Simple Electric Build....From the Pros

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I am bringing up an old thread. Just to get this straight you need a 30amp breaker in your wall panel then the 50 amp GFCI spa panel after that. I have been reading this electrical stuff for days and been having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

I know I am bringing up an old thread. Just to get this straight you need a 30amp breaker in your wall panel then the 50 amp GFCI spa panel after that. I have been reading this electrical stuff for days and been having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

The spa panel is simply for the GFCI, it's cheaper to grab that $50.00 Home Depot Spa Panel than it is to grab a 30A GFCI Breaker. So the 30A Breaker protects your equipment and wiring, the 50A GFCI Breaker protects YOU.

From my extremely limited understanding, your 30 amp circuit breaker would break from excess current, wheras the 50A GFCI will trip when any current is leaking, regardless of amps being drawn.

The thread isn't that old PS :)

What would happen if there was a 50A breaker in the panel, along with the 50A GFCI in the spa panel? I was thing about running 50A to the spa panel so I could run the exhaust fan off the same circuit or have the capability in the future of running the elements in both the HLT and the BK at the same time.

What would happen if there was a 50A breaker in the panel, along with the 50A GFCI in the spa panel? I was thing about running 50A to the spa panel so I could run the exhaust fan off the same circuit or have the capability in the future of running the elements in both the HLT and the BK at the same time.

As long as the wires had enough capacity for that, you should be fine... I would put some fuses or breakers if you want to step down your wire size going to the elements.

As long as the wires had enough capacity for that, you should be fine... I would put some fuses or breakers if you want to step down your wire size going to the elements.

I was planning on larger wires from the main panel to the spa panel, but I would also need larger wires from the spa panel to the control panel and then inside it? Or breakers/fuses in the control panel?

It makes sense. If I had a overload, the wires would fry before the breaker ever tripped. Thanks.

I have a 50 amp GFCI in my main box and have a sub panel box with a regular 30 amp 240v breaker for the burners and a 20 amp 120v breaker for the pumps and fan. If both boxes have 50 amp breakers you need the larger wire all the way to the control box.

I'm trying to understand how the wires work going in/out of the spa panel. I went and picked one up from home depot and I see some punch-out holes that I suppose I'll be drilling to the right size: do I just get some sort of clamp to clamp the wires to the casing?

Thanks,

ezziey

Yes, you need a conduit clamp that will have a set screw on one end where the conduit goes and the other will be threaded that connects to the box with a nut on the inside.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Home Brew Talk

Like this

ForumRunner_20111126_162711.jpg

The 'set screw' holds the cord? Seems an archane way of holding it in place. Also, where do I go about purchasing one of these conduit clamps: home depot? Are they weather proof?

Thanks.

ezzieyguywuf said:
The 'set screw' holds the cord? Seems an archane way of holding it in place. Also, where do I go about purchasing one of these conduit clamps: home depot? Are they weather proof?

Thanks.

No, do not this to clamp wire, it is used with metal conduit. The fitting goes on the end of the conduit and the set screw tightened. This keeps the fitting attached to the conduit. Then the threaded end is inserted into a knockout in the box and the nut screwed on from the inside of the box. You can get these at any hardware store.

Be careful buying electric components from eBay. You have to check that the are UL listed, don't assume.

For the power feed: It is critically important that your brewery be protected with a GFCI circuit breaker. Your life can depend on it. It is my opinion that the least expensive way to do this it to purchase a GE Spa Panel from Home Depot. Then if you are powering your brewery from a 3 prong dryer outlet you would make your connection to the Spa Panel like this.

power-panel-6.jpg

I'm a little confused on using a 3 prong dryer outlet. If you set it up like P-J shows here, can this also be used to run 120V equipment like a pump? The third prong is ground, so you do not have a separate neutral. I've read this setup is only good for 240V elements. To run your pumps, you will have to run a 120V supply line as well.

Can this three prong setup be used for 120V as well as 240V in a panel?

I'm a little confused on using a 3 prong dryer outlet. If you set it up like P-J shows here, can this also be used to run 120V equipment like a pump? The third prong is ground, so you do not have a separate neutral. I've read this setup is only good for 240V elements. To run your pumps, you will have to run a 120V supply line as well.

Sure, you CAN*, in the sense that it will work. Just take either of the 120V legs & neutral. You should probably run a separate ground wire.

*Notice this does not say you MAY do it. It may violate one or more local electrical codes, one or more sections of the NEC, etc. This is just a disclaimer; my attitude is- meh.

Sure, you CAN*, in the sense that it will work. Just take either of the 120V legs & neutral. You should probably run a separate ground wire.

*Notice this does not say you MAY do it. It may violate one or more local electrical codes, one or more sections of the NEC, etc. This is just a disclaimer; my attitude is- meh.
The building wiring terminates with a 3 prong outlet that is 240V with a neutral. This wiring is according to code in place at the time that the wiring was done and is not being altered or modified in any way. If you alter it in any way, it must be brought up to current code. Dryers (and ranges) have both 240V & 120V devices that must be accomodated. Grounding (at that time) was accomplished by a jumper that goes between the neutral inside the dryer and the cabinet frame. The wiring setup I illustrate is a method of accomplishing the same thing and also provides GFCI protection. Keep in mind that the Spa Panel must be set up as a plug in device. If it is hard wired, the building wiring must be brought to current code.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the feedback P-J. I was not aware that the third prong was neutral, but I guess it makes sense that the electricity to the dryer has to flow back somewhere.

I have easy access to a 3 prong 30amp dryer outlet right next to the garage. It will be much easier to use than trying to run a new 6-3 with ground back to the panel.

Is there any benifit to adding an extra ground to the brew rig/control panel or does the setup you illustrate provide all the grounding I need (assuming equipment and control panel are connected to the ground from the spa panel).

So, I have been watching this thread and waiting to see pictures of the final product. where is everyone placing the outlets on the project box? I wasn't planning on rushing into this build, but due to recent happenings with my brewery, I'm out of commission until I get a new power source built. And I'm at loss where to put the outlets.

Cheers!
borny

That home depot GE spa panel says "240W" in the heading. Does anyone know what that refers to or why that is in there? GE's website doesn't say anything like that.

I think that is a typo and suppose to mean 240v, and not 240w.....

I think that is a typo and suppose to mean 240v, and not 240w.....

Yeah I don't know it just says "GE 50 Amp 240-Volt 240-Watt Non-Fuse Metallic Spa Panel Disconnect with GFI" Then if you click on specifications it says it again 240W.

I hope they meant 50 A X 240 V = 12kW

Maybe it is the power you get shocked with before the thing trips off -haha.

I am about to start collecting parts for my control panel and the wiring diagram is perfect. I am not great at this stuff but I can get through it, my question to PJ is this. Do you have this diagram with the wire gauges for all of the internal wiring. I know I saw one in a thread but cant find it now. The external wiring I'm fine with, internal wiring not sure

That looks great, Mux. Will you share a few more photos of the other exterior sides and the interior? Where'd you purchase your enclosure? Anything you'd do differently after putting it to use? I'm getting ready to start amassing the components to build one just like yours. Thanks in advance.

RossA32 said:
That looks great, Mux. Will you share a few more photos of the other exterior sides and the interior? Where'd you purchase your enclosure? Anything you'd do differently after putting it to use? I'm getting ready to start amassing the components to build one just like yours. Thanks in advance.

image-1771657301.jpg

Only picture of inside the control panel on my phone. If you have any questions during or after your build feel free to ask. If I can't answer it some one on the forum can.
Most if the parts I got from work. We demo out old electrical before we remodel, so wire, receptacles, enclosures, ect.

Stupid question: If I were to run the 240v but don't have 240v. elements right now, can I wire things such that I can use two 120v elements in the meantime, then create another controller for 240v later when I get a 10g. system? I guess so I can interchange between 120 and 240 by only plugging in a different controller. Possible?

Subscribed! when I saw theelectricbrewery.com, I knew I had to go to an electric system, then seeing the price I just about said screw it! Glad you started this thread.

And now, some questions I have about this... Maybe an electrician is going to tell me that this is a bad idea.... but here goes.

It appears that the spa panel is hardwired directly from the main electrical panel? Seeing as my panel is already full, could I use another dryer cord and wire that into the spa panel, and plug it into my already existing 240v plug for my dryer?

It appears that the spa panel is hardwired directly from the main electrical panel? Seeing as my panel is already full, could I use another dryer cord and wire that into the spa panel, and plug it into my already existing 240v plug for my dryer?
That is exactly how you would want to do it. No problem.

Awesome! thanks p-j!

now to source that spa disconnect. Seems that The Home Depot prices don't match north of the border, or im looking at the wrong thing

Awesome! thanks p-j!

now to source that spa disconnect. Seems that The Home Depot prices don't match north of the border, or im looking at the wrong thing
That is true. There is a Home Depot in Watertown, NY that is about 36 miles away from you. Might be worth the trip. No?

Watertown,NY #6174 (35.39 mi)
391 College Heights
Watertown, NY 13601
(315)788-8539

I'd also like to know people's thoughts about what type and how many thermocouples to run. Also if you have one for each HLT and BK, how to wire up? Do you need a separate switch?

I'd also like to know people's thoughts about what type and how many thermocouples to run. Also if you have one for each HLT and BK, how to wire up? Do you need a separate switch?
I'd suggest that you use Liquid Tight RTD Sensor, 2” Probe, Weldless Fitting from Auber Instruments. You only need one and it would be setup in your HLT. The boil kettle does not need a temp probe as you would be controlling it with the PID in manual mode.

I'd suggest that you use Liquid Tight RTD Sensor, 2” Probe, Weldless Fitting from Auber Instruments. You only need one and it would be setup in your HLT. The boil kettle does not need a temp probe as you would be controlling it with the PID in manual mode.

Thanks P-J. Would the 4 inch probe give more accurate readings? I went ahead and ordered two last night thinking I would need both (damn drunken online purchases), but now that makes sense with the BK not needing it . Unless I want to set the temp at 208 and add some sort of alarm, but I dont think that will be necessary the way I usually brew.

So I guess I will be putting a 4 inch temp probe in the classified section, unless anyone here wants it?

Back