simple brown beer from extract only.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Strong

Reaction score
I am disabled and can not lift much weight. So I thought it might me nice to make small 2 gal. batch of brown beer. I searched the forums and could not find much information using an extract only..... Can this be done? how much extract per gallon of finished beer? Do I use LME or DME? any help will be appreciated.
Roger:mug:

Sorry to hear about your challenge. My son is disabled, and I've found there is always ways around everyday nuisances, though sometimes it takes a long time to find that way.

I don't know your exact circumstances, so I'll just make some assumptions, and see if I can find something that might help.

If you can manage the 16 pounds that 2 gallons of water weighs, you should be able to handle the bit of grain such a batch would use for extract + grains, maybe?

I can't speak from experience, but I would assume extract-only would make beer, but would just be "meh", and severely limit your recipe possibilities. Extract with steeped grains, however, will make very good beer, and allows you much greater flexibility in both style, and recipe choice. I have tasted some excellent beers made this way. Most, if not all, homebrew retailers sell kits that utilize extract and grains. I'm sure there are brewers with extract experience that can answer any questions you may have.

One thing I am certain of, is that there is a brewer in your area that would be willing to provide you with any physical help you need to brew. Good people here.

I have Parkinson's and the limits are for my wife not me hahahah.
I cant lift anything with out dropping it. I need to have a simple hobby to occupy my time and brain....... I have an amazing wife and she is always helpful.....so I will take your advice and see what I can find. But for me the more simple the better. Doc says little if any beer. but I cant just stop drinking beer. my nose may fall off my face hahahha. 2 gals will last me at least at least two months. thanks again.:)

One of the easiest ways to brew 2 gallons is to get a Mr Beer kit or:

3 lbs Dark DME
.5 oz Cascade hops at 30 minutes

3 gal water to boil
Add DME
Bring back to boil (watch for boil over)
Add hops and boil 30 minutes.
Cool down as quickly as possible
Add to fermenter.
Add yeast and ferment two weeks.
Package with 2 oz priming sugar.
Condition one to two weeks.

Brown beer.

Some online homebrew suppliers like Northern Brewer post their recipes. They have one gallon and five gallon extract with steeping grain kits available. You can order double the ingredients of a one gallon kit or scale down the ingredients of a five gallon kit to order.

I have made what has become known around here as a SHaME brew --- Single Hop and Malt Extract. I agree with the above that steeping grains add a deeper dimension to your otherwise simple brew, but a SHaME brew is very doable, even without buying a kit. For instance, if you like hefeweizens, you can use Bavarian Wheat DME and Hallertauer hops (and WLP380 yeast) and make a really delicious SHaME wheat beer! If you need details, PM me. Merry Christmas to you and your better half!

Pilsner extract + lots of hops = IPA
Wheat extract + a little hops = Wheat beer
Amber extract + decent amount off hops = Pale Ale
Rye extract + lots or a little hops = Rye Ale
Dark extract + little hops = Brown/Porter

It can be that simple.

Back