slightly sour smell in Belgian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmason1623

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am very new to home brewing but with a book and this great forum I am learning...and having a blast doing so.

Anyways, my first batch was generally successful. I brewed the Cincinnati Pale Ale (the classic newbie recipe) taken from John Palmer's book. The beer lacked body but I'm thinking that may be due to using all extracts. Anyway, it was drinkable and somewhat enjoyable.

my second batch has me a little worried. It's supposed to be a Blue Moon Clone. Again, I used all extract and quite a bit of orange blossom honey which was boiled for 30 minutes. When I pitched the Wyeast 1214 yeast I did not make a starter since the guy at the LHBS said it wasn't necessary. It took about 24 hours for fermentation to begin but once it did it had a wonderful banana smell from the esthers as a Belgian yeast should from what I have read on here. It fermented in the primary for about 10 days. At this point I racked it into a secondary for a week (today actually), then I bottled it with boiled corn sugar solution from a bottling bucket.

Both times that I racked it (from primary to secondary, and secondary to bottling bucket) it had a slight sour smell taste to it. When I first noticed it was when I racked to a secondary. I figured it just needed to clean up and it would be fine. When I racked to the bottling bucket, I noticed the slight sour smell again. And again, I'm hoping that bottle conditioning will solve my sour smell.

The sour fragrance isn't as strong as vinegar but it does smell off to me. I wish I could articulate the fragrance better but I am at a loss for a better description. Also, I should note that the yeast was old (manufacture date Dec. 2008) and I didn't notice that until I was well underway with brewing on a Friday night. I didn't notice anything unusual about the beer as it sat in the primary or secondary. No strands or mold of any kind. I'm 99.9% sure of my sanitation preparations. So I'm hoping that it's just the yeast giving off weird odors.

What do you guys think? Thank you so much in advance for all of your help.

What temps did you ferment at? I'm guessing it's a mix between it being a green beer, yeast, and the citrus that you're smelling.

Also, where did you find the recipe for this? I wouldn't think a blue moon clone should be using 1214, and it definately shouldn't have any banana flavor.

And next time you brew a wheat beer, it's not necissary to use a secondary fermenter. The fresher, the better. I usually primary for 2 weeks max and tranfer to a keg or bottle.

The temps varied between 64F-76F. I don't remember exactly where I found the recipe but I saved a copy of it and posted it below. TIA.

Here's the recipe for:

Blue Moon Ale Clone

***NOTE: Knockout=Flameout, turning off the burner after boil is complete.***

5 lbs. Extra Light DME

2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey

1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes) for the entire boil.

½ oz. Hallertauer whole hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes) steep for 10 minutes after knockout.

1 oz. Coriander Seed (crushed - ½ boil 10 min, ½ steep 10 minutes) first half for the last 10 minutes of the boil; last half steep for 10 minutes after knockout.

1 oz. Orange Peel (zested fresh and dried, steep 10 minutes) steep for 10 minutes after knockout.

500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

Specifics:
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
SG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

I brewed a batch of California common with 1 and 1/2lb of orange honey blossom and it turned out very dry and sour. Could be that, or could be something else.

I brewed a batch of California common with 1 and 1/2lb of orange honey blossom and it turned out very dry and sour. Could be that, or could be something else.

mine also tasted a little dry. how long did you boil your honey for?

I've lost all my recipes thanks to beersmith crashing. I believe it was 15 minutes.

One more thing to add, my secondary add stuff floating on top that looked like oregano. I made the assumption that it was fragments of my hops or coriander or orange zest. Yes, I used a muslin bag but sometimes the fines leak out. Anyways, I hope my assumption is correct. TIA

One more thing to add, my secondary add stuff floating on top that looked like oregano. I made the assumption that it was fragments of my hops or coriander or orange zest. Yes, I used a muslin bag but sometimes the fines leak out. Anyways, I hope my assumption is correct. TIA

I would say you are correct.

the general consensus is that I shouldn't worry. I'll wait a month before cracking open a bottle and trying it. thanks everyone.

have a taste. even commercially brewed wheats do have bit of sour/tangy/estery smell - thats the beauty of it. btw, I brewed honey pale ale and had very specific "honey-ish" sour smell - I think that was produced from fermenting honey, anyway it mostly went away.

Ok. I just racked my 3rd batch into a secondary. It's a Belgian Strong Ale using the same Wyeast 1214 that I used on my Blue Moon Clone. The two smelled *very* similar to each other. Except that the Strong Ale didn't have a 'soury' smell. I'm thinking it's the Wyeast 1214 that I'm smelling. The 'soury' smell in the Blue Moon Clone must be from the honey, coriander, orange zest or a combination of any or all of the three. Since I am out of home brew. I will relax and have a Stella Artois instead and go over my notes for my fourth batch which is a Kolsch using lager yeast. The LHBS guy stringly suggested this yeast (Saflager W-34/70). He says it's the only thing he's been using for the last year and he's been brewing for 30 years. We shall see...<burp>...excuse me.

have a taste. even commercially brewed wheats do have bit of sour/tangy/estery smell - thats the beauty of it. btw, I brewed honey pale ale and had very specific "honey-ish" sour smell - I think that was produced from fermenting honey, anyway it mostly went away.

Andy, I'm gonna wait (or at least try) for about 4 weeks before cracking a bottle open and trying it. Your comments have reassured me a little more. Thanks.

Been going through a similar situation with wyeast 1214 myself. Had a bottle last night at "green stage" (two weeks in the bottle) as an experiment to see if the sort of odd, not-quite-sulfur not-quite-sour odour had taken off. It hadn't, and it tastes a tiny bit sour as well - but I remain confident the yeast will work itself out. Frankly I can see an upside to the very tiny amount of sourness! :)

Been going through a similar situation with wyeast 1214 myself. Had a bottle last night at "green stage" (two weeks in the bottle) as an experiment to see if the sort of odd, not-quite-sulfur not-quite-sour odour had taken off. It hadn't, and it tastes a tiny bit sour as well - but I remain confident the yeast will work itself out. Frankly I can see an upside to the very tiny amount of sourness! :)

I'm glad, yet sad, to read that someone else is experiencing the same results as me. I too will let it sit in the bottle for at least a month before trying it. Thanks for your feedback.

UPDATE

I cracked open a bottle because curiosity got the best of me. Obviously, it needs more time to carbonate since it was rather flat. Also, the sourness is gone but now it has a noticeable bubble gum flavor, like Juicy Fruit. I've read that these are caused by esters from warm fermenting temps. My question is: will it go away if I let the beer age for 3 months or more?

I just had a bottle of my belgian strong ale and time has been good to it. The greenness in the flavor is gone. It has a nice spicy bite to it with slight maltiness (it's an extract brew). I wouldn't say that it's awesome but I do think it's tasty. When in doubt just give it some time.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

Back