Sitting in Carboy for 8 months...Could it still be good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlreadyXDead

Reaction score
Hey there guys and gals,
I've had a SMASH IPA sitting for about 8 months due to many o' reasons.

My question: is this far to long for an average home brew to be sitting? It's been through a cold Canadian winter so i'd like to say it's been lagering :cross:

The beer is crystal clear, however there does seem to be a little bit of moisture, so there could have been some air leakage. A small film is starting to form over top. It doesn't look harmful however.

Should i even bother to bottle this? I know 99% will say yes, don't ever dump. I am just trying to get some opinions. Perhaps even some feedback from those who have done the same as i have?

Regards,

Unless it has a decent malt bill that would age well. I would dry hop the hell out of it as its probably lost all its hop aroma but of it was me I would bottle it.

The beer is probably still ok but the hop aroma and flavor is likely gone. As Zoidberg said -dry hop it big time and hope for the best.

so you've had it in a carboy for 8 months? The airlock long ago went dry and so it's been susceptible to contamination or oxidation.
I think the taste test is the way to go
I'd be very wary of the film on top. Take a picture of it and post it here.

I did that once with a pils like ale. Left it fir a year at my parents house when I had to move away for school. my Dad did top up the airlock on ocassion for me. The beer tasted great.

What kind of "film" are you talking about on top?

Thanks alot for the replies guys! Sorry i've been busy haven't been able to check the thread. I was at a craft beer festival this weekend!! Great times.

I was thinking of dry hopping as well, so that is most likely what i will do! I am going to take out a sample and give it a taste and let you all know soon. Also i will try to take a picture of the film on top. It doesn't look bad, but you guys would know more than I do.

Thanks all,

Back