Meat Grinders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been recently trying my hand at sausage making. I'm about six batches in and have been using the Kitchenaid grinder attachment.

I'll be investing in a bigger grinder and want to hear if anyone has experience with a dedicated grinder.

Cabela's has their Carnivore brand .5hp for sale at 350 currently. I was looking at the LEM or Meat brands but this seems like a good deal (plus I have a $100 gc).

I've been thinking about upgrading too (ground 10# pork this weekend for salami). I keep thinking I'm going to burn up the KA motor, especially when feeding semi-frozen fat through it.

The one nice thing about the KA is that when you're done grinding you can pull off the grinder attachment and but on the beater and mix your sausage meat and spices.

If you get one, please post back here with your thoughts. Thanks!

I do a decent amount of meat processing and upgraded to a lem big bite #12 a few years ago and I'm glad I did. I cant feed the hopper fast enough during the first grind. The only thing I will say that I learned with it is during the second grind. Here you need to keep the meat borderline frozen, the auger will get warm and almost start to cook the meat. I read about this after it happened thinking something was wrong but turns out when your grinding 50lbs of meat you gotta do things slowly. What I do is lubricate the auger with crisco, it stays on well and help the whole process go smoother. No more heating up.

Edit- I also put the auger and pieces in the freezer for 20 minutes or so before I start my second grind. Just like anything else there is a learning curve and everyone's process is probably a little different. Side note, you can also purchase mixer attachments that can mix 25 or 50 lbs at one time.

Last edited:
I've got a NESCO grinder from the early 2000's that I use to process a couple deer a year. It's big, loud, and heavy, but it sure turns chunks into burger at a good clip.

I wouldn't be able to give much of a recommendation regarding what's out there now, but I would definitely recommend upgrading from the kitchen aide grinder for bigger jobs.

Can't give a rec on a bigger, better grinder as I'm still using a Kitchenaid attachment too.

But, I have looked around and usually see meat grinders listed on Marketplace and Craigslist for fairly short money, if you haven't already checked listings like that.

Following...

I have a cheapo countertop grinder and have used it 3 times since end of summer. I like it so far, but I wonder about longevity compared to the $200+ models. Mine came from the resale stores I have a buddy who is a hound for deals. I paid $15-20 for it so I am not complaining.

The only disadvantage I have had with the cheapo, in my very limited experience, is the blades are keyed for a hexagon and that does not mesh with the standard square shaft for other models. These models can be had for less than $100 on amazon

I do a decent amount of meat processing and upgraded to a lem big bite #12 a few years ago and I'm glad I did. I cant feed the hopper fast enough during the first grind. The only thing I will say that I learned with it is during the second grind. Here you need to keep the meat borderline frozen, the auger will get warm and almost start to cook the meat. I read about this after it happened thinking something was wrong but turns out when your grinding 50lbs of meat you gotta do things slowly. What I do is lubricate the auger with crisco, it stays on well and help the whole process go smoother. No more heating up.

Edit- I also put the auger and pieces in the freezer for 20 minutes or so before I start my second grind. Just like anything else there is a learning curve and everyone's process is probably a little different. Side note, you can also purchase mixer attachments that can mix 25 or 50 lbs at one time.
That’s a really nice model! I recently purchased a LEM 5lb stuffer, it works great and I think it will outlast me by a century or so.

Do you guys sharpen/flatten the cutting surfaces? I wet sand them occasionally. Wetted 320 grit on a marble surface, 5 or 10 strokes. Not sure if it's necessary. I can tell you, though, the blades are sharp as hell and the plate is flat.

1705424182366.png

Following...

I have a cheapo countertop grinder and have used it 3 times since end of summer. I like it so far, but I wonder about longevity compared to the $200+ models.

It's not an uncommon question but in reverse do you really need a commercial/industrial grade unit for that amt of use? Probably not, but need and want are not one and the same. :)

Do you guys sharpen/flatten the cutting surfaces? I wet sand them occasionally. Wetted 320 grit on a marble surface, 5 or 10 strokes. Not sure if it's necessary. I can tell you, though, the blades are sharp as hell and the plate is flat.

View attachment 839280
I have not... but I know now that I'm going to, don't know why I never thought to sharpen them. Good pointer there.

View attachment 839280
Over the years mine was binding up more often with all the tendons and connective tissue I was running through. Finally gave the blades and plate some love on the sharpening stone and instantly went back to chopping everything to bits.

I've been thinking about upgrading too (ground 10# pork this weekend for salami). I keep thinking I'm going to burn up the KA motor, especially when feeding semi-frozen fat through it.

The one nice thing about the KA is that when you're done grinding you can pull off the grinder attachment and but on the beater and mix your sausage meat and spices.

If you get one, please post back here with your thoughts. Thanks!
My last batch was 14lbs of Texas hot links. Boy that was really pushing my KA. If I kill that thing, my wife will do the same to me.

My last batch was 14lbs of Texas hot links. Boy that was really pushing my KA. If I kill that thing, my wife will do the same to me.
My wife wouldn't know how to turn the thing on. Long time ago, I bought the base model KA (Artisan?). If it dies, no tears, I'll get the bigger model which I've desired. I did see smoke come out of mine once while mixing really dry dough for pizza. Stills works though. I switched to using the food processor for thick pizza dough.

If I kill that thing, my wife will be getting a new one immediately, in the color of her choice.

She's already told me so 😂

It's not an uncommon question but in reverse do you really need a commercial/industrial grade unit for that amt of use? Probably not, but need and want are not one and the same. :)

Are you actually a homebrewer? Don't you know that overkill is the only acceptable kind of kill?

I'd love to get a nice big meat slicer that will have no trouble for bacon. You know, a 12" Waring from a failed restaurant or Jersey Mike's or something. That I would literally use only a couple of times a year, and have literally NOWHERE to store (which is probably the reason I haven't bought one).

I want the stuff that my grandchildren (who haven't been born yet) will be able to use ;)

That’s the rub for me. I make my own country sausage and bratwurst, but rarely do as much as 20# at a time. I have the hand grinders from both of my grandmothers. They still do the job. I confess, I have coveted a new shiny electric model, but it would take me longer to clean up than to grind with my small batches 3-4 times a year. Where to store it is also an issue.

My wife has a KA mixer, and a friend gave me a grinder attachment, but I have not dared to give it a try; I might burn up the KA, or get spoiled with going electric. 😁

Besides, it always makes me think of grandma and how hard she worked fixing up things for us to eat and enjoy.

That’s the rub for me. I make my own country sausage and bratwurst, but rarely do as much as 20# at a time. I have the hand grinders from both of my grandmothers. They still do the job. I confess, I have coveted a new shiny electric model, but it would take me longer to clean up than to grind with my small batches 3-4 times a year. Where to store it is also an issue.

My wife has a KA mixer, and a friend gave me a grinder attachment, but I have not dared to give it a try; I might burn up the KA, or get spoiled with going electric. 😁

Besides, it always makes me think of grandma and how hard she worked fixing up things for us to eat and enjoy.
Yep I remember my german/dutch grandma cranking the grinder to make Balkenbraj (dutch scrapple). We ate a lot of that.

I recently before Christmas, bought LEM #12 grinder with their 25% off sale . I researched all the larger grinders from Cabela’s, Meat , Valley, Sausage Maker,commercial grinders up to $3-4k . Only the largest commercial machines are made in the USA. I read reviews and make my decisions off the reviews, you can spot the fake and the reviews that have an ax to grind, so you weigh the pros and cons. I grind about 200 pounds of deer , elk , pork etc per year, make sausage, ground meat etc. l was sold on the LEM dual grind, but after the research, decided that it was more of a gimmick than a process that was useful. Bottom line , a quality grinder and cold ,almost frozen meat is the key to success. I have a few chest freezers that I use for home brew, but are invaluable for meat processing. I put all my meat and grinder parts in the freezer between processes when I’m making sausage etc. but once cry once and overkill , you will never regret.

I recently before Christmas, bought LEM #12 grinder with their 25% off sale . I researched all the larger grinders from Cabela’s, Meat , Valley, Sausage Maker,commercial grinders up to $3-4k . Only the largest commercial machines are made in the USA. I read reviews and make my decisions off the reviews, you can spot the fake and the reviews that have an ax to grind, so you weigh the pros and cons. I grind about 200 pounds of deer , elk , pork etc per year, make sausage, ground meat etc. l was sold on the LEM dual grind, but after the research, decided that it was more of a gimmick than a process that was useful. Bottom line , a quality grinder and cold ,almost frozen meat is the key to success. I have a few chest freezers that I use for home brew, but are invaluable for meat processing. I put all my meat and grinder parts in the freezer between processes when I’m making sausage etc. but once cry once and overkill , you will never regret.
Very helpful, thank you.

There's been a lot of great info given here. Admittedly, I can suffer from analysis paralysis.

I've got a ton of home projects before I can focus on this so I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks to see if anything pops up on sale. I'll probably end up purchasing either a LEM or Meat brand. They seem to have the best warranty as well.

Sign up at LEM to receive texts emails, sales are always popping up 20% available now. Seems like the longer I waited, the more specials pop up . I’ve seen 20 ,23 ,25% over the last month.

Sign up at LEM to receive texts emails, sales are always popping up 20% available now. Seems like the longer I waited, the more specials pop up . I’ve seen 20 ,23 ,25% over the last month.
Yup^
All I’ve gotten over the last few days is “free shipping”
I can wait for their next sale.

Here’s a tip, look at the website and put a few things in the cart (sign in)and let it sit . This is one reason that tracking is good, they’ll send you emails and offers . I frequently get texts from Linda asking if there is a problem with check out or if they can help with the order. Let it sit , it seems they don’t want to lose a sale.

Here’s a tip, look at the website and put a few things in the cart (sign in)and let it sit . This is one reason that tracking is good, they’ll send you emails and offers . I frequently get texts from Linda asking if there is a problem with check out or if they can help with the order. Let it sit , it seems they don’t want to lose a sale.
Great tip. I just added stuff to my cart.

Update;
I bit the bullet and purchased a MEAT 1hp grinder. It was a recent sale and I paid $509, regularly 599.

It’s definitely more than I need but what the heck. I have some friends and coworkers who are getting into sausage making so I’m pretty sure this thing will be passed around.

This thing is super beefy. The auger alone weighs 3lbs. I’m sure I’ll spend a lot more time cleaning than grinding but that’s ok with me. This grinder will outlast me by a few decades I’m sure.

It just arrived a few days ago so I haven’t used it yet. Today I cleaned all the stainless parts. Hopefully this week.
I’ll give an update on the performance soon.
IMG_2198.jpeg
IMG_2199.jpeg
IMG_2189.jpeg

Ok so I finally got around to breaking it in.

I grinded about 20lbs of meat. About 7lbs from a brisket that I’ll use as hamburger meat and the rest was a pork butt that I split in two for brats and Italian sausage.

Here are some initial thoughts;
-it comes w two grinding plates, a 4.5 and 10mm. It seems like there should be a middle sized plate. I ground everything twice. For the sausage I did half w fine plate and the other half through the 10mm for a variety of texture.
-this thing grinds faster than I can load the hopper. It’s so powerful that I ended up grinding some of the meat that was still pretty frozen. No trouble at all. At one point I left the grinder on while I was cleaning stuff and the motor never got hot. It was barely warmer than room temp.
-cleaning is about what I expected and not much more difficult than my kitchen aid, just bigger parts.
-that big steering wheel looking lock ring is great. Even with greasy hands I could easily change out the plates.

I’m very pleased with it and would recommend this brand- kinda.
When I placed my order I immediately received an email with the order # etc. 8 days went by and I hadn’t heard anything so I called their customer service and they were apologetic and said I’ll be receiving a tracking # and email shortly, which I did. The next day it arrived.
Two weeks after I got the grinder, I get an email stating it was arriving shortly.
A little annoying but I can look past it especially since I’m so happy with the grinder.

IMG_2210.jpeg
IMG_2208.jpeg
IMG_2208.jpeg

Both the brats and Italian sausage came out great.
I need to eat sausage and peppers more often.

Both recipes were from the Marianski book. Their recipes are old school and proven. I can’t wait to try more from their book.

I need more practice when it comes to casing. Oh well, even the mistakes taste great.
For some reason my sausages always curve. No big deal. It’s fine. I’m not self conscious about it or anything.
IMG_2212.jpeg

IMG_2211.jpeg
IMG_2218.jpeg

Both the brats and Italian sausage came out great.
I need to eat sausage and peppers more often.

Both recipes were from the Marianski book. Their recipes are old school and proven. I can’t wait to try more from their book.

I need more practice when it comes to casing. Oh well, even the mistakes taste great.
For some reason my sausages always curve. No big deal. It’s fine. I’m not self conscious about it or anything.
View attachment 843632
View attachment 843633View attachment 843634

Nothing better than sausage chunks and pinapple chunks skewered and grilled. Sausage and pinapple are a great combo.

Nothing better than sausage chunks and pinapple chunks skewered and grilled. Sausage and pinapple are a great combo.
That sounds delicious. I’ll have to give that a shot. Grilled pineapple is underrated. The only recipe I know of is huli huli chicken. This gives me another excuse to grill piñas.

Back