Simple Fall Cinnamon Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGibb

Reaction score
I am planning on putting together a relatively simple sweet cinnamon cider to keg and tap through the fall/winter. I have come up with the following recipe:

Primary and Secondary in 5 gallon carboys to minimize headspace (blowoff tube airlock), approximately 68-73F ferm temp (basement)

5 gallons apple juice (Treetop, from CostCo, no K-Sorbate)
WLP775 English Cider Yeast

Primary 2 weeks (estimated)

Rack to secondary, add 2 cinnamon sticks

Secondary 2 weeks

Keg, force carb, drink.

My questions:
1. How does this recipe look? My wife is a fan of Woodchuck Fall Cider, and I think this will end up drier than that. At time of kegging, I could use Potassium Sorbate and frozen apple juice concentrate to backsweeten.

2. Will the cinnamon sticks in secondary for 2 weeks give off enough flavor? How much should I use? I don't want to do an apple pie spice since people in my family are allergic to cloves.

3. How is the mouthfeel on a cider like this? I've only made cyser before, and it went super dry (and about 12% ABV...). I only want a 5-6% range, but with a good body.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Back