Side by side/kegerator-ferm combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timzabel12

Reaction score
I am looking for advice as for all the other similar projects I have seen has had different controls. Here is my plan, as from what I can tell the compressor is turn on and off by a single thermo located on my fridge which is to regulate the fridge. Then a manual dampner is adjust to regulate the freezer. My plan in to replace this thermo with a STC-1000 and place the probe in the freezer side to regulate the freezer temp. As from what I can tell from my schematic is that my power will be my gray coming off of defrost connected to orange power. My neutral is brown and cold control for compressor is black.
Question is should I cut the black after the defrost control and wire to my STC at cold input ?
Second from fridge side I will wire a love t2 to the power and neutral to the light and hook up a PC fan to pull air from freezer side for my cooling and I have a small ceramic heater for heating. It sounds to me as solid but I want to bounce it off other minds! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412967258.500855.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412967286.001694.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412967339.381105.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412967354.397753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why are you going with an stc1000, and a love? I used two stc1000's on mine. I Just replaced the thermostat with controller A, this way I was able to keep the defrost and all that jumbo working correctly.
I also spliced into the power cord and ran my own wiring for the rest of my needs. I couldn't get the amperage I needed from the wires already running in. I used 110v fans, and a cheap $20 heater with the fan built in for the heater.

I just might have to make a thread and show it off...

My understanding with the stc-1000 I would have to switch the modes for heating and cooling manually. When using the love it will automatically switch between my cooling fan and heating source depending upon need. I also plan on using a heater with fan if possible. I am leaving the defrost control intact to defrost when necessary, fridge defrosts every 16hr.

I would love to see some pictures.

What kind of temps do you hold ?

My understanding with the stc-1000 I would have to switch the modes for heating and cooling manually. When using the love it will automatically switch between my cooling fan and heating source depending upon need. I also plan on using a heater with fan if possible. I am leaving the defrost control intact to defrost when necessary, fridge defrosts every 16hr.

I would love to see some pictures.

What kind of temps do you hold ?

Both of my stc1000's automatically switch from heat to cool, keeping the chambers within a range of .5 degree Celsius. Once the temps are set, you don't have to do a thing.

I have a single fan to draw air from the freezer to fridge, and another fan to warm the freezer from the fridge. As mine is in an unheated garage I thought this would be a good option, frozen beer would suck. I haven't really tested the variables yet, but it keeps my freezer @3 degrees, and the fridge from 15-18 degrees depending on the temp I choose. I do plan on dropping the ferm side today to cold crash.

I would assume that is in Fahrenheit, seems that my research was not correct. As it sounds that your setup is close to what I want. Not to mention that is dramatically cheaper to go with dual STC's. The big question is for the first STC I plan on tapping my brown neutral and the gray power from my defrost control for my power and then cutting the black power coming from my defrost control leading to the compressor for my cooling. What do you think ?

All degrees are in Celsius as that's what the STC's show. I kept my connections pre defrost control. Basically I took the manual thermostat, cut the two wires going to it, and put them into the STC cold control on the freezer side. I cut into the power cord leading to the fridge, and used that to run the rest of my wiring. Power to the controllers, fans, and heater.

That is so much easier than what I was thinking. I was over complicating it, got to remember to keep it simple. Would you be willing to post some pictures or create a DIY thread?

I just bottled everything out of the fermenters today. Hopefully I can get some pics tomorrow, and find time for a write up sooner than later.

Latest posts

Back