Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like cranberry and tart cherry. What form? concentrate or juice?
What volume do you use to 5 gal of SP?
I know it is a trial and error thing.
And when do you add it? During the ferment or after it is finished and stablized.

Thanks for any consideration.

I use R.W. Knudsen tart cherry juice. One 32fl oz glass bottle added to a 1 gallon carboy and top up to the one gallon. So for a 5 gallon batch. Stabilize the SP first once fermentation ends and wait 24 hours. Then add 5 32fl oz bottles to a new 5 gallon carboy and rack the SP on top of it till full. Back sweeten to taste after that. You will have left over SP so you can probably put the rest in a gallon carboy and have a few bottles of strait SP along with your tart cherry.

Does this have to be racked to a sec Carboy or can it stay in one Carboy the whole time?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Train. This is my first batch, but I would assume from normal brewing that racking to the 2nd is highly recommended for clarity and to avoid any off tastes leaving it on the yeast might cause. I welcome any seasoned pee'ers to comment though.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Train. This is my first batch, but I would assume from normal brewing that racking to the 2nd is highly recommended for clarity and to avoid any off tastes leaving it on the yeast might cause. I welcome any seasoned pee'ers to comment though.

I always secondary just for clearing purposes. Yeast autolysis is not really a danger here.

K thanks guys for the feed back hopefully one of my other beers will be done in time to rack to another Carboy when it ready

is it possible to OVER age pee? I've had mine bulk aging for about two months and will keep it there till the first weekend in june... I assume it will still be just fine?

is it possible to OVER age pee? I've had mine bulk aging for about two months and will keep it there till the first weekend in june... I assume it will still be just fine?

Just wondering why you would do that? No means of bottling? This does not get better with age.

I'm not aging it for any particular reason, I don't expect it to get better. I just made the batch to see what it would be like (making and tasting.) I haven't bottled it simply because I never planned to, it's going on a canoe trip and will be consumed post haste.

Just wondering why you would do that? No means of bottling? This does not get better with age.

I think it is an overstatement to say that this does not get better with age. I think all wines mature and get better over time. Just some more than others but admittedly I think SP does not change much over time.

To the original question, no I do not think you can "over age" SP. If you can stay away from it then feel free to age aaa much as you like bit do not expect drastic differences from month 3 - 12.

thanks Arpolis, I know most fruit wines have a maximum age window of about a year. I didn't think I was destroying this piss, just wondering since evryone talks about drinking it so soon.

I'm going to make Iced tea out of my batch, instead of dunkin th bags in water I'll dunk 'em in the pee pot! then sweeten to taste...I think it'll be a hit.

I would think this would make a really nice ice cold Arnold Palmer and still come in at around 4 to 5 % ABV. sounds good on a hot afternoon. The tart cherry addition sounds really good to me. I have some gallon jugs around so I think I'll mix the one gallon batch. That cherry juice is really pricey around here.
I also have a bottle of the liquid cranberry concentrate for wine making so I think I'll fool around with a quart of SP and see what kind of flavor profile I can develop with that.

Cheers

Ok so I added the last bottle of juice and nutrient and energizer two days ago @ 1.05 gravity. Per the directions it says to rack to a carboy two or three days later (today). Then it says let ferment dry and rack to a carboy again (tertiary?). Do I really need to rack it a third time once dry or is that just for people who are ocd about clarity?

Ok so I added the last bottle of juice and nutrient and energizer two days ago @ 1.05 gravity. Per the directions it says to rack to a carboy two or three days later (today). Then it says let ferment dry and rack to a carboy again (tertiary?). Do I really need to rack it a third time once dry or is that just for people who are ocd about clarity?

I don't even rack it 3 days after adding the juice and last round of nutrient. I let it ferment nearly completely in primary and then rack. Yes the multiple rackings are for people that want to be sure they get clear bottles.

I just bottled my first batch of this stuff, and I ended up racking the 3rd time because the sediment that had settled into the grooves in the carboy sides became re-suspended as soon as I moved the carboy. It came out crystal clear! :D It is nearly colorless too. :p I was expecting it to be a bit more yellow, but it's pretty tasty! :drunk:

Actually just racked it to my 6.5 carboy @ 1.0 and will rack it to my 5 gallon when it's dry. Only 15 days to our rehearsal dinner so I hope it will be ready. Hopefully the headspace in the 6.5 won't be a problem while it drops from 1.0 to dry. How long do you think that would take? 5 more days?

My pee when racking to the secondary @ 1.0.

1393557189203.jpg

Actually just racked it to my 6.5 carboy @ 1.0 and will rack it to my 5 gallon when it's dry. Only 15 days to our rehearsal dinner so I hope it will be ready. Hopefully the headspace in the 6.5 won't be a problem while it drops from 1.0 to dry. How long do you think that would take? 5 more days?

Check the gravity in about 2 days, then check every 2 days after that. When you have 3 of the same reading in a row then feel free to stabilize, throw your finnings in the pee and let it clear. Rack it once the finnings are complete and back sweeten. If it hazes up with sweetening then give it a few days. If you can put the carboy outside to cool it off without it freezing that helps clear it pretty quickly.

I followed the directions and only ended up with a sg of 1.060 is that ok I got tired of stirring in extra sugar to get to 1.070

Check the gravity in about 2 days, then check every 2 days after that. When you have 3 of the same reading in a row then feel free to stabilize, throw your finnings in the pee and let it clear. Rack it once the finnings are complete and back sweeten. If it hazes up with sweetening then give it a few days. If you can put the carboy outside to cool it off without it freezing that helps clear it pretty quickly.

Here in Phoenix it's like 75-80 during the day and gets down to 60 at night ish. Will that fluctuation cause issues? House is at 70 right now. Can leave it in my garage to avoid the sun I guess. How to you backsweeten personally? Let people add simple syrup at the time of pouring a portion or do you backsweeten the whole batch? How so?

I followed the directions and only ended up with a sg of 1.060 is that ok I got tired of stirring in extra sugar to get to 1.070

Hey Train. I started at 1.065 myself. Should be fine. Just will be lower abv than 10%.

Here in Phoenix it's like 75-80 during the day and gets down to 60 at night ish. Will that fluctuation cause issues? House is at 70 right now. Can leave it in my garage to avoid the sun I guess. How to you backsweeten personally? Let people add simple syrup at the time of pouring a portion or do you backsweeten the whole batch? How so?

After you have added the Camden, sorbate and finnings, allowed to clear and rack into a clean carboy. Siphon off about 1/2 gallon of the SP and add the 6 cups of sugar per the original SP recipe and stir it up well. It should just about all dissolve. The pour that slowly back into the clear SP.

Just leave the carboy outside overnight About 60*F will help clear if needed.

I would think this would make a really nice ice cold Arnold Palmer and still come in at around 4 to 5 % ABV. sounds good on a hot afternoon. The tart cherry addition sounds really good to me. I have some gallon jugs around so I think I'll mix the one gallon batch. That cherry juice is really pricey around here.
I also have a bottle of the liquid cranberry concentrate for wine making so I think I'll fool around with a quart of SP and see what kind of flavor profile I can develop with that.

Cheers

NOT Arnold Palmer....AL CZERVIK!!! :rockin:

Two days after racking to the secondary I'm at 1.0. Very cloudy and tastes kinda strange. Not bad, just different. Assuming it will be better when it's done and sweetened.

1393730754911.jpg

1393730769244.jpg

1393730781115.jpg

It will get better once its done and sweetened. Let it finish fermenting dry (mine go all the way down to .989-.992 FG every time) which should only take a few more days, then transfer again to clarify with sorbate, kmeta and sparkalloid per SP recipe. It will look like piss once it clears up, as the name suggests. Dont rush Skeeter Pee, it will be worth the (short) wait

What is the difference between fermaid k and diammonium phosphate which one is nutrient and which one is energizer or are the same thing might have got them mixed up for this recipe if so will it make a difference?

It will get better once its done and sweetened. Let it finish fermenting dry (mine go all the way down to .989-.992 FG every time) which should only take a few more days, then transfer again to clarify with sorbate, kmeta and sparkalloid per SP recipe. It will look like piss once it clears up, as the name suggests. Dont rush Skeeter Pee, it will be worth the (short) wait

Ok thanks. Will test the gravity again today.

What is the difference between fermaid k and diammonium phosphate which one is nutrient and which one is energizer or are the same thing might have got them mixed up for this recipe if so will it make a difference?

Nutrient = DAP
Energizer = Fermaid K

That is how I always used it.

Ok if that's how it is then I did it right.

I have seen people do it the other way successful but I have made SP several times now and done other lemon based recipes and have no issues. As long as you follow all the other bits of the recipe and practice you should be fine.

I started a batch of SP this weekend using a starter I made from 3 cans of Welch's raspberry and white grape juice. If it turns out anything like it smells now, this will be fantastic.

Three days after the secondary here is my gravity reading. Think it's time to rack to the tertiary? Tastes a lot more tart than a few days ago. Is it possible the last bottle didn't ferment or is this normal?

1393989702540.jpg

Three days after the secondary here is my gravity reading. Think it's time to rack to the tertiary? Tastes a lot more tart than a few days ago. Is it possible the last bottle didn't ferment or is this normal?

The bubbles obscure it a little but looks like it went from 1.000 the other day to .996 it looks?

.996 is in the middle of the averages of finishing gravities from many batches. It may drop more or may not. It is low enough that if you hit it with a healthy amount of K-meta/crushed Camden and sorbate that it should be fine. You can probably rack, add the stabilizers, 12-24 hours add the finning agents. Then once all the sediment drops out rack again and back sweeten. Then if you wanted to do any flavorings you can do that then. Just watch the gravity for a few days after back sweetening to make sure fermentation is not picking back up.

To go from 1.00 to .996 in a few days is normal. My SP batches all have gotten down to .996-.988 FG. I'd give it a few more days as it might get EVEN lower, then transfer and stabilize/sparkalloid per recipe.

The secret I've found with SP is dont rush the clarifying step. It can be 1 week or 5 before sediment drops out.
Before backsweetening the flavor of SP can be very tart and underwhelming, its amazing what a little sugar does to bring those subtle, non-lemon fruit flavors back to the forefront.

Thanks. I will test it in a day or two, but we were hoping to drink it next Friday at our wedding rehearsal dinner.

Latest posts

Back