Skullsplitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIM_Tattoos

Reaction score
There is the beer critiquing section and the review section, but I don't think this thread fits under either.

So I bought a four pack of this tonight, $12 later. This beer tastes like a cats cinnamon hole and there's soooo much crap in the bottom of the bottle, easily a half inch.

So, did I get a bad pack? Is it supposed to look and taste this bad? It tastes like a Belgium a really bad one. It sucks.....

Please tell me it's a bad pack...

* When I purchased the pack it was in the back of the fridge and there was a bunch of dust on the bottles.

Skullsplitter is one of the worst tasting experiences I have ever had. My description likening it to a dirty rubber bath mat is still often brought up amongst friends. Must be prone to some bad matched/handling.

What a great name for a beer. I think I would have to try it just because of the name.

I've never had a bottle of Skullsplitter with anywhere close to 1/2" of sediment in the bottle, and I've had quite a few bottles in my day... No beer should ever have that much sediment! Something is wrong.

I love Skullersplitter! The peat smoked malt might be what gets you about that beer. Smoked Peat Malt is strong stuff......

Could be. Not really familiar with smoked peat.
So smoked peat=rotten meat taste?
Is this something that are a standard in most Scottish styles? because every "scottish beer" I ever had has this taste somewhere in it

I keep a record of each beer I try, its my hobby, and out of 379 beers in my "ale-manac" Skull Splitter was the 4th beer I recorded, and I've enjoyed it many times since. That said, the responses I've had from getting friends and drinking companions who try Skull Splitter wasn't far from what's written here before me. It's hard to get into, smoky and somewhat figgy flavors of a very old Orkney recipe like this one seem off putting to more than a few people, but its in that oddity of complexity that I fell in love with it. The dark, figgy taste can conjure up a mental image of rainsoaked shores of the Isle of Orkney itself, with a menacing viking ship harbored just offshore. It's based on a very old recipe, one made when life was harsher and tastes in brews often mirror life, capturing a time in a bottle. This one just happened to capture a darker time, and might not be on par with modern pallets, that said, I still love Skullsplitter.

Could be. Not really familiar with smoked peat.

So smoked peat=rotten meat taste?

Is this something that are a standard in most Scottish styles? because every "scottish beer" I ever had has this taste somewhere in it

Next time you're at the lhbs open up the peat smoked malt and you'll know. To me it smells like bacon.

I'm a big scotch fan and peat smoked malt is still some really pungent stuff.

Back