Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap! I started a batch of this last night, however I failed to remember to leave the must for 24-48 hours with a towel on top to get rid of the preservatives, and just cooled to pitching temp, aerated, then pitched my yeast slurry. Is their any way to save the yeast in there or am I just gonna have to wait for 48 hours and aerate again then pitch another yeast slurry?

I'm at work now but I'll post the exact ingredients of the lemon juice when I get home. It has me a bit worried that I won't be able to ferment it at all... :-(

Thanks Akthor, Here's the preservatives in the lemon juice I used, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Metabisulfite and sodium sulfite. So what are my honest chances of this doing anything? I definately will continue to aerate twice daily for another two days before pitching more yeast. Thanks guys, next time I'll read the stupid ingredients... or just juice my own $%^& lemons...

I think unlike other store bought juices lemon always has the preservatives in it hence the directions for letting the must sit for a couple days.

On the plus side its a small amount of juice to a lot of sugar and water so it might start for you anyways.

I only let mine sit for an hour or two before pitching my yeast starter... I made it around noon on Sunday, and when I got home from work tonight the airlock was bubbling about once per minute.. seems slow but at least it was doing something.

Question for those who have made it - I just took the lid off my bucket to whip it a bit, and the must was shooting up in the air.. almost like what you see when you boil water, just obviously not that strong or frequent.. just little shots of the liquid straight up in the air.. the underside of the lid was also covered in liquid, but seemed like condensation.

I have a brew belt on the bucket, and its around 76 degrees or so. Is this normal to be doing this?

Crap! I started a batch of this last night, however I failed to remember to leave the must for 24-48 hours with a towel on top to get rid of the preservatives, and just cooled to pitching temp, aerated, then pitched my yeast slurry. Is their any way to save the yeast in there or am I just gonna have to wait for 48 hours and aerate again then pitch another yeast slurry?

I'm at work now but I'll post the exact ingredients of the lemon juice when I get home. It has me a bit worried that I won't be able to ferment it at all... :-(

We're in this together. I started a batch today and deliberately did not wait to add the yeast cake. I understand the reasoning, but my cards are on the preservatives being diluted. The yeast 'starter' is pretty large and the nutrient gives me a little hope.

If not, I'll make a starter and pitch it with no harm or true loss.

Well, aerated again this morning still nothing.... Nice film on top of what looks like dead yeast.... smells very yeasty, but not sure if its the normal yeasty or rotting yeasty, could just be my brain playing tricks on me. If I don't see any action tonight you guys think I should make a starter and pitch that?

I'd suggest letting it go for 3-4 days to see if it's just a slow starter. Continue to give it a good frothy whipping with a wire whisk a couple of times a day and try to keep it in a room that is in the mid 70's if possible. The lemon juice and preservatives not only make it a unique ferment, it also is less likely to suffer spoilage. -Lon

ok, we have fermentation, albeit very slow... I think a lot of it has to do with the temp in my basement. My fermometer says its about 65F. I may end up moving this upstairs where it is warmer. It hit me on the way home that some of the off smell I caught may be due to the sugar I used, which was all natural evaporated cane juice, not processed table sugar. I still followed the recipe and inverted the sugar which should also have sterilized it but I do remember that sugar didn't smell the best. Tasted good though so hopefully the brew will be fine.

Should I be whipping my must every day even if there is strong fermentation? Or only if it slows down?

Yeah this is one of the ones that they say ferment up around 70. If you have slow fermentation starting @ 65 moving it to 70 you will be good to go.

Alright, its still in the basement but it appears to be fermenting away nicely. I did notice the yeast head on this was a lot bigger than I am used to (primarily make mead), I used a yeast slurry from a blueberry mead so I had a 1/2" thick floating brown yeast cake this morning. Any ideas on this being normal? I just left it and stirred it back in while degassing and feeding this morning... I assume I'm not supposed to worry about it as it should fall out once fermentation is complete?

Should I be whipping my must every day even if there is strong fermentation? Or only if it slows down?

Yes and no, or depends. If it is fermenting good, you won't need to whip it to keep the ferment going. The old hard lemonade recipes often needed lots of babysitting, but with Skeeter Pee, the beauty is that when the gods are smiling, it needs much less attention.

The one time that I would recommend whipping is if you detect any hydrogen sulfide aromas. If you detect anything that smells like rotten egg or home perm solution, then begin whipping oxygen into the must. Lemon is very high in acid and depending on the yeast used, it can create this classic smell. It doesn't typically ruin the taste, but if your finished product carries the smell, it really damages the ability to enjoy the finished product. Keeping the temp in the mid 70's or below will also help keep the H2S problem at bay.

Lon
skeeterpee.com

Alright, its still in the basement but it appears to be fermenting away nicely. I did notice the yeast head on this was a lot bigger than I am used to (primarily make mead), I used a yeast slurry from a blueberry mead so I had a 1/2" thick floating brown yeast cake this morning. Any ideas on this being normal? I just left it and stirred it back in while degassing and feeding this morning... I assume I'm not supposed to worry about it as it should fall out once fermentation is complete?

A large foam head on the primary fermenter is one of the classic characteristics of this baby. Sometimes it takes on the appearance of the top of a lemon meringue pie.
Here are a couple of examples:
IMG_0238.jpg
images

Lon
skeeterpee.com

A large foam head on the primary fermenter is one of the classic characteristics of this baby. Sometimes it takes on the appearance of the top of a lemon meringue pie.
Here are a couple of examples:
IMG_0238.jpg
images

Lon
skeeterpee.com

Mine looks nothing like this - only when I whip it does it have that much foam.. it is bubbling pretty strong, and went from 1.067 --> 1.059 from this past Sunday to today. I didn't use a yeast slurry, just pitched a starter of some EC-1118.

Also, it is very fizzy.. is this normal?

The amount of foam really depends on the contents of the slurry if you used one. When a slurry or strong starter is used, it's not uncommon for this stuff to finish fermenting in in less than a week. When it goes this fast, it does produce lots of CO2 (fiz). When it's done, you'll want to do a real good job of degassing if you want it to clear quickly.

Mine looks nothing like this - only when I whip it does it have that much foam.. it is bubbling pretty strong, and went from 1.067 --> 1.059 from this past Sunday to today. I didn't use a yeast slurry, just pitched a starter of some EC-1118.

Also, it is very fizzy.. is this normal?
Mine did the same, fermented very slowly at first after using EC-1118. Just kept stirring to introduce oxygen. When it reached 1.050, I added more nutrient and energizer and the other bottle of lemon juice. Now its bubbling away like mad and has a nice cap on it like the picture. Be patient It'll happen.

I personally have NEVER seen it used, not even at pubs/bars. I googled it though and found some wholesalers, just that I'm going to have to buy 10kg (min) at a time if I want to try it out.

i have not read all this topic yet, so i dont know if you have been answered.
but the supermarkets all sell lemon juice in 500ml bottles, and there are plenty of cash and carrys or food wholesalers that sell it in 1 and 2 litre bottles... at least, here in tas there is. i had no problem getting 3 x 1l bottles of the stuff, cost me $7 tops.

Alright, i have read the entire thread now. i would just like to say one thing about it all. to those who keep saying that you MUST use a yeast cake, that is a load of crap! i am only new on this board, but really, if people keep pushing soooo hard that things can be only done one way, im not confidant i will get as much good info from here as i was hoping for...

due to unforeseen circumstances, when i made this i had to use a dried yeast packet (i dropped my carboy and lost a full brew, as well as the yeast cake...). as i had all the ingredients made up, i saw little point in waiting around for another yeast cake to be ready, so i just hydrated some yeast for a couple of hours, chucked in a bit of sugar to make it a starter, and then pitched it. it was bubbling away the next morning!

Lemon juice has such a high level of acidity, that it doesnt really need preservatives. when they are added, they are in such small amounts that the aerating and leaving overnight of the must, will dissipate pretty well all the preservatives.
if the yeast is well hydrated when added to the must, it wont suffer from too much shock and will get started in not much more time than a yeast cake would.

using dried yeast will NOT give a negative result. just make sure you prepare the yeast properly first. its not hard...

There is a whole thread on that particular subject alone. The idea with the yeast cake is to make a new batch every time you rack off a cake on another brew. This is to start the fermentation faster and stronger, and it saves you a yeast packet.

yes, i found that thread. however if someone who is new to brewing found this one first, like i did, i think they may be put off the idea... skeeter pee is an easy recipe that anyone can do, it shouldnt be made to look difficult.

anyway, i will just go back into my corner again and read for a bit...
c
Cheers, Macca

yes, i found that thread. however if someone who is new to brewing found this one first, like i did, i think they may be put off the idea... skeeter pee is an easy recipe that anyone can do, it shouldnt be made to look difficult.

c
Cheers, Macca

I agree with this ^^

I just fermented my first Skeeter Pee. I've never made wine, only beer, so no slurry. I used EC-1118 and made a 1 gallon starter using Apple Juice and sugar. Pitched the yeast in there and 40 hours later the starter was fermenting like crazy. Pitched the starter in and had no problems. Fermented like mad. Reached final gravity in 5 days!!

Next time I think I might just make a sugar water starter.

How's it smell? I was a little lax in checking the OG and adding the 3rd bottle of lemon juice and YN ect. I added that a little late I think and I had a slight sulfur smell in the finished product. It didn't really bother anyone but me. But my 2nd batch I was followed the directions to the letter and the sulfur smell was pretty much non exsistent.

Smelled like Apfelwein. No sulfur but a very strong bready, yeasty aroma.

Look its not OUR recipe. Look at the website of the guy who's it is it is HIS directions. He stated that to ensure fermentation he makes the inverse sugar and uses the slurry. Since citrus is hard to ferment (his words) no one has tried to make things sound difficult. The recipe is the recipe.

Just like making beer recipes are there shortcuts or other ingredients you can use? Yes. Should you? Depends though there will always be arguments. Will it turn out the same? Who knows?? I guess only someone who has made it both ways will know for sure.

I want to be sure my skeeter Pee tastes like the recipe. Unlike apfelwein which I enjoy better after I tinker with it I like skeeter Pee the way it is according to the recipe.

In the future though when I have more time and money and my pipeline is full again. I will try making skeeter Pee just like we do apfelwein. I will also try to make it using other citrus like Orange and pineapple.

c
Cheers, Macca

Look its not OUR recipe. Look at the website of the guy who's it is it is HIS directions. He stated that to ensure fermentation he makes the inverse sugar and uses the slurry. Since citrus is hard to ferment (his words) no one has tried to make things sound difficult. The recipe is the recipe.

Just like making beer recipes are there shortcuts or other ingredients you can use? Yes. Should you? Depends though there will always be arguments. Will it turn out the same? Who knows?? I guess only someone who has made it both ways will know for sure.

I want to be sure my skeeter Pee tastes like the recipe. Unlike apfelwein which I enjoy better after I tinker with it I like skeeter Pee the way it is according to the recipe.

In the future though when I have more time and money and my pipeline is full again. I will try making skeeter Pee just like we do apfelwein. I will also try to make it using other citrus like Orange and pineapple.

defensive much? settle down, im just letting you know that for some people, it is a touch intimidating to be told that it can be only done one way.

if you actually look at his website, he does state that infact you CAN do it without a slurry. so by his own account, there is not just one way. the only ones making this sound difficult are the ones in this thread saying it must be made with a slurry! (btw, before i heard of skeeter pee, i had no idea what a slurry was. i had to go searching to find out... glad i didnt stumble across it here, because i would never have made it...)

anyway, i dont like your aggression towards me, so im going back to the friendlier brewing forums. Ciao

... did i miss something? Akthor's came across as passionate, but i'm not so sure about agressive...

Speaking for myself, i saw this recipe, did the research, and decided that my best bet was to make a slurry from scratch, as a compromise between leftover sludge and a 4 hour apple juice and/or sugar water starter. I'm pitching it tomorrow, and will let you all know how it goes.

anyway, i dont like your aggression towards me, so im going back to the friendlier brewing forums. Ciao

Nothing against Macca, but if he's going to get butt-hurt like that, then he should go where he feels welcome.

It's just the Internet, peoples... chillax. ;)

I don't really see where I was rude or aggressive???

My point was that until someone does an A & B taste test with one made via the recipe vs. one done with shortcuts you don't know if your final product is going to be as good as the recipe.

I know I was late checking my OG according to the recipe and was late adding the 3rd bottle of lemon juice and the other stuff at that stage and my final product had a fair bit of a sulfur smell. My second batch I was better at it and the sulfur smell in the final product was much less and I think the taste smoother.

I am all for people trying to make this stuff like apfelwein or taking shortcuts as I said i will try when time and money allow. But to tell people who haven't made it they can make it a certain way and not according to the recipe and have the same finished product I think is a disservice to them. Especially if you haven't made it at all which is the case with some of the posters in this thread.

I mean the guy who made the recipe seems to be a pretty knowledgeable guy I am sure would have made it according to some of the suggestions on here if it would have given him the results he is looking for. He developed the recipe and the techniques for making it this way for a reason I am sure.

defensive much? settle down, im just letting you know that for some people, it is a touch intimidating to be told that it can be only done one way.

if you actually look at his website, he does state that infact you CAN do it without a slurry. so by his own account, there is not just one way. the only ones making this sound difficult are the ones in this thread saying it must be made with a slurry! (btw, before i heard of skeeter pee, i had no idea what a slurry was. i had to go searching to find out... glad i didnt stumble across it here, because i would never have made it...)

The guy has a FAQ section on his site that addresses most of the jibber jabber here. The OP should edit the link into his first post so this doesn't become another one of "those" threads that go on for 100 pages of people asking the same questions over and over, but then again, having the link there doesn't necessarily mean people will read it either.

This "skeeter pee" sounds very interesting though. His isn't carbonated, more like spiked lemonade. I wonder what's easier... skeeter pee or Minute Maid with Smirnoff?

:off:
This "skeeter pee" sounds very interesting though. His isn't carbonated, more like spiked lemonade. I wonder what's easier... skeeter pee or Minute Maid with Smirnoff?

Bacardi Limon + Country Time. I used to make gallons of that stuff for the chicks at college parties. Sub Bacardi for 1/3 of the water. They loved it.

And to get back on topic.... I will be starting a batch of this when my Elderberry primary is done in a few weeks.

............ I wonder what's easier... skeeter pee or Minute Maid with Smirnoff?

I can answer that, the Minute Maid w/ Smirnoff is a lot easier; but its apples and oranges. You could pose the same question this way: What's easier? Buying a case of beer or making your own from scratch? I can tell you that the guy who's refined laziness to an art form ain't makin' no batches from scratch. Not that there's anything wrong with buying beer, it's just a different animal than a home brewed, hand made, and heart felt, bucket of sudz.

Skeeter Pee is pretty darn tasty, and it's easy to make, and it's pretty accepting of modifications that "put your own twist on it", and really inexpensive (not counting your labor of course).

If anyone has suggestions for modifications or additions to the Skeeter Pee FAQ page, just let me know and I'll add them. I'm in the process of updating the website anyway. I'll also accept any images you might like posted there. You can contact me through this forum or you can reach me at the e-mail posted on the website.

Good luck with your batches, we sure enjoy it. I've got 20 gallons almost ready to bottle; It's a new year and summer's not far off now.

Have fun, be smart, be safe,
Lon

I don't have a slurry handy, nor do I expect to have one soon. I could just do a plain starter but I was readying about these little "Spike Your Juice" kits and it got me thinking. Why not just take a jug of preservative free Ocean Spray, ferment it for a couple of days and throw it in as the starter? Seems like it would work pretty well but I was curious if anybody else had tried this already...or something similar? Do you think the flavor added by the juice might overpower the lemony goodness instead of just adding a hint?

Cheers

HW

Oops, forgot to ask my other question :)

Are the 14 teaspoons of lemon juice used to invert the sugar taken from the 96oz or are they in addition?

Cheers

HW

Back