Ska Modus Hoperandi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, lets nail down the hop schedule and I will put it out. There is some difference of opinion on the dry hopping.

+1 on the dry hopping opinions. I will dry hop mine later once fermentation is almost complete. I'll let you know what I go with. And then I'll taste a few weeks afterward once it's carbed in the keg.

Fellas,

I went back to the source and he told me this for the dry hop.

"I’m thinking it is a bit more than the Pliny but not much I would go with 2 oz of each…4 oz total. I answered the next question in the previous sentence, but yes equal amounts.
Cheers, Bill"

So let’s finalize this bad boy.

Proposed hop bill:

90 min 2.5oz centennial 6%
30 min 1.75 oz cascade 5%
30 min 1.0 oz centennial 6%
5 min 1.25 cascade
5 min 1.25 columbus
0 min 2.0 oz cascade
0 min 1.0 columbus
DH 2 oz cascade
2 oz columbus.

Can someone do the calculation using this schedule.

Proposed hop bill:

90 min 2.5oz centennial 6%
30 min 1.75 oz cascade 5%
30 min 1.0 oz centennial 6%
5 min 1.25 cascade
5 min 1.25 columbus
0 min 2.0 oz cascade
0 min 1.0 columbus
DH 2 oz cascade
2 oz columbus.

Can someone do the calculation using this schedule.

Well, depends on the AA% for Columbus. Mine are 13%. With that calculation, a 5.5 gal batch size, and the malt bill discussed earlier, we're talking 85 IBUs. I made my last one at about 80 and it was too bitter. You really need 65 IBUs for this one. Also, I dry hop Pliny with 4 oz., so I figure 5 oz. is nice for this one. So I recommend:

Code:
1.25 oz Centennial (6.0%) @90 min
2.00 oz Cascade (5.0%) @30 min
1.00 oz Centennial (6.0%) @30 min
1.25 oz Cascade (5.0%) @5 min
1.25 oz Columbus (13.0%) @5 min
2.00 oz Cascade (5.0%) @0 min
1.00 oz Columbus (13.0%) @0 min
3.00 oz Cascade (5.0%) (dry hop)
2.00 oz Columbus (13.0%) (dry hop)

...for a total of 66 IBUs.

Getting close!

I'm game to go with this but is everyone else? I think we have done enough research, spoke to the company, and discussed it among ourselves.

Maybe split the dryhop addition 2.5oz each. He said were equal amounts of each hop were used for dry hopping.

Getting close!

I'm game to go with this but is everyone else? I think we have done enough research, spoke to the company, and discussed it among ourselves.

Maybe split the dryhop addition 2.5oz each. He said were equal amounts of each hop were used for dry hopping.

I'd brew with that hop schedule! I think it will be very close and not really discernible unless you do a side-by-side.

Interestingly, I decided to use this hop schedule for a Black IPA (or Cascadian Dark Ale or India Brown Ale or whatever) that I brewed yesterday. We'll see!

Here is my partial mash version of this beer.
Recipe: Mighty Mighty Hopstones IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.29 gal
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated FG: 1.018 SG
Estimated ABV: 8.1%
Estimated Color: 15.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.75 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 63.9 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 24.7 %
0.75 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.2 %
0.63 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.2 %
1.50 oz Centennial [9.20%] (90 min) Hops 34.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.50%] (30 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
0.75 oz Centennial [9.20%] (30 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (5 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.50%] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (0 min) Hops -
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (Dry Hop 3 dHops -
2.00 oz Cascade [7.50%] (0 min) Hops -
2.75 oz Cascade [7.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.38 lb
----------------------------
Mash In:
-Add 7.88 qt of water at 160.7 F
-Step Temp: 151.0 F
-Step Time: 60 min

Mash Out:
-Add 3.50 qt of water at 211.2 F
-Step Temp: 168.0 F
-Step Time: 10 min

I'm fairly new to brewing but found it pretty easy to use a spreadsheet and Beersmith to find out the malt and hop bill for this recipe using the listed percentages, OG, and IBUs. However, the big question in this recipe is the dry hop bill. Bill states that it's dry hopped "pretty heavily", and seems to indicate that the dry hopping is a pretty important part of the overall taste of the beer. Anyone have any ideas about the amount of dry hops we might be talking about here?

2 ounces each Columbus / Cascade per 5 gallons. It doesn't affect taste only aroma.

They use a lot of gypsum to get the hops to really stand out.

'Can you brew it' on the brewing network did this recipe based straight from the brewers of Ska.

What yeast was the most successful? Something British and dry?

Also, I'm surprised to hear they didn't use any simcoe. Modus has a distinct piney character to me and I figured thats where it would come from, but I guess I'm just not familiar enough with columbus.

Hmm. I would have thought for sure Chinook was in there. Guess it goes to show you that different combos of hops really can express different flavors.

I just made a slightly altered version due to hops access. Right when it went into kegs ALL the local bottle shops couldn't find a can of it for me to do a side by side. Keg kicked Saturday, a friend brought over a six-pack Tuesday...
Good thing I still have a bomber or two. Waiting till the weekend to do a side by side. My recipe cam out well, but I don't think it had the fresh hop punch of Modus. If it compares well I'll post the recipe.

Latest posts

Back