Silicone wrap heater for MT insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbuelow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I know I saw a post or two about this previously, but I can't find them anymore. I found Watlow (https://www.watlow.com/products/heaters/ht_flex.cfm) silicone wrap heaters and wondered if anyone has tried them as a way to improve temp control in a MT? The idea is you set the wrap for whatever temp you want, and insulate like normal. Being external, you don't have the mash going anywhere, and because you aren't heating, just holding, I would hope it simply just works. I've got a PID I can use to control the wrap. The problem I have is that when it's cooler in my garage, even with my insulated MT, I can't quite keep my temps. Everything tends to come out a bit drier. I'm using quite a bit of insulation, but like magic, it always ends up at about 148 when I'm done. I have the chance to get a wrap heater for relatively cheap, and just want to make sure it's at least a good assumption before I jump in.

Thanks for any help.

I've thought about doing this on my Keg-based MT, but I couldn't justify the cost. What do you consider relatively cheap, and where are you getting it?

I have used Reflectix. I use it now. I also built a styrofoam base which my MT fits into and reduced headspace by building an insulated insert that caps it off. I still lose a lot of heat though, and have yet to be able to keep it above 150 for the entire mash. I'd post pictures, but I'm at work and don't seem to have any on my phone right now. Some of it is process, I'm aware, and I'm working on improving that. The rest is a cold and sometimes windy garage in the winter.

I have a friend who does a lot of industrial plumbing who said he has a few small (4x28 or something) that I could get at. I haven't asked how much, but I doubt he paid for them, so I expect it's off the back of the truck sort of thing.

I've been using Reflectix on my Blichmann's and recent Bru-Gear purchase for a awhile and it does make a difference - especially when it 15 degrees in the garage. For the bottom kettle in the photo since it's induction ready I've got an induction plate keeping temps in the MT. The induction plate is plugged into my BCS-460. For the Blichmann I'm using a regular hot plate since it's not induction capable.

IMG_2243b.jpg

Does the hot plate cause hot spots, or make it too warm at the bottom? That's my concern, and why a heater jacket type thing might work. I had some bad luck with a PID and heating element in the MT previously, I think just because a 5 gallon setup is too small for a heating element to be anything but overkill. Maybe the hot plate is the way to go?

I use a Briskheat brand silicone heating band on my keggle MT. It's 8" x 42" ,1KW @240vac. Cost was around $150. Works great for maintaining mash & fly sparge temps. Stays within 1dgf of target temp. Also use it in conjunction with a burner for jumping up to mashout and the rare times I step-heat.

Does the hot plate cause hot spots, or make it too warm at the bottom? That's my concern, and why a heater jacket type thing might work. I had some bad luck with a PID and heating element in the MT previously, I think just because a 5 gallon setup is too small for a heating element to be anything but overkill. Maybe the hot plate is the way to go?

I haven't noticed any in the 3 yrs that I have been using it.

Latest posts

Back