Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy skeeter krausen batman!!! Guess I didn't need energizer and nutrient for acai blueberry concentrate. Just measured ABV after 3 days and went from 1.070 to 1.030. Never seen a fermentation this quick. Using 1118 yeast slurry from previous batch, 64oz concentrate and 7lbs invert sugar. Haven't checked it in a couple days and found this lol...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410653473.945131.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410653488.325427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So my soon-to-be Father-In-Law heard about how good this stuff was from his wife when she was at the bridal shower. He called yesterday asking where he can pick up bottles for us to fill for him so he can have some.

Guess we'll be brewing this a little more often now!

Acai blueberry pee went from 1.070 to .990 to my surprise and was still bubbling after 1 month!!! Off to secondary. Gonna have to back sweeten the heck out of this one.

Skeeter Per with orange juice instead of Lemon Juice is disgusting. Just a heads up for those thinking of trying it... /sitting on 5 gallons of yuk!

I bottled my batch that was backsweetened with frozen strawberry concentrate and I didn't like it at first but it is growing on me. I will probably try adding fruits to primary and sweetening normally next time

I haven't made it yet but it is definitely high on my list. I get thirsty for some every time I read about it or see a picture of it.

"If you have to ask if it's too early to drink wine, you're an amateur and we can't be friends." - ANONYMOUS

"Sure wine is good for you, but I drink it anyway." - WINEPHARM

Holy skeeter krausen batman!!! Guess I didn't need energizer and nutrient for acai blueberry concentrate. Just measured ABV after 3 days and went from 1.070 to 1.030. Never seen a fermentation this quick. Using 1118 yeast slurry from previous batch, 64oz concentrate and 7lbs invert sugar. Haven't checked it in a couple days and found this lol...

View attachment 223798View attachment 223799

That 1118 yeast is a fermenting machine. I had the same experience with my first kit, a white zin.

"If you have to ask if it's too early to drink wine, you're an amateur and we can't be friends." - ANONYMOUS

View attachment 223798View attachment 223799

That 1118 yeast is a fermenting machine. I had the same experience with my first kit, a white zin.

Don't add nutriants to a overly full carboy. Had a skeeter pee valcano in the kitchen. Thank god I got it cleaned up b4 wife got home

I bottled my batch that was backsweetened with frozen strawberry concentrate and I didn't like it at first but it is growing on me. I will probably try adding fruits to primary and sweetening normally next time

A little strawberries in the beginning seem to go a LONG way.
I just Sorbate'd a batch of strawberry that made as normal with 1 lb of frozen strawberries in primary. Tasted hydro sample before adding sorbate and WOW, even dry as a bone, this stuff still tastes good. Its amazing how much the flavor of only 1 lb of fruit comes through. The Dragon's Blood batches Ive done in the past, the mixed berries leave behind REALLY tart taste once fermented out, and need juice and sugar backsweeten to get sweet "berry" flavor back, but strawberries alone leave behind a much better flavor IMO. If its bearable now, it should only get better once its done!

Also, I fermented this 6 gallon batch AND 2 gallon Mango SP batch with a 1/2 gallon starter of harvested EC1118 yeast combined from two small batches of pom and blackberry wine I made months ago. Starter 100% Juicy Juice strawberry kiwi, pinch of DAP and some sugar to get to 1.070ish

Montrachet may cost less than $1, but EC1118 is free if you harvest it, and since this recipe calls for slurry anyways, why NOT harvest. I washed the yeast from the primary in this batch already, and now have canning jars in the fridge with yeast for my next 3 batches of SP. :ban:

WTH.

About 12 years ago I planted a lemon tree on the side of my house.

Since then, I've thrown hundreds (thousands) of lemons... no idea what to do with that many lemons.

I had no idea that this skeeter pee stuff was made with lemons. Der!

You're a pretty girl.

WTH.

About 12 years ago I planted a lemon tree on the side of my house.

Since then, I've thrown hundreds (thousands) of lemons... no idea what to do with that many lemons.

I had no idea that this skeeter pee stuff was made with lemons. Der!

Fascinating what you can learn on this forum;)

Good stuff, I don't consume a lot but the ladies love it.

Ok so I have let this (Skeeter Pee recipe but using Orange Juice instead of Lemon) sit in the garage for about 4 months to see if it starts to taste any better, it's not.

So any idea of a strong flavor I can use to overpower it? Should I try a juice or a concentrate or a flavoring?

Any thoughts / ideas / or personal experiences appreciated!

Sprite!! Poor 1/3 into the glass and add bad pee

I typically carbonate and backsweeten with Splenda, so not sure if sprite will make difference other than give it a syrupy taste on top of the bad taste. I was thinking Cherry, Rasberry, or some other strong fruity flavor to mask the yuk.

I'll let you guys know if this can be saved via fruit overpowering!

Dude, orange is tough. When I made an orange pineapple cider one time that tasted like vomit, I back sweetened with few cans of Old Orchard Berry Blend 100% juice concentrate and the "devil juice" ended up tasting quite drinkable. Try that, and forget carbing. Keep it as a still wine, and juice plus enough sugar will overwhelm the yuck.

Could I use a yeast starter instead of the slurry method? I was thinking about adding water, a little amount of lemon juice, sugar, nutrient to a bottle (warmed liquids) and adding the yeast and letting it run for 2 days before dumping that into the larger batch.

Could I use a yeast starter instead of the slurry method? I was thinking about adding water, a little amount of lemon juice, sugar, nutrient to a bottle (warmed liquids) and adding the yeast and letting it run for 2 days before dumping that into the larger batch.

You could try and see. Lemon juice is very acidic and pitching yeast into such a bath without any real preparation may create a great deal of unnecessary stress. The idea of using slurry is that the colony of yeast that you are pitching has had weeks (not hours) to become acclimatized to rather more extremes of environment. But a two day old starter may work although , again, including lemon juice in the starter may not be as wise as say, using apple juice...

You could try and see. Lemon juice is very acidic and pitching yeast into such a bath without any real preparation may create a great deal of unnecessary stress. The idea of using slurry is that the colony of yeast that you are pitching has had weeks (not hours) to become acclimatized to rather more extremes of environment. But a two day old starter may work although , again, including lemon juice in the starter may not be as wise as say, using apple juice...

I have made a 1/2 dozen batches of SP and never used slurry.
I usually just dump the yeast on top of the must and let it work its magic.

I have used a small yeast starter, water/lemon/sugar and that has worked well, as well

:tank:

231 pages of posts, I am not reading all of them so if this question is a repeat sorry.

Has anyone tried making this lower in alcohol? Say starting gravity of 1.05.

Hi there ladies & gents,
happy to say this is my first post on the forums!
Relative beginner here, making beer and wine, from kits right now but hoping to make this pee as our first scratch batch, seems fairly straight forward.
Couple questions though.

Yeast slurry: how much to add? the batch will be coming off a sauvignon blanc in about a couple weeks. Not sure of the actual type.

How much slurry can I take off the donor wine first rack without affecting the fermentation?

Looking forward to making this!

I have made a 1/2 dozen batches of SP and never used slurry.
I usually just dump the yeast on top of the must and let it work its magic.

I have used a small yeast starter, water/lemon/sugar and that has worked well, as well

:tank:

On my first batch of Skeeter Pee, I just hydrated the yeast... and it failed. Five days and zero fermentation. I had a slurry from a hard lemonade batch (which successfully fermented with only hydrating the yeast), so I pitched that and it started to ferment. I have consistently seen inconsistency when I brew. :confused:

231 pages of posts, I am not reading all of them so if this question is a repeat sorry.

Has anyone tried making this lower in alcohol? Say starting gravity of 1.05.

I have never experimented with low ABV.
however I have made countless batches of SP with ABV ranging from 11% to 12% and it has become my favorite non-Grape wine!

Realistically I dont see why you cant make a low ABV, very similar to cider.

but you can not go wrong with keeping it around 11%
:rockin:

Hi there ladies & gents,
happy to say this is my first post on the forums!
Relative beginner here, making beer and wine, from kits right now but hoping to make this pee as our first scratch batch, seems fairly straight forward.
Couple questions though.

Yeast slurry: how much to add? the batch will be coming off a sauvignon blanc in about a couple weeks. Not sure of the actual type.

How much slurry can I take off the donor wine first rack without affecting the fermentation?

Looking forward to making this!

I use a slurry from a 1 gallon batch to start my 5 gallons of pee usually. I use the whole slurry for that. So if you are saving slurry for other things you can probably get away with just using a 1/4 to 1/3 of the slurry and it still kick off fine.

I use a slurry from a 1 gallon batch to start my 5 gallons of pee usually. I use the whole slurry for that. So if you are saving slurry for other things you can probably get away with just using a 1/4 to 1/3 of the slurry and it still kick off fine.

Sounds good, I'll give it a try. Just don't want to stall the donor wine, 5 gal of pinot gris.

Hey has anyone ever tried making a VERY basic skeeter pee just mixing lemon, sugar and yeast, waiting a week then drinking it? Would it work?

I brewed a few kits in the past but right now I have literally no free time and no equipment at all other than a tube to syphon and a packet of wine yeast which I wanna put to good use.

Any opinions?

Hey has anyone ever tried making a VERY basic skeeter pee just mixing lemon, sugar and yeast, waiting a week then drinking it? Would it work?

I brewed a few kits in the past but right now I have literally no free time and no equipment at all other than a tube to syphon and a packet of wine yeast which I wanna put to good use.

Any opinions?

My batches ferment out in 9 days. Clearing is optional ( a little cleaner taste if you do) But plenty of times I didn't clear and drank it right away. Just lemon concentrate, sugar and yeast. Back sweeten a little and sometimes flavor with kool aid.

Sounds good, I'll give it a try. Just don't want to stall the donor wine, 5 gal of pinot gris.

Donor wine should not stall. You should not be robbing it of yeast until it is about finished anyway. At least that's how I have treated my wines.

Donor wine should not stall. You should not be robbing it of yeast until it is about finished anyway. At least that's how I have treated my wines.

Pardon my newbie-ness here, if I can rack the donor wine clear, then transfer the remaining sediment in a conical type settling chamber for a day and drain that slurry off (and return the remaining wine to its original home), that shouldn't be a problem?
Just want to make sure I'm not going to **** up 2 batches of wine at once doing this.

I started my first batch of this today. One big problem I found was the pH was 2.6 prior to fermentation. Is this normal? If so no wonder people hare having problems fermenting this. I added some potassium bi-carbonate to get the pH to 3.5 then pitched a normal amount of yeast. I can always add acid when done to get the acidic pucker that I am sure this needs.

I see a lot of over complication IMO on this. Its Skeeter. Its not some great wine that's gonna win you medals or anything. Its a simple refresher served on ice. Do the starter, use your nutrients and in 2-3 weeks your knocking it down, end of story.

Pardon my newbie-ness here, if I can rack the donor wine clear, then transfer the remaining sediment in a conical type settling chamber for a day and drain that slurry off (and return the remaining wine to its original home), that shouldn't be a problem?
Just want to make sure I'm not going to **** up 2 batches of wine at once doing this.

If you've got the vessels, I don't think you need to rack so much. Too much racking can cause problems later. If it were me, I'd rack your donor wine, leave the cake behind, and get your skeeter going on that.

One question though, is primary fermentation over in your donor wine? It sounds like your donor wine is in the conditioning phase. If that's the case, while there will be some sediment in the secondary, there's a big difference between a yeast cake that resulted from a primary and a bit of sediment that's settled out. There would still likely be some viable yeast cells, but it's not a safe bet.

I started my first batch of this today. One big problem I found was the pH was 2.6 prior to fermentation. Is this normal? If so no wonder people hare having problems fermenting this. I added some potassium bi-carbonate to get the pH to 3.5 then pitched a normal amount of yeast. I can always add acid when done to get the acidic pucker that I am sure this needs.

It's supposed to be very acidic, which is why the recipe creater used a slurry from a previous batch (with tons of viable yeast to get to work), but more importantly the staggered nutrient/energizer additions. You should be fine to do it your way, but the original recipe works just fine too.

Like Fuzzy said, this is a recipe that countless people have made. A lot of them managed to screw up the recipe (myself included) but it still turned out delicious.

If you've got the vessels, I don't think you need to rack so much. Too much racking can cause problems later. If it were me, I'd rack your donor wine, leave the cake behind, and get your skeeter going on that.

One question though, is primary fermentation over in your donor wine? It sounds like your donor wine is in the conditioning phase. If that's the case, while there will be some sediment in the secondary, there's a big difference between a yeast cake that resulted from a primary and a bit of sediment that's settled out. There would still likely be some viable yeast cells, but it's not a safe bet.

Primary fermenting in my primary fermenter (so I`ve been told) is what I`m doing in the bucket, with lots of activity in the air lock. Secondary fermenting is done in the glass carboy, no airlock activity noted. Is there an actual visible difference between the yeast cake and straight sediment?

My batches ferment out in 9 days. Clearing is optional ( a little cleaner taste if you do) But plenty of times I didn't clear and drank it right away. Just lemon concentrate, sugar and yeast. Back sweeten a little and sometimes flavor with kool aid.

So there is no problem with the acidity of the lemon? Also if I back sweeten don't I need to use fermentation stopper first?

Primary fermenting in my primary fermenter (so I`ve been told) is what I`m doing in the bucket, with lots of activity in the air lock. Secondary fermenting is done in the glass carboy, no airlock activity noted. Is there an actual visible difference between the yeast cake and straight sediment?

There sure is. Yeast will look...well like yeast :p. It will most likely be more compacted than sediment.

If your donor wine is in the first vessel it's been in (your bucket in this case), just rack off of that into another container (make sure you minimize headspace for your donor wine), and get your skeeter going on what's left in the bucket.

Take a reading before you do anything though. You should probably wait and make sure your donor wine is done (or at least close to it) with primary before you move it.

There sure is. Yeast will look...well like yeast :p. It will most likely be more compacted than sediment.

If your donor wine is in the first vessel it's been in (your bucket in this case), just rack off of that into another container (make sure you minimize headspace for your donor wine), and get your skeeter going on what's left in the bucket.

Take a reading before you do anything though. You should probably wait and make sure your donor wine is done (or at least close to it) with primary before you move it.

Can't say I've seen yeast before, I usually just rack the wine off and dump the rest. We have been having pretty good luck racking most of the wine off clear (I always get a bit of sediment on the first rack - probably helped!), I will definitely have to look more closely at the sediment left over and dig through it. As long as I can dump that entire thing in the pee I'll be happy!
If there a way to tell the difference between dead and live yeast? Other than a microscope or lab?

Thanks!

Back