Sibe By Side kegerator/fermenting chamber conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many kegs did you fit on the freezer side? I'm taking measurements and it looks like I can fit 2 with plenty of extra space but not a third. I haven't cut any of the parts out of the door (yet). Do you have a compressor hump? How many cubic feet is your fridge model?

I have 2 ball locks in there but there is room for 3: 1 on the bottom and 2 up top

Like mistercammeron said. 3 total. With a little trimming of the ice chute from the inside door panel 2 kegs fit on the upper half and one the floor of the freezer. I think someone did the build and fit 4 by maximizing the top space and building a short shelf for the floor so that 2 kegs will fit. I havent done it yet but up its on my to do/try list.

rtrevino said:
Like mistercammeron said. 3 total. With a little trimming of the ice chute from the inside door panel 2 kegs fit on the upper half and one the floor of the freezer. I think someone did the build and fit 4 by maximizing the top space and building a short shelf for the floor so that 2 kegs will fit. I havent done it yet but up its on my to do/try list.

I hadn't seen the 4 setup but I'm tempted to try it out later. I just measures from the top of the hump to the ceiling... 52 inches. You might be able to get another inch or two if the depth allows you to move the platform lower. Either way, my kegs are about 26in to the top of the ball lock coupler. Very tight.

I hadn't seen the 4 setup but I'm tempted to try it out later. I just measures from the top of the hump to the ceiling... 52 inches. You might be able to get another inch or two if the depth allows you to move the platform lower. Either way, my kegs are about 26in to the top of the ball lock coupler. Very tight.

I was able to get four pin locks in mine by removing the door panel and all of the ice making equipment. It is a tad tight, but not too bad.

20110515160401137.jpg

Hey all, this is my first post (I don't know why it took so long), but I recently have been gifted with a side by side fridge, and I have been reading through all of the super helpful builds that have been done already. I have a few questions though, before I get started on mine. I know this thread is super old, but if someone could help me out that would be great.

1. Is it necessary to add a heating element to the fridge side? (I live in SoCal so the weather isn't too extreme, but the fridge IS outside)

2. Do the Love or Auber controls come with the temp probes or would I need to purchase those separately?

3. Are your side-by-sides still up and running, or does the rewiring and stress limit their life?

Any help would be very greatly appreciated. I'm super excited to start this process, but want to have a bit of a better idea before I start wiring and cutting stuff :)

Hey all, this is my first post (I don't know why it took so long), but I recently have been gifted with a side by side fridge, and I have been reading through all of the super helpful builds that have been done already. I have a few questions though, before I get started on mine. I know this thread is super old, but if someone could help me out that would be great.

1. Is it necessary to add a heating element to the fridge side? (I live in SoCal so the weather isn't too extreme, but the fridge IS outside)

2. Do the Love or Auber controls come with the temp probes or would I need to purchase those separately?

3. Are your side-by-sides still up and running, or does the rewiring and stress limit their life?

Any help would be very greatly appreciated. I'm super excited to start this process, but want to have a bit of a better idea before I start wiring and cutting stuff :)

1. I use a halogen light bulb on the fridge side of my setup. May or may not be necessary, but cheap insurance during fermentation when you're trying to control to very tight temperature range

2. Don't know about Love or Auber, but the STC-1000 comes with temp probes.

3. Mine is still up and running after 2 years. It's a bit of a Rube Goldberg contraption getting the kegs and lines stuffed into the freezer side, but I figured out a way to make it work, and I love having the footprint of a single beer fridge instead of two.

I added an heat source also. I use a reptile tank heater to wrap the fermenting carboy in. http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape

I believe the Auber controls come with a temp prob. I know the STC does as that is what I used. They work great. I don't know if the models differ but the ones I got control both heating and cooling.

Mine is running great after 3-4 years. I think it might actually take stress off the compressor as it does not have to get as cold in the freezer side as it once did. It also much easier to turn off if I am not using it.

Has anybody used a space heater for the heating element? What would be the cons of using that instead of a bulb, reptile heater, or fermwrap?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I have another one. I started to dissemble the fridge to get to the thermostats and noticed that there is only one thermostat (which controls the freezer?) and then a little dial to open or close the damper door between the fridge and freezer. Is this normal? It looked like most of the builds on here had two separate thermostats. Does this mean I just need one Love/STC-1000 controller?

Ok . . . One last question (for right now:) ). I know it's a long shot, but does anybody have a wiring diagram for a GE TFX25JR side-by-side fridge or know where I could find it? I cannot find it anywhere :(

Sorry for all of the questions, but I have another one. I started to dissemble the fridge to get to the thermostats and noticed that there is only one thermostat (which controls the freezer?) and then a little dial to open or close the damper door between the fridge and freezer. Is this normal? It looked like most of the builds on here had two separate thermostats. Does this mean I just need one Love/STC-1000 controller?

This describes how my fridge is too. From perusing the manual and the wiring diagram for mine, I believe the thermostat actually controls only the compressor on/off based on temp in the *fridge side*; there seems to be only one thermostat and it resides in the fridge side. The freezer dial only adjusts the damper opening size, manually. I can make the compressor turn on by adjusting the fridge knob; adjusting the freezer knob seems to only open the damper, mechanically with a rod... that knob is not wired at all. My fridge claims to be a Whirlpool model ED25TQX0000 built in 1997. In the hopes that perhaps your fridge is a variation of mine, I attached a scan of the wiring diagram to this post. Hope it helps.

(Edit - from looking at the manual, it seems that for mine there *was* a variation in which the function of the knobs was reversed... the freezer knob had the thermostat, and the fridge knob opened the damper.)

Since I believe I have only a single existing thermostat in my fridge, I will wire in one STC-1000 to replace the existing thermostat on the fridge side; I will also wire into this STC the PC fan I'm waiting on, so when the fridge wants cold the compressor/evaporator/whatever will turn on, and also the fan will push cold air from the freezer into the fridge side. I think I then add a second STC with the probe in the freezer, wired into the fridge the same way as the first (i.e. piggybacked in parallel with the fridge STC?) but *not* switching the fan on/off so the cold air stays in the freezer.

Whirlpool Wiring Diagram.jpg

Since I believe I have only a single existing thermostat in my fridge, I will wire in one STC-1000 to replace the existing thermostat on the fridge side; I will also wire into this STC the PC fan I'm waiting on, so when the fridge wants cold the compressor/evaporator/whatever will turn on, and also the fan will push cold air from the freezer into the fridge side. I think I then add a second STC with the probe in the freezer, wired into the fridge the same way as the first (i.e. piggybacked in parallel with the fridge STC?) but *not* switching the fan on/off so the cold air stays in the freezer.

I wired mine with two temp controllers. The one for the freezer side replaced the stock thermostat and the fridge side just controls the fan. I didn't hook the fridge temp controller to the compressor because that would cool the freezer side too. The fan just pulls cool air from the freezer side and if the freezer gets too warm then the it's temp controller kicks on.

Instead of using the TSS2 or another digital controller, could I simply replace the original thermostats with ones that have the appropriate range I'm looking for? For example, this one:

https://www.grainger.com/content/catoffer?offerId=2T7AB

Is my thinking right in this? Is the thermostat the only thing that keeps my unit from operating in the range I want it to? If so, do I just replace both thermos with the appropriate ones for my application?

Latest posts

Back