Simple brews for an amature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
Hey, I've brewed a few wines and beers in the past, although lately don't have much time and currently have no equipment at all! But I found a packet of wine yeast and thinking what to do with it. I've always wanted to try a skeeter pee (lemon wine) and just wondering if this could be done easily without all the complicated ingredients like wine finings and fermentation stoppers? Basically all I will have is a large bottle, balloon airlock, tube to syphon. And of course pure lemon juice, sugar and yeast.

Do you think it is possible to make this in such a basic and simple way?

Am also considering some apple cider in the same way.

Cider is great with just plain old yeast IMO. Not sure about skeeter pee I haven't made any. There is an active thread about it in the wine forum.

Thanks, yeah I wasn't sure to post in wine or cider forum for lemon wine.

For cider I can just dump a bunch of sugar and yeast into the juice, wait a week, syphon then drink right? This is the kind of easy stuff I need right now as I'm so busy with other stuff :)

Any idea what the rough % alcohol would be on pure apple juice?

Btw I've used balloons on around 10 brews in the past and never had a problem :) I also kinda enjoy doing things DIY :)

I've made lots of 'sparkling wine' with 2 quarts of any juice, 2 cups of sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon of yeast...I put the sugar in a 2L plastic bottle, add juice until about 1" below the bottle neck, add yeast...keep at room temp for 7-10 days and chill...12-14% ABV. Juicy Juice works well for cheap. :)

Back