Simple American Wheat Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello

I want a nice, crisp American Wheat beer. I am using 5 pounds Pilsen or 2 row malt, 5 pounds wheat malt, 1 pound flaked wheat. Using 1 pound rice hulls. Simcoe hops full boil, Amarillo at 5-10 minutes. Using Wyeast American Wheat 1010.

I want to add Coriander, Seeds of Paradise and Orange Peel, but this is where I get lost. How much to add of each of these for 5 gallons and when. If anyone can help me, it would be appreciated.

For the orange peel, I'd go with 1oz and for the grains of paradise I have only used it once and used only 1 gram (note: NOT ounce). Not sure about the coriander, though I imagine about the same as the grains of paradise.

Add all in the last 5 minutes or so of the boil. Coarsely crush the grains of paradise (and probably coriander if using whole).

question: why the bother with the flaked wheat?

I'd say something like 1/8-1/4 tsp of the seeds, ~.75-1.5 oz of the coriander and the zest of 1-2 fresh oranges. Add your spices and zest close to the end of the boil, 5 minutes seems to crop up in most recipes. Depending on how fresh your spices are you might need to adjust, but aim for the low end on your first attempt.

Personal preference?

Use American 2-row (not pils.) Dump all the foo foo. Be generous with the Amarillo. Use a clean American Ale yeast (not the 1010.)

Can you say Gumballhead?
:drunk:

The 1010 is the Widmer strain by way of an Alt yeast so it's fairly clean when fermented in the low 60's. A classic american wheat isn't spiced, but I'm not going to begrudge the OP.

I recently brewed an American Wheat with Amarillo and orange zest and used the American Wheat yeast. Definitely very clean. No banana. No cloves. No gumballs. Fermented in the low-mid 60s

Latest posts

Back