Simple E-Kettle Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawk

Reaction score
My project over the last month has been the control box and kettle.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

I did several tests and charted the data to show the heating for the kettle w/o element on my stove top, just with the element and finally on the stove with the element on. The test was conducted with 5.25 gal. of tap water.

chart.png

Looks a lot like my future plans. I have a couple of questions:
1) What is your kettle volume?
2) What is the diameter of your kettle?
3) Looks like you're running the heating element at 120V. Is that correct?
4) What heating element are you using (mfg & PN)?
5) Are you planning extract, 3 vessel all grain, or BIAB?

I've got an 8 gal kettle that I use for BIAB. I use the perforated basket that I got with the kettle to hold the bag, as it makes it easy to do sparging. First stage of mods is to add a spigot, sight gauge with temp prob port on the fitting, and a recirculation pump to allow step mashing without having unmanageable temperature gradients within the mash and also allow cooling recirculation/whirlpooling. Second stage will be to add an electric heating element to go all electric.

Brew on :mug:

Looks a lot like my future plans. I have a couple of questions:
1) What is your kettle volume?
2) What is the diameter of your kettle?
3) Looks like you're running the heating element at 120V. Is that correct?
4) What heating element are you using (mfg & PN)?
5) Are you planning extract, 3 vessel all grain, or BIAB?

1) 11 gal from Brewhardware
2) 13.5 inches
3) yes it is running at 120V
4)Utilitech Water Heater Element 5500W
Item #: 362369

5) Was planning on partial mash and all grain depending the recipie

Nice job. Compact and simple.

I would like to make 2 suggestions.

Replace your element with a 120v 1650W element. Your 5500w element run at 120v will result in 1/4 of the wattage for a 240v element. That takes you down to 1375W. I'm using the 1650W element with a pump and have no trouble on 15A 120V outlets.

Tie a zip tie around your power cable just inside the box. This will help prevent the cord from being pulled out of the terminal strip.

John

@jagabois nice thought about the zip tie, I will implement that today, i will have to look for a 1650 element. What is the watt density of the one you use. Part of the reason I chose to use a 240v element at 120v is to keep the watt density low.

Back