Slooooooooow sparge. Is this a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakeddog

Reaction score
Hey all. Sorry to have this as my first post here, but I am brewing with a new setup and am getting strange results.

I just put together a new brew setup where I am currently living. I have brewed in the past when I was still in NY, but this is my first time since moving to Helsinki almost 3yrs ago.

I have a small all grain brewing setup. Since my apartment is on the smaller size, I decided to do 1/2 batches of 2.5gallon all grain brews. I am using an 18l SS pot as my kettle and a second 18l SS pot as my MLT. I have a circular copper manifold attached to a ball valve outputing from the MLT. I've tested it with no grain for flow, and it was weak at best, but flowed well enough that I didn't think twice about it.

But now I am in the process of lautering out of the MLT into my kettle to begin my boil. It is going VERY slowly. So slowly that I have to check to see if it is still moving. No matter how many times, or how hard I get suction from the valve, the rate of drain is slow. But I don't think I have a stuck sparge, since when I do put suction on the hose, I get great flow. It's just not keeping up when it's on it's own.

So my question is this, is it a problem? I can wait all night, but I'm worried about temperature dropping. Already it has to be 15deg down from the 160 I started the sparging at. I was starting with a fly sparge, but with the slow rate I thought batch sparging it might speed things up with the added amount of liquid, but it did nothing.

Any thoughts?

your copper manifold, did you solder all the connections yourself? Did you pressure test it... per haps you have a leak? I use a false bottom now and get pretty great results with mine... Perhaps if this doesnt work for you a FB may be in your future.

Back