Simple first BIAB recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christpuncher123

Reaction score
I am looking to do my first AG BIAB. I am looking for an easy 5 Gal recipe (step by step). I have a 30 Quart turkey fryer and a large bag. I live in Kingston Ontario and AG hasn't seemed to caught on here yet. I was going to order a kit online but $50 for a keg of brew just ain't worth the hassle (25 for a kit and 25 for shipping). My LHBS is great for extracts but just starting to get into AG, they have the basic grains like 2 row, crystal and pilsner. I am hoping to do a cream ale or a blond so my coors light drinking buddies don't fall down after a couple pints (they leave my lagers alone, it's great)!!

30 qt will limit you to a 3 gal batch unless you do a Maxi-BIAB.
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=89
Also, you can use the spread sheet in the recipe section to scale a recipe
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=7
NRBs All Amarillo APA was my first BIAB (scaled to a 3 gal total) and it turned out well.

I respectfully disagree. I just did a BIAB AG batch last weekend using a 7.5 gallon turkey pot and a full boil. I had an 11 pound grain bill. Notes below.

1. Double crush the grains unless you're sure the mill is set to a fine setting suitable for BIAB.

2. If you're doing more than 7 or 8 LBS grain in a 5 gallon paint strainer, recommend you double bag the grains (bag in a bag)

3. Mash at 1.25 Qt/lb

4. heat water to strike temp. dough in and stir until all the grains are wet and the mash falls to your mash temp. Mr Malty is a great resource if you don't want to do the infusion calcs yourself.

5. Cover, set timer for 1 hour and go do something else. I have an oven thermometer with a W/P probe so I can keep an eye on the temp without lifting the lid.

6. If temps fall below your mash temp lower limit, put the heat back on LOW and stir until they get back up. I was suprised how long the covered SS pot held temp before I added heat. I believe at 30 minutes I had to add heat and stir for about 10 minutes or so.

7. Drain first runnings into a convenient container, squeeze the P(*& out of the bag. Rubber gloves help prevent burns.

8. Heat sparge water to strike temp. Measure first runnings and heat enough water so the 2 total about .5 gallon above your target into-the-fermenter- quantity. That accounts for boiloff. For me boiloff was .5 gallon because my electric stove does not acheive a strong boil and the turkey pot is tall and narrow. YMMV

9. When the strike water is up to temp, turn off the heat, pop in the grain bag, cover and wait 30 minutes.

10. Lift and squeeze the P^%$ out of the grain bag, return first runnings to the pot and boil as usual.

11. At this point I usually take a SG reading and add DME to ensure I hit my OG. Some will say I am not a true AG brewer. To them I say pthhh. I'm the only one that drinks my beer, I'm the only one that has to be happy.

ya, full boil BIAB batches are possible in a 7.5 gallon pot. You'll have to keep an eye on it during the hotbreak (use a spraybottle or something) and maybe think about using fermcap. That should keep the massive foaming down.

I respectfully disagree. I just did a BIAB AG batch last weekend using a 7.5 gallon turkey pot and a full boil. I had an 11 pound grain bill. Notes below.

1. Double crush the grains unless you're sure the mill is set to a fine setting suitable for BIAB.

2. If you're doing more than 7 or 8 LBS grain in a 5 gallon paint strainer, recommend you double bag the grains (bag in a bag)

3. Mash at 1.25 Qt/lb

4. heat water to strike temp. dough in and stir until all the grains are wet and the mash falls to your mash temp. Mr Malty is a great resource if you don't want to do the infusion calcs yourself.

5. Cover, set timer for 1 hour and go do something else. I have an oven thermometer with a W/P probe so I can keep an eye on the temp without lifting the lid.

6. If temps fall below your mash temp lower limit, put the heat back on LOW and stir until they get back up. I was suprised how long the covered SS pot held temp before I added heat. I believe at 30 minutes I had to add heat and stir for about 10 minutes or so.

7. Drain first runnings into a convenient container, squeeze the P(*& out of the bag. Rubber gloves help prevent burns.

8. Heat sparge water to strike temp. Measure first runnings and heat enough water so the 2 total about .5 gallon above your target into-the-fermenter- quantity. That accounts for boiloff. For me boiloff was .5 gallon because my electric stove does not acheive a strong boil and the turkey pot is tall and narrow. YMMV

9. When the strike water is up to temp, turn off the heat, pop in the grain bag, cover and wait 30 minutes.

10. Lift and squeeze the P^%$ out of the grain bag, return first runnings to the pot and boil as usual.

11. At this point I usually take a SG reading and add DME to ensure I hit my OG. Some will say I am not a true AG brewer. To them I say pthhh. I'm the only one that drinks my beer, I'm the only one that has to be happy.
Awsome just the infi I'm looking for, now I need a recipe I can't screw up!

I've ordered 8# 2 row 2# munich malt 1 # uk light crystal 2oz cascades and nottingham yeast. I am trying to do Bee cave brewery haus pale ale, but this is as close as I can get with the grains available to me. How do you think this will turn out? $20 for the grains (milled) and yeast and $17 for shipping.

I also have a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer and I use a 5 gallon pot to "sparge" my bag, I dough in with about 5 gallons and mash as usual for an hour when I have about 15 mins left in my mash I heat up 2 gallons to 175 and after I pull my bag and let drain for a bit I "tea bag" in the other pot. After about 20 mins I add that to my BK and bring to a boil. After all that I have about 6.5+ gallons and after about a full hour boil I end up with a little less than 5.5 gallons.

I also made an investment in a Corona style mill and crush my own grains with a tight crush and get 80+% effency. Oh ya and you do need to squeeze the s#%t out of the bag.

I do BIAB here in Tucson, AZ. My suggestion to you is to do a recipe that you already know. What were you good at making with extracts? Do that.

The reason for this, is that you are learning a new process, by going with a recipe you already know, this will give you a baseline of comparison.

I do BIAB here in Tucson, AZ. My suggestion to you is to do a recipe that you already know. What were you good at making with extracts? Do that.

The reason for this, is that you are learning a new process, by going with a recipe you already know, this will give you a baseline of comparison.

That' why I chose, Bee cave brewery haus pale ale. I have done the extract version with great success. I just hope it works out similar.

I've ordered 8# 2 row 2# munich malt 1 # uk light crystal 2oz cascades and nottingham yeast. I am trying to do Bee cave brewery haus pale ale, but this is as close as I can get with the grains available to me. How do you think this will turn out? $20 for the grains (milled) and yeast and $17 for shipping.

I would think this will yield a nice haus pale ale...not identical to edworts, but nice all the same fwiw:mug: shipping is brutal eh?

Back