Six weeks and still bubbling !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelafish

Reaction score
OK, this is my second brew. It's a Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber. Only have a primary fermentor, so left it in for the recommended 3 weeks. Now within several hours of putting in fermentor, it was bubbling like crazy,but after only a few days it really slowed down. Thinking the room was too cool( got down to about 60) , I moved to a warmer bedroom. No change for several days after that, so I gently moved again to the bedroom closet I used on the first batch to finish the 3 wks. At 3 weeks it was back to bubbling about every 10-15 seconds. At 4-5 weeks, it was still at 30 seconds. Today is 6 weeks, and it still bubbles every 2 minutes. That still seems like a lot. I've read that the fluid in the airlock should be even, indicating that fermentation has stopped. Should I wait til it stops ? Should I go ahead and bottle ? Or have I already waited too long ?

6 weeks seems like an awfully long time for the C. Slobber. I am enjoying that kit currently as a matter of fact. What were your temps once you warmed it up some? I can't fathom the kit was still fermenting outside of 2.5 weeks. The only way to know FOR SURE is to take a gravity reading, and then take another one a couple of days later. If they're the same, fermentation is done and you can bottle. Like I said, I can't possibly imagine that kit is still fermenting a month and a half after brew day. I left mine in primary probably 2 weeks tops before racking for 2 more.

The "warmer" room was in the mid-seventies. Nothing was really that extreme (60-75), but I was trying for consistency. I'm going to pop the lid and take a reading shortly. Stay tuned......,

Try to stay away from rooms higher than 70, The temp INSIDE A fermenter can be several degrees warmer than the temperature of the room the fermenter is in. If you're higher say 75, you're probably risking some off flavors in there. Good luck - but like I said - if it's been a month and a half since brew day, I can't fathom there is ANY fermentation going on at this stage.

It will bubble as co2 comes out of solution and as volumes change in the container with ambient temps. Is done. It's probably been done for three weeks. The only reliable way to track the fermentation is to measure the gravity with a reliable hydrometer or refractometer. Once the gravity stays stable over the course of three or four days it's fine fermenting. Once it tastes good is ready to bottle. Trust the yeast and your senses. Disregard schedules and bubbles.

popped the top and took a reading, and it only shows about 1% ABV, 1012 SG?
Smells like beer.....

Your done, go ahead and bottle. I think your ABV is about 5.5%. You probably improved the beer by giving it more time to condition. Enjoy!

Yeah, you're CLEARLY above 1% ABV. To find your ABV you take your OG reading (what your hydrometer reads on brew day AFTER you make sure your wort is all mixed up properly with your top off water, if you top off instead of doing full boils) but BEFORE you pitch your yeast. On that kit, it's probably around 1.050 or so. Then, you take your FG (when your gravity stops dropping over the course of a few days) in this case, probably around 1.015 or so. You take your OG and subtract your FG and multiply that difference by 131.5 to find your ABV. Enjoy the slobber - back to my glass of it as I type this :)

You can see airlock activity for a long time, has nothing to do with your beer fermenting or not. It just means there is more pressure inside your carboy than outside. Opening a door real quick or co2 escaping from being dissolved in your beer can cause the airlock to bubble a little.

Back