Bypass kegerator thermostat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetlagjet

Reaction score
I need to bypass the thermostat in my digital thermostat Kegco 38 and use an inkbird. I assume the red wire on the compressor relay is the wire I need to connect to the black hot wire from the wall ? I assume one of the blue wires on the relay is the start, the other blue wire is run? What’s weird is that when the compressor is off all the lugs on the relay read 120 VAC. But when the compressor is running the red wire reads 0 VAC? If I bypass the thermostat and apply direct power to my compressor will the fans still run as normal ?

Attachments

• A457587E-9A40-4622-89DA-3A32EEA20334.jpeg
    A457587E-9A40-4622-89DA-3A32EEA20334.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 55E70863-5860-4B51-91A7-1DAE491240B5.jpeg
    55E70863-5860-4B51-91A7-1DAE491240B5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 8408533C-2C43-47FA-8311-E83540557CA5.jpeg
    8408533C-2C43-47FA-8311-E83540557CA5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I must be missing something. Why can't you just plug the Kegco into the Inkbird and let the Inkbird do its thing? Unless the Kegco thermostat is set higher than the Inkbird, the Inkbird setting will be the one that matters.

My guess is that fridge bears the curse of digital design and when it loses its line power (Inkbird turns the Cool Relay off) when the power returns (Inkbird turns its Cool Relay on) it defaults to some preset temperature that would be too cool for fermentation chamber use...or some other related behavior.

Looking at the block diagram and not seeing an evaporator fan or a condenser fan I suspect bypassing the control block completely would be the best bet. Go bare wire from the compressor to the Inkbird...

Cheers!

My guess is that fridge bears the curse of digital design and when it loses its line power (Inkbird turns the Cool Relay off) when the power returns (Inkbird turns its Cool Relay on) it defaults to some preset temperature that would be too cool for fermentation chamber use...or some other related behavior.

Looking at the block diagram and not seeing an evaporator fan or a condenser fan I suspect bypassing the control block completely would be the best bet. Go bare wire from the compressor to the Inkbird...

Cheers!
Thanks. That is exactly what I want to do. Which wire on the relay is the compressor / on input ? Is it the red wire on the relay ?

I must be missing something. Why can't you just plug the Kegco into the Inkbird and let the Inkbird do its thing? Unless the Kegco thermostat is set higher than the Inkbird, the Inkbird setting will be the one that matters.
My internal thermostat is acting wonky. It gets stuck at 41° and will not go below that at times. Even if I set the kegerator to 34°. It’s an intermittent problem so I thought the best thing to do is to just bypass the PCB board and wire the compressor to run all the time and be controlled by the inkbird.

Latest posts

Back