Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeHeavy

Reaction score
I see Sierra Nevada released their pale ale recipe.
I'm planning on making it and was wondering if the 2oz hop addition at flame out should be left in the wort during fermentation or filtered out on it's way to the fermenter?
Untitled.jpg

I have attempted a SNPA clone several times and never came close. The recipe you noted isn't close. No where enough hops.
I didnt do a 90 min addition but I doubt .5 oz would make much of a difference.
I haven't been able to come close so I gave up trying.

I brewed this recipe last summer and I could hardly tell the difference between mine and a bottle of Sierra Nevada, really great recipe. To answer your question... After you cool your wort, give the hops some time to settle to the bottom of your kettle so they don't transfer to the carboy.

I too have brewed this and it was not close. Mine was a good deal darker and the hop character tasted a lot different. I don't know if it's just a difference in the Cascade they use but I also gave up.

Huh. I brewed this last summer and I thought it was very close. Only change I made was a 60 minute boil, not 90.

I just brewed it again last week using pellet Cascade this time. will report back.

Huh. I brewed this last summer and I thought it was very close. Only change I made was a 60 minute boil, not 90.

I just brewed it again last week using pellet Cascade this time. will report back.
I think I'm really picky when it comes to cloning beers which is probably why I haven't had much success. All the beers I've ever tried to clone use cascade hops and I always feel like the flavor I get from using Cascade in my beers is a lot different than the commercial versions. Let us know, though!

water chemistry is important. I find SNPA is on the hoppy side so more gypsum than CI.
Hop wise SN is doing something to extract the flavor/aroma. Could be their process or the actual hops they use.
Anyway the clones I've made were all good but no where close. It's funny how some who brew this same recipe find it's close and others don't.
Still fun trying.

I kegged this yesterday. an exact replica, based on the information SN provided.
this was a beer I drank alot of while after longwalks in the Yosemite's when I was in the Us for 5-6weeks.

We'll see what it comes out like, but it looks like a solid enough recipe. Happy to post up my results.

Back