Simple Sorghum in the glass (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurpinator

Reaction score
So, I gave my simple simon sorghum beer about 3 weeks to carb and left it in the fridge for a couple days after that. Last night, I got to crack one open and try it out.

Here is the little head that stayed around

GoodGlass2.jpg

It was very light and bubbly, and had the sour sorghum flavor, which I'm not too pleased with, but it is drinkable and that is something to be proud of for a first batch I guess. Here it is in the glass to give you an idea of the color.

GoodGlass1.jpg

Overall, I'd say it's a success because I made a drinkable GF beer on my first attempt at making beer ever.
The positives: It's drinkable, refreshing, and it's GF
The negatives: It has the typical sorghum beer flavor, and NO head retention whatsoever, so it turns out looking like ginger ale in the glass.

Thanks,

Ian :mug:

Well it's drinkable, so I'd say that's a success! Especially for your first batch ....

Do you have gluten issues, or is this for someone else?

next step is finding a no gluten dextrin for head retention. :)

good luck and yes post the recipe and update this thread.

You might be able to glean some useful information here. It's a patent for gluten-free beer, and they detail some of the ingredients, and characteristics of the beer (including head retention, which looks pretty good from their data).

Looks like they used mostly buckwheat.

Where did you get malted sorghum and in what physical forms is it available?

I believe the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner (I think available only in TX) uses primarily sorgum for their brewing. I have always wanted to try it in my homebrew.

To get a different flavor out of it, try making a belgian. You can use the funky yeast and some candi sugar... that should help shake things up a little...

I have no ready answer for head retention though.

So after aging until now and trying again, the "beer" is tasting a bit different, but not in a good way. My friends are commenting it has an apple character to it, and another noted it tasted a bit like malt liquor, (harsh alcohol). It is too sweet, and tastes almost like a cider. What can I do next time brew this one to dry it out and make it more smooth? A link to my brewing procedures and recipe are in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/help-sorghum-brew-slow-ferm-72720/

Looks pretty decent Lurp. My wife has Celiac as well. I have two different batches made from Sorghum extract kits going in the basement right now. The light one came with honey, the dark one came with dark belgian candy sugar.

How long did you let yours go in primary and secondary? I'm using only a primary, but the fermentation took a really long time(noticable bubbles), and it doesn't seem to be clearing. My non-GF scottish ale has fermented and cleared already, and I started it a week and a half after the first of the GF beers.

Unfortunately Sir Humps, most yeasts are not gluten free. The yeasts that I've found that are GF are all dry yeasts: Nottingham, Safale, and Saflager. Not much room to play.

I'm planning to experiment more once I get these first two batches done. I'm running out of carboys...

Thrill

Heck...i'd Drink That!

The drinking part isn't a problem, I only have a sixer left :cross:. I just want to improve on it like any brewer would. By the way, does anyone know what aroma and flavoring hops Stone uses in ABA? I liked the hop character of ABA before I was diagnosed Celiac, and would like to use them in one of my brews.

Back