Sierra Nevada Big Foot 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a sixer of it on the recommendation of a friend of mine. Unfortunately I was/am a bit under the weather when I tasted two of them...but I did not like them. The flavors were too strong and the feel was too meaty for my taste buds. I'm holding off on drinking the other four until after I'm over with this cold.

When I serve BMC drinkers barley wine, I always tell them to feel free to water it down since they're more accustomed to watery beers... lol

When I serve BMC drinkers barley wine, I always tell them to feel free to water it down since they're more accustomed to watery beers... lol

wow....what a response.

Do you remember to take the stick out of your a$$ before serving them?

And hopefully you didn't take it seriously............

though i personally don't typically drink BMC I wasn't directly offended...but it just seems like a condescending remark in general. Though he's entitled to his remarks.

though i personally don't typically drink BMC I wasn't directly offended...but it just seems like a condescending remark in general. Though he's entitled to his remarks.

Why is it condescending? I actually say it in all seriousness. What business is it of yours how somebody likes their beer? Are you one of those snobs who goes around telling scotch drinkers that they're wrong for adding a splash of water or an ice cube? I'm not... So if a guy thinks a beer is too strong, bitter, and flavorful, I offer a solution to the dilemma. Sure, I chuckle when I say it, but why not? Whatever floats your boat...

Come to think of it... I've been meaning to actually try that lately. Thought it'd be an interesting experiment... kinda like Papazian's Quarterbock recipe.

It's still bottle conditioned, and most of the other SN beers are also filtered. In fact, all of their bottled offerings are filtered except for the Wheat Beer.

SN filters their beer, then adds in a VERY precise amount of yeast back to the bottle. They have it down to a science. Theyre so good, you only get a very light dusting of yeast at the bottom. Its usually not even detectable.

+1. From what I gleaned from our tour guide, there is a bottling tank where a certain amount of priming solution and bottling yeast is mixed in with the filtered beer. The whole solution is then added to the bottles and these are sent off to a big warehouse on site for several weeks to carbonate and condition.

No it is NOT bottle conditioned any longer.

E-mail from Sierra Nevada below:

Thanks for the inquiry. My apologies for the delay getting back to you. You are absolutely right. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is no longer bottle conditioned. Currently, our bottle conditioned beers include: Pale Ale, Celebration, Porter and Stout. The rest of our fine ales and beer are considered tank conditioned.

Bottle conditioning is unique to our style of beer. We dose back a small amount of yeast in the bottle. The yeast ferments the priming sugar and creates the finish carbonation and flavors unique to our beer.

Tank conditioned beers- the CO2 is created and trapped in the aging tank (fermenters) and then sent through filters so when the beer is bottled or kegged it is already a carbonated product.

Hope this helps.

I had it on tap at Plan B Tavern in West Hartford, CT.

Much hoppier than any other barley wine I've had. It was good, but it sure was a hop bomb.

I have not had it yet this year. The 2008 was very good. They have had it at my shop for a few weeks so maybe I will pick some up tomorrow night.

SWMBO and I had some errands to run, so we swung by the local bottle shop and I picked up 3 more 6ers of Big Foot. Here's the funny thing about the trip...

ADVERTISED SPECIAL:
24 pack, Bud Light Aluminum Bottles: $30.00

Just sitting on the shelf:
6 pack, Sierra Nevada Big Foot 2009: $6.99

You do the math.

This is the first year I have tried Bigfoot and I was very impressed. It seems to be the perfect 6 pack to drink 3 of right away, and drink 1 next year, another one the year after, and so on.

Would like to compare to an Old Ruffian, which is my favorite barleywine to date, but SN is definitely up there. Will be buying again, most definitely.

Put some away had some 2009 a couple of weeks ago and it is good but I'm drinking a 2007 right now and it is wonderful.

Put some away had some 2009 a couple of weeks ago and it is good but I'm drinking a 2007 right now and it is wonderful.

do non-bottle conditioned beers like this one actually get better with age or is it just that the 2007 was just wonderful?

Now that I've recovered from my head cold, the beer tastes much better. What a waste to drink beer with a head cold...all taste is gone.

Unfortunately, I have none left to do a direct comparison - but if memory serves; 2008 edges out 2009 as a better brew IMO. Though 2009 is still very good....

I'm aging a few 2009's; so we'll see how it stacks up later.

I am a big fan of Bigfoot. Just picked up a case for $50.79 with bottle/tax included in upstate New York. I am sipping one at the moment as well. Seems a bit milder in alcohol taste compared to the '08's, but overall is still wonderful. I cellar these guys every year. I still have 3 '07's and 8 '08's in hibernation.

Back