Slight sweetness, yeast didn't do its job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I made a california common a while back and kegged it last week, tasting it now and it has a distinct sweet taste to it. I'm wondering if it didn't fully ferment and has some residual sugars or something else entirely?
My OG was 1.055, the style is 1.048 to 1.054. The FG was 1.018, the style says 1.011 to 1.014, is that .004 too much?
My recipe:
18.41 lbs (was a little short) of 2 row pale malt
2lb crystal 40
1 lb carapils
1 lb flaked corn
1.75 oz northern brewer at boil
.9 oz northern brewer at 15
.5 oz northern brewer at end of boil
white labs San Francisco lager yeast
Primary at 63-68 degrees over 68 days then kegged.

I made an 10 gallon batch, put half each into two different carboys. One had a 1.5L starter and one used a vial only. FG readings came out same. This was the one with the starter.

Any thoughts, advice, greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

that's a little sweet. likely due a little to the corn but especially the carapils, since carapils doesn't ferment. i wouldn't add corn or carapils to a steam

This is a 10 gallon batch, yes? You have 3 pounds of crystal malt in that bill, and I'm going to guess that is why you're getting some sweetness, and a slightly high FG. Yeah, now that I look at it, that's over 13% crystal malt. That will definitely give some residual sweetness.

thanks for the feedback. GuldTuborg 2lbs, 9% total bill crystal 40 malt. Consensus is on the crystal 40 and not full fermentation then? Might try this recipe again minus the crystal and look at a few other cal common recipes. lumpher, would be interested in seeing yours. Thanks fellas. cheers!

thanks for the feedback. GuldTuborg 2lbs, 9% total bill crystal 40 malt. Consensus is on the crystal 40 and not full fermentation then? Might try this recipe again minus the crystal and look at a few other cal common recipes. lumpher, would be interested in seeing yours. Thanks fellas. cheers!

Carapils is also a crystal malt! That's three pounds total, at least one pound or more too much. The corn reduces the "maltiness" of the beer, so I think the combo of corn which lightens it up and three pounds of crystal make the beer seem too sweet.

I like victory malt in a california common! I have two recipes posted, if you want to look.

Back