Silly question about hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorBeer83

Reaction score
HI! Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm very curious: when you read in articles the suggested ratio oz/gal or g/lt of hops, it 's about all the hops in the beer or just dh hops? I always intended just for dh, but few months ago I send a black ipa to a contest and it scored 42 /50 because one of the judges found too powerful the hop aroma. Now, ok, I'm perhaps a hophead and I went for 8g/lt, rough 5,64 oz for 5 gal only for dh.
So, when the articles on byo suggested to stay between 6 and 8 g/lt intended only dh or all the hops? What do you think?
Cheers!

Last edited:
Don't overanalyze it. Keeping it simple is always best. I tend to do a majority late addition hops. In my IPA for example the schedule for a 10gallon batch is as follows:

1.5oz - Bittering at 60
2oz - Flavor at 15
2oz - Flavor at 10
2oz - Aroma at 5
1.25oz - Flameout

Then obviously dry hop like a banshee. There's literally thousands of ways to hop a beer. Don't overthink it! Have a homebrew!

Back