Simple keg cutting rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSea

Reaction score
Here are some picture. It is simply a piece of PVC pipe( 1 1/2 inch ID, I think) with a hole drilled in it and a piece of 5/16( I think) all thread with loc nuts. I tired regular nuts and when you cut they back off and the cutting wheel moves out of the groove. You can adjust the nuts to move the cutting wheel in and depending on how large you like your hole. The PVC pipe is slightly smaller then the keg opening so you need to keep some pressure to one side of the keg opening. I have now cut 4 kegs with this and it works great. I have also modified my kids old "Sit and Spin" to be used like a lazy susan. I spin the keg with my foot while the grinder works.
cutrig1.jpg

cutrig2.jpg

DeepSea

Where is the pic of the hole you cut?:D

That looks good. I like it. Similar to others I have seen. I have never used a jig like this before, so I wonder about cutting wheel usage and the ability to compensate for that. How much downward "play" is there?

Where is the pic of the hole you cut?:D

That looks good. I like it. Similar to others I have seen. I have never used a jig like this before, so I wonder about cutting wheel usage and the ability to compensate for that. How much downward "play" is there?

When I drilled the horizontal hole in the PVC I held the grinder vertical and eyed the hole as to where to drill. There is very little downward play. I only get one keg cutting and then I need to change to a new wheel. I will see if I can post a picture of the results.

I used the vise grips to hold the all thread while adjusting the Loc nuts.
I was just going to post about the pain of nylocks on threaded rod. Vise grips (or a full-blown vise) are pretty much required, and good luck not damaging the threads in the process.

This is very nice. I used passedpawn's minimalist jig, but this looks like it might give you a little better control over adjustments.

I have several kegs that I've been waiting to cut.

I like Bobby M's.

I like passedpawn's Simplest (?) Keggle Cutting Jig.

I like your spin on the keg cutting jig. I went out to the garage and checked my grinder and it has the handle attachment on the back side.

I have an idea on how to make it adjustable to travel up and down that I will try in the next couple of days.

Thanks for posting your ideas DeepSea and passedpawn. This is what I came up with by blending your ideas.

This is the the jig. The center pipe goes all the way down and rests on the bottom. The sleeve on the right is adjustable and and fits in the keg opening. The sleeve on the left is adjustable up and down.

4261264648_b68d710426_m.jpg

This is the hole that it cut.

4260510613_c26c7bd8a1_m.jpg

FYI if you have a Ryobi grinder the thread is metric M8-1.25 all thread.

The all thread part makes it adustable to any size opening.

I made a 12" opening on my keg and went over to another HBT persons house yesterday and made the opening on his keg 11 1/2".

It's strange that some grinders have that extra handle boss on the back side and others don't. Mine only has them on either side.

Yeah, i got five different ones here, one of them a cordless, and the cordless one is the only one that has the screw-hole on the back for a handle..
I guess i will make sure i have plenty of batteries charged before i start... :cross:

DeepSea...

I used your jig.

Some lessons learned...

1. The Porter Cable Angle Grinder at Lowes for $39.88 has a 5/16 threaded slot on the side opposite the disc... perfect for making this kind of jig!
2. Oops! The threads are super soft and strip easily
3. Solution... Disassemble angle grinder, and install a lock nut on both sides of the casting to SECURELY fasten the all-thread rod to the grinder. This was a major PITA, but it was super secure and firm and didn't budge
4. Cut slowly and move all the way around the keg top, gradually going deeper and deeper until the hole is cut all the way through. DON'T try cutting through all at once and THEN rotate. Do just a little at a time
5. Wear safety gear. (eye shields and gloves)
6. the 1.5" PVC pipe fits great... but is a little loose. Take some clear packing tape and wrap around the PVC pipe to create a snugger fit.

223721_2315010439737_1383737011_2705136_1158658_n.jpg

185446_2315000319484_1383737011_2705124_5832567_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back