simple IPA with extract kit help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarnellSitka

Reaction score
I have gotten a very simple no name Australian pilsner kit for Xmas, i expect it to be very pale tasteless, but likely extremely drinkable.

My Dad likes IPA's and i have 2 ounces of Cascade hopes on hand.

I wonder if i can make a simple, moderate IPA by boiling the contents of the can about 4 litres of water and the hops.

How long should i boil?

How Much should i boil?

thank you.

Is the extract hopped already?
Does it use ale or lager yeast?
Adding the hops sure couldn't hurt, in my opinion, but don't expect an IPA.
If the extract is hopped already, your kit probably doesn't call for a boil.
If there is a boil, you could use some for extra bittering. You'd still have some left for late additions and for dry hopping.

Ale yeast, it is hopped already but im sure it will be rather bland, so i thought i might try to do a boil to up the bitterness.

Is a half ounce boiled for a 1/2 hour conservative for cascade hops?

Ale yeast, it is hopped already but im sure it will be rather bland, so i thought i might try to do a boil to up the bitterness.

Is a half ounce boiled for a 1/2 hour conservative for cascade hops?

I honestly don't have enough experience to advise you about a 30 min. boil for a kit that doesn't require a boil. Sorry. :(
But if you want my opinion, i don't guess it wouldn't hurt.
Usually bittering hops are boiled for more like 45-60 minutes.
Hops that taste yummy are boiled later, like 15 or 20 minutes.
Hops that smell yummy are boiled at the end, like the last 5 minutes, even at the very end when you turn the fire off.
Hops that smell extra special yummy are added to the fermenter as a dry hop.
I hope someone with more experience can guide you, but one thing I've learned, is that beer is MOST forgiving!
Have fun!
:mug:
PS: Your cascade hops fit all of the above!

Pilsners are not really a hoppy beer and as a no boil pre hopped kit I personally wouldn't mess with it.

While cascade is a great hop I can't tell you what it might add or detract without knowing the ingredients other than its a no boil pre hopped pilsner:)

If your dad like IpAs then get kit for that:)

I had a similar situation recently and ended up making a hop tea and adding it directly into my primary (after fermenting). After letting it sit for another few days, I threw in another 1/2 oz hops to dry-hop. Haven't tasted it yet but it smells really good.

What you could do, though it would likely turn out to be closer to a pale ale would be to boil what ever water it calls for and put 0.5 to 0.75 oz in for 60 mins, 0.75 oz for 15-20 mins, and the remainder (0.5 or 0.75 oz) in for 5 mins. Then add the contents of your kit.

I'm not sure how hops work boiled in just water, but the less extract you have the higher the yield of alpha acids from the hops. It may very well get you into the low IPA range as far as bitterness, but it would most likely lack the alcohol content (5.5% +).

What is the kit and what are the basic directions?
Can you go by a home brew store for more supplies?

Back