbling than usual. Rather than bubbling once every 30-40 seconds like it had over the past couple of weeks, it was now bubbling once every 15-20 seconds. That was almost a week ago and it is still going at this rate today. Additionally, I tested it yesterday. On Saturday the 2nd, it was 1.078. Yesterday it read 1.060. It dropped 18 points in a week whereas it had been averaging a 13-15 point drop per week over the preceding 2 or 3 weeks before that.

I don't know why it picked up, but it is now going faster and working on its own. It will still take a while to finish, but for now I've decided to hold off on the Wheat Germ. I'll keep that option in my back pocket in case it all of a sudden slows down or stops again.

One plausible explanation is the ambient temp where the fermenter is located has risen. There are many other variables which could lead to an increase in fermentation but that’s the first thing that comes to mind.

So... it finally stopped. It wound up at 1.046 (12.5% abv) and won't go any lower. It tastes alright. The K1V produced A LOT of citrusy esters that make it almost taste like it has been flavored with Lemon-Lime flavoring syrup and combined then with how much sugar is left yields a very sweet and fruity wine (for comparison, in my experience, Mott's Apple Juice usually measures about 1.046 before brewing, so I'm guessing this brew has about the same amount of sugars... iow ~17.5g of sugar per 5 ounce serving). When I drink it, I add a dash of lemon (and/or lime) juice to it to enhance the citrusy notes and to temper the sweetness.

I'm certainly not disappointed with this outcome... but also not thrilled or anything like that (which is fine, I did this as an experiment and had low expectations). I'm not rushing to replicate this any time soon but it's also not the worst brew I've ever had and it is fairly drinkable. I might make something like this somewhere down the line with a modified recipe (mainly less sugar so it doesn't come out so sweet), but it is certainly not at the top of my list right now.

So you would want to try to figure out why the yeast stopped consuming sugar with more than a pound of fermentable sugar per gallon if the starting gravity was 1.141 (the yeast having fermented to about 13% ABV. Could be a problem with insufficient nutrients in the solution at the beginning. Might be some other problem but nothing in wine making happens for no reason and everything a wine maker normally does or does not do; every part of the process has a reason and has an effect.

So you would want to try to figure out why the yeast stopped consuming sugar... nothing in wine making happens for no reason and everything a wine maker normally does or does not do; every part of the process has a reason and has an effect.

Yeah, I’d certainly like to know why, but I neither have the tools/equipment nor the brewing experience (I’ve been doing this less than a year) to figure out on my own why it stopped.

i just looked up K1V yeast it says 18% alcohol tolerance....but in my experience, they're being hyperbolic. best i've EVER seen a yeast do is 16%, even the stuff with wild claims of 20%....

i'm really surprised this fermented without some nutes though, so who knows....

(and if anything, the "distillers yeast" claiming 20%, only went to about 13-14%, IIRC....got 16% repitching turbo yeast that said 18%)

i'm really surprised this fermented without some nutes though, so who knows....

I never said there were no nutrients... in fact, I specifically made a point of explaining that nutrients AND yeast energizer were added both at the start and at two different points after that (including during the attempt to unstick the ferment)... but maybe it wasn’t enough nutrients (of maybe too much)?

I never said there were no nutrients... in fact, I specifically made a point of explaining that nutrients AND yeast energizer were added both at the start and at two different points after that (including during the attempt to unstick the ferment)... but maybe it wasn’t enough nutrients (of maybe too much)?

i just remembered the DAP...which is just a nitrogen source...

Back