Slime bottom of brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjmartin

Reaction score
Hi,

After i have boiled the wort i get slime in the bottom. Is it good or bad?
I figure it is caramelised sugar or something. My pot is really old and made out of aluminium so its not top of the line. But i have made some nice beers with it. This is my 8th batch or something.

Anyone know about the slime?

/Patrik

Cold break. Proteins that settle out after the wort is chilled. It's perfectly normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Patrik, one of the things that you will find in this hobby is that there are a few things that are by-products of making beer that at first glance is "nasty" that is perfectly normal. When I started out, I was concerned with the klassen ring in my fermenter. Funky things happen. The age of your aluminum pot won't effect your beer negatively, if anything, because of the scale that has built up on it, it's positive.

I usually get a thin layer of a tough gluey residue on the bottom of the BK. Is that what you call slime? It scrubs off with some cleaner and a brush.

If you get a lot of it, it maybe extract that scorches on the bottom. You'll want to avoid that from happening by turning the heat off and stirring really well while adding the extract. LME sinks like a brick. Some wort caramelization during the boil is unavoidable and usually wanted, but scorched extract will make your beer taste very bad, like an ashtray.

I always took some hot wort out into another pot and dissolved the LME in that, then added the thinner mixture back to the BK, and stir it in.

The "slime" looks like liquid glue or jelly. I can get easily suck it up with a auto-siphon so its not that hard at all.
I have gotten this when using DME and now when i made a all-grain BIAB.

I generally leave as much cold break/hop material in the boil kettle as I can. Although it won't hurt if you did transfer it to the fermenter. Yeast actually like to have a little of the protein from the cold break. I don't transfer a bunch just so I can have as much clear beer when fermentation is done as possible. I know I read an article about all this not too long ago and now I can't find it. I thought it was on brulosophy.com but can't find it their now. I

Thanks for all the information! Now I know it's coldbreak. I always try to get as clean beer as possible from the pot but sometimes the whirlpool fails and i get some of the hop in the beer. Haven't been any problem so far but always nice to know all the different stuff that is happening in the brew process :)

I generally leave as much cold break/hop material in the boil kettle as I can. Although it won't hurt if you did transfer it to the fermenter. Yeast actually like to have a little of the protein from the cold break. I don't transfer a bunch just so I can have as much clear beer when fermentation is done as possible. I know I read an article about all this not too long ago and now I can't find it. I thought it was on brulosophy.com but can't find it their now. I

Here ya go: http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Latest posts

Back