Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I believe that once the vigorous fermentation is complete, you should airlock it to make sure you don't have continued exposure to oxygen. It will continue to degas and that will provide some protection but you don't want to leave it open to oxygen.

Yes I believe that once the vigorous fermentation is complete, you should airlock it to make sure you don't have continued exposure to oxygen. It will continue to degas and that will provide some protection but you don't want to leave it open to oxygen.

Good deal. Thanks!

So far, here is what we're looking at. Again, sorry for the sideways pic...will have to play with that, haha.

ForumRunner_20130623_135119.png

Well, you may get there, if you're not carbonating

No, I won't be. I know nothing about doing that, other than watching my stepson carb a keg of his homebrew once, and he used a gas cartridge for that.

According to my readings, the ABV is slightly higher than 10% at the moment.

No, I won't be. I know nothing about doing that, other than watching my stepson carb a keg of his homebrew once, and he used a gas cartridge for that.

According to my readings, the ABV is slightly higher than 10% at the moment.

You should be good. It only took 9 days for my first batch to be clear

You should be good. It only took 9 days for my first batch to be clear

I didn't fool with sparkelloid....I'm not fussed about the crystal clarity. It'd be pretty, but I'm more concerned with the flavor. I'm wondering if it needs the full week to rest and then another week after sweetening, though.

Yeah stabilizing kills the yeast so if you want to bottle carb with dextrose, you'll need live yeast. I've never used splenda but many people on this forum do with great results. You can skip the stabilizing but if you want to clear it fast, use the sparkolloid, otherwise it'll clear on it's own but may take a while

If I do use the sparkloid will I still have enough yeast to bottle carb?

Sure you can. O2 is not a problem at first but as soon as it hits 1.000 I would go ahead and rack to your 3 gallon carboy.

I used the skeeter pee lees to make a mead. It has fermented well but it took me a good 24+ hours to get the yeast to wake up. I cut the yeast lees/leftover SP in half with water and added some nutrient,raisins & a tsp or two of honey. After some 12ish hours the yeast had settled to the bottom so siphoned off half the liquid and topped up with water again. It was the next day before it looked like the yeast was rolling.

So probably (definitely) a dumb question, but how do I add the kmeta and sorbate? Do I just drop in the measured amounts and stir?

Just got my first batch of SP underway tonight. It sat for 24 hours before I pitched a large starter of Montrachet yeast tonight and into my temperature controlled freezer at 72... Let's see how this goes. I'm worried that it's going to be as good as everyone makes it sound... Worried that it'll make my carboy constantly filled with batches of SP... :)

Just got my first batch of SP underway tonight. It sat for 24 hours before I pitched a large starter of Montrachet yeast tonight and into my temperature controlled freezer at 72... Let's see how this goes. I'm worried that it's going to be as good as everyone makes it sound... Worried that it'll make my carboy constantly filled with batches of SP... :)

It will be. Pitching on my second batch tomorrow and haven't even finished the first. Per swmbo this must be brewing at all times.

I mixed up a batch of "session" skeeter pee tonight. I'm shooting for about 5% so I have something lighter to take to the beach with me later next month.

I mixed up a batch of "session" skeeter pee tonight. I'm shooting for about 5% so I have something lighter to take to the beach with me later next month.

I did that too. 1.040 fermenting dry to roughly 5.25%. My sample tasted just like regular old lemonade:drunk:

Should be great!

Last month I had no wine making supplies. This month I have 3 carboys bungs coming out my bunghole one batch of wine going one batch of skeeter pee going a vacuum pump and an office space that has been converted to a winery...... when will this end :drunk:

Carros said:

Carros,

Would you mind sharing that recipe? I would love to have a sessionable skeeter pee instead of the 11% one that I always make.

I did the same thing as Carros. I added the third bottle of lemon juice and nutrient when my gravity got down to 1.020. I was at 1.000 in a week.

4lbs of sugar got me to 1.040 OG and roughly 5.25%. That seems more reasonable to drink on a hot day for my style.

How long does it take on average to get a full og (1.070) to get down to the second neutrient addition? I think its around the 1.050 mark... 1-2 days?

Just got my first batch of SP underway tonight. It sat for 24 hours before I pitched a large starter of Montrachet yeast tonight and into my temperature controlled freezer at 72...

Hey Chalkdust... don't worry about too much about the temperature control. I found that Montrachet likes it warm (10-15 batches). My worse batches were during the winter when I couldn't keep it above 70's. Summer batches were great when they were warm. Though I didn't have temp control for consistency. Give it a shot at different temps too.

Hey Chalkdust... don't worry about too much about the temperature control. I found that Montrachet likes it warm (10-15 batches). My worse batches were during the winter when I couldn't keep it above 70's. Summer batches were great when they were warm. Though I didn't have temp control for consistency. Give it a shot at different temps too.

Will do.

I've never used any kind of wine yeast before so I just followed my beer yeast instincts...

Well I've dumped the moldy batch and have 2 5gal buckets fermenting away. I also built an stc1000 controller for my freezer w paint can heater. Works super well!

How long does it take for the sparkoloid to do it's thing? I put it in a week ago and my SP is just barely starting to clear.

Did you simmer the sparkloid in water first? Mine usually starts to clear within minutes.

When my fermentation bucket becomes free I am going to try this recipe. Does it taste anything like Smirnoff's Tuscan Lemonade?

Did you simmer the sparkloid in water first? Mine usually starts to clear within minutes.

This is my first batch so I'm not sure if I did it right...

I boiled it for 5 minutes or so. It didnt really seem to dissolve that well. Sorta looked like cloudy water with some dirt in the bottom. I can now see that "dirt" in the bottom of my carboy. Should it have been totally dissolved before I added?

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'd like to have this bottled by next weekend. Can I hit again with sparkoloid? I also have a pack of super kleer.

Back