Shredded Unsweetened Coconut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddlersGreen87

Reaction score
What's the most reasonable anyone has found? I didn't think shredded coconut would be anywhere near as expensive as it is.

I found it for 3.87/lb.

If you found it for less, where'd you find it? Please share!

found a big bag of it at Costco, although that is up here in the frozen north, so might not apply to you Yankees.

What's the most reasonable anyone has found? I didn't think shredded coconut would be anywhere near as expensive as it is.

I found it for 3.87/lb.

If you found it for less, where'd you find it? Please share!

Thats not bad. I usually buy mine at Walmart for 3.49-3.89$ for 1 lb. I buy the Red Mill Unsweetned Shredded coconut for a coconut porter I do. I have brewed it 3 times and I am happy with the Red mill.

I have seen it at Whole Foods or Earth Fare for 1.99$ a pound during random times of the year. But this is usually just a sale price and doesn't happen very often. When its not on sale its like 4.99 Regular.

I wish it were cheaper. I really do love my brew but its expensive to make b/c of the coconut.

Goodluck and Guessing from your avatar you must live in the same state as me! Go Indiana!

Use fresh coconut! If you can find a Mexican grocery store, you can get 3 for .99! You can even get them just dried. Crack them, grate them and cook them over medium heat, 5, until nice and golden brown. They need to be toasted anywhere from 10-15 minutes and you need to watch the coconut like a hawk! Burnt coconut smells horrid! After they are nice and golden brown let them cool a little. Then put them in a paper bag and gently shake. This will remove excess oils. Now dump them in another paper bag and most oil will be gone. Your head retention won't be effected! It is completely worth it! The flavor blows away the stuff you are using! It's a little extra work but I won a gold medal up North here in Wisconsin for my Pirate Coconut Rum IPA. I soak the coconut in rum but that's another story...lol. I swear you won't be disappointed! Good luck. Salud!

Back