Silicone sealant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
I have put hot water tank elements in my boil kettle and hot liquor tank can anyone recommend a silicone sealant to seal the inside of the electrical box just as an added measure of protection against leaking

But if not high temp safe may be worthless. And food safe only matters if it contact with wort or liquor.

Generally electric parts for wet locations rely on gaskets, not caulking or sealants. Not 100% sure on where you are putting this but id look at the temp,ratings of the two noted above before you buy. Since im not sure where you are putting it im unclear if theyll be getting alot of heat or not, or in direct contact. But those two questions will dictate what's appropriate.

Silicon is rated up to 500 degrees i believe which is why we use silicon o rings and silicon baking mats. and water weld over 300 iirc.

Aquarium silicone is rated over 400. I looked it up to make sure.

He's all good to use either, if he chooses

I have put hot water tank elements in my boil kettle and hot liquor tank can anyone recommend a silicone sealant to seal the inside of the electrical box just as an added measure of protection against leaking

I'm guessing, that the main seal component, is inside the kettle , yes?

That said, just know that whatever Silicone you use, if it smells like Vinegar, that is Acetic acid in the formula.

It will cause potential trouble causing corrosion, on your element terminals, wiring, etc...., that are inside your junction box.

They make a "non-corrosive" Silicone, but I don't remember the manufacturer or the spec on it,'cause I've been retired too long.:D

The latter type does not have the aforementioned smell.

I am putting it on the inside of the weather proof box that houses the electrical connection I have the gaskets as specified. Electronic home brew suggests a bead of silicone inside the box as an added measure of precaution. While I am at it I am thinking about wiring up a set of alligator clips to ground the stainless pots back to the panel as well unless someone has a better suggestion. I thought about bolting a TA lug to the kettles but I'm really don't want to the alligator clips would be less to deal with on a brew day

I am putting it on the inside of the weather proof box that houses the electrical connection I have the gaskets as specified. Electronic home brew suggests a bead of silicone inside the box as an added measure of precaution. While I am at it I am thinking about wiring up a set of alligator clips to ground the stainless pots back to the panel as well unless someone has a better suggestion. I thought about bolting a TA lug to the kettles but I'm really don't want to the alligator clips would be less to deal with on a brew day

Alligator clips (or other easily disconnected connectors) are not suitable for use in a safety ground application. Too easy to lose your grounding, and you are not likely to notice if you are busy brewing. You are correct that your metal vessels need to be grounded. The most elegant solution is the tri-clamp mounted elements with integral NEMA L6-30 plugs. The tri-clamp provides a robust ground connection. An alternative is to silver solder a grounding lug on the side of the vessel. This way you don't have to worry about another hole to seal in the vessel.

Brew on :mug:

Back