Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my current set-up. I've kept it pretty simple since moving to all-grain. I made a simple fly sparge arm using PEX tubing my builder threw in the dumpster and I included a pic by itself if anyone is interested in replicating the design. I'm waiting on my Stout system to arrive this summer so I can make the switch to electric, but this basic system has made 11 great beers so far.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400335792.261520.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400335823.880031.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400335842.026764.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here's my current set-up. I've kept it pretty simple since moving to all-grain. I made a simple fly sparge arm using PEX tubing my builder threw in the dumpster and I included a pic by itself if anyone is interested in replicating the design. I'm waiting on my Stout system to arrive this summer so I can make the switch to electric, but this basic system has made 11 great beers so far.
View attachment 199945View attachment 199946View attachment 199948

Nice! Well done on the spare arm! I was thinking of building something very similar. And a little off topic; I like your granite countertops. Lol. We have almost the exact same ones in our house.

All work and no beer make me a dull boy...

That's the same sparge device I came up with, except I put the holes in the bottom, and a T near the bottom of the center post for the water to enter from. I also made a cross member to go across the top of my mash tun, and the center post of the device goes through a hole in the cross member, so I can adjust the height of the sprinkler to be right at the top of the grain bed.

View attachment 199945View attachment 199946View attachment 199948

So do you just place the sparger right in top of grain?

It's hard to see the brass pipe clamp I have around the pex tubing in the first and second above pics while brewing but the wood piece across the MT is there so that I can adjust and lower the sparger. I just snapped the pic below to better see the setup
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400355670.671821.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400355734.471109.jpg

Just out of curiosity what size square tubing is every body using for their rigs, dimensions and thickness would be greatly appreciated. Trying to decide whether to go steel or wood.

Just out of curiosity what size square tubing is every body using for their rigs, dimensions and thickness would be greatly appreciated. Trying to decide whether to go steel or wood.

One inch steel tubing is what we used..plenty strong enough.

I used 1 inch square for some portions and 1 inch angle for others. the thing hasn't collapsed on me yet so I think it is strong enough...

So this is my first post on HBT been hiding out getting ideas from the never ending supply of knowledge here. Over the last few months (well since the beginning of the new year) I have been slowly but surely getting everything I need to start brewing. Now unlike most folks (I'm sure most of y'all started out with extracts) I am diving head first and going straight to all grain. These pictures hopefully show most of the items I have as of right now. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400649351.096234.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell pictures !

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400649464.074270.jpg

I have 72 brand new bomber bottles and have kept over 100 craft beer bottles that I need to clean and de-label ( that's going to because fun one... Part of the experience lol)

The water filter I build from a thread off HBT wish I remembered who first came up with it. Cheers to you!

I still need a few things silicone tubing, camlocks, and a wort chiller ( still trying to decide CFC or Plate Chiller) if anyone has comments or suggestions or advice or 2 cents about what I have so far and what else I would need I'd greatly appreciate it. There are some things I haven't listed. But didn't feel the need to bore y'all to death completely!
Thanks!

I dove in and bought a plate chiller first. A CFC is way easier to keep clean.

Thanks for your replies, you wouldn't happen to recall the gauge of the tubing would you?[/QUOTE

If I were doing 1" square tube, I would go 1/8" or 10 gauge. I built mine out of 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle and it worked great. Cheap and good enough. :rockin:

Mine is over engineered by design. I used 2" x (1/8" thick) box tubing. It is an absolute beast as far as I'm concerned. Serious overkill for the 20 gallon kettles. My guess is that it could support 3x that amount.

I too did the 2 inch 1/8 square tubing. I could probably park a truck on my brew stand...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Here is my currently manual, gas/electric hybrid HERMS. I've used it twice so far and love it. The only thing I'm frustrated with is long chilling times (30+ minutes) causing poor cold break.

photo (2).jpg

Here is my currently manual, gas/electric hybrid HERMS. I've used it twice so far and love it. The only thing I'm frustrated with is long chilling times (30+ minutes) causing poor cold break.

yeah, I gave up on my IC a long time ago. In addition to a long chilling time, I noticed that the hose connections always leaked a little and I was afraid water may drip into my BK and contaminate my wort. I now use a 40-plate heat excchanger. I also use my old 10-gallon Coleman beverage dispensing cooler as an ice reservoir. I fill it with 3 bags of ice and water and then recirculate through the heat exchanger with my 2nd pump. My wort comes out so cold that I have to turn the flow down very low. Three bags of ice has been perfect for the job and cost me less than $3.

They are more difficult to clean, but the result is so much better. When I'm finished, I run 180F+ water through the exchanger. Sometimes I pump some StarSan through it, but the hot water is normally enough. Before I brew again, I run another round of hot water through it or use my pump sprayer to pump Star San through until it runs out the other end. I even bought a 20-plate chiller to use as a backup or a prechiller, but so far, I have not needed it. I need to figure out a use for that thing.

These pics are a few months old. I got the rig primed and should have the painting done within a few weeks I hope. I will post the finished product as soon as she's done. I have put about 2 years of thought into this rig and left plenty of room for expansion for after the first time I brew with it. lol. Thanks for looking!!!!

IMG_20140502_203837_156.jpg

IMG_20140502_203926_918.jpg

IMG_20140502_203947_743.jpg

Bazowie, could you please give us some details about your flame/heat proof mash blanket? I'd be interested in something similar for my keggle, direct fire RIMS mash tun. Thanks!

Been done for awhile but added a flame/heat proof mash blanket.

20140312_163453_zps46fdb5ee.jpg

These pics are a few months old. I got the rig primed and should have the painting done within a few weeks I hope. I will post the finished product as soon as she's done. I have put about 2 years of thought into this rig and left plenty of room for expansion for after the first time I brew with it. lol. Thanks for looking!!!!

What did you use to hold the kegs to the dumpers?

Bazowie, could you please give us some details about your flame/heat proof mash blanket? I'd be interested in something similar for my keggle, direct fire RIMS mash tun. Thanks!

I would like to but it was done by a friend, he works in the industry, he came to my house took my pot to a college had it measured and brought the pot back and then 1 month later he dropped the heat blanket off in my back yard.
What I do know is that it is approximately 5/8" thick and is flame and heat resistant up to 1200 degrees, very high end stuff. If I was to guess I would put the dollar amount in the $300-$500 range, not cheap!! Which makes me happy to have friends like that.
When I talk to him next (if I remember) I will ask him some particulars.

Cheers

Here's my trusty old rig:
image.jpg

It's been awesome for 5 gal. batches, but it's now time to upgrade! I'm in the process of designing/building a single tier strut stand at the moment. Can't wait til it's finished!

Love the dumpers! I have dumpers on my rig as well. Do you just flip them down into a wheelbarrow or something?

Love the dumpers! I have dumpers on my rig as well. Do you just flip them down into a wheelbarrow or something?

Not sure how I plan on doing it yet. Still building it, but thanks for the wheelbarrow idea. I hadn't thought that far ahead yet. I hope to have it finished in a few weeks.

Sent from my DROID4 using Home Brew mobile app

I have dumpers for my MT and BK. I've found the best approach for my setup is to let the MT drain as much as possible and then slip a lawn rubbish bag over the MT. Then when I dump it over, most often with a few bangs, the majority of the grains fall into the bag that I then tie off and put in the trash can. My usual grain bill is about 30#, so the bag is heavy, but not too bad.

I have dumpers for my MT and BK. I've found the best approach for my setup is to let the MT drain as much as possible and then slip a lawn rubbish bag over the MT. Then when I dump it over, most often with a few bangs, the majority of the grains fall into the bag that I then tie off and put in the trash can. My usual grain bill is about 30#, so the bag is heavy, but not too bad.

I put one on my kettle as well but rarely use it. In fact, I use it so little that I haven't bolted the keg down to the frame yet. Now the MLT, that one is use every time.

A few of my current setup, it's a hybrid HERMS system. Finally converted everything to stainless no copper anywhere. 3 tap kegerator and a dual temp controlled fermentation chamber. Everything located in it's own 12x20 brew haus. Life is good.

20140517_174709_zpsbmqyyqxd.jpg

DSC03102.jpg

20140517_171748_zps1i3r0goa.jpg

20140309_101321_zpscvyadvxn.jpg

20140517_100504_zpsw4j61hqm.jpg

1391971097224_zpsuproakrg.jpg

2012-04-03_18-11-25_866.jpg

everything stainless? i still see plastic disconnects! :p haha juuuuuuust kidding! looking good!

True, and I still use glass carboys, but no more copper, which was my goal. I actually do have some SS quick disconnects, but I like the poly ones better. Just seem easier to operate one handed and much cooler to the touch ;-)

Back