Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd batch on my new electric system build. Works great just need to work on a few things with the connections and such. Would have been better if it was a 50amp system so I could heat up the sparge water and still be mashing but other then that I love it. Huge thanks to PJ and his RIMS electrical wiring diagram! Saving up for SS pots and getting rid of the hard to clean kegs for sure.

New Electric Brew System by Ludahchris, on Flickr

Go Hawks!

2nd batch on my new electric system build. Works great just need to work on a few things with the connections and such. Would have been better if it was a 50amp system so I could heat up the sparge water and still be mashing but other then that I love it. Huge thanks to PJ and his RIMS electrical wiring diagram! Saving up for SS pots and getting rid of the hard to clean kegs for sure.

Nice set up, and very nice to see another electric system in Tacoma. Starting to see more and more :mug:

I totally missed that you were a Tacoma brewer! Awesome! If you haven't been already, you should come check out Homebrewers of Puget Sound (HoPS) at the MASH brewing supply, 2nd Saturday of every month!

I totally missed that you were a Tacoma brewer! Awesome! If you haven't been already, you should come check out Homebrewers of Puget Sound (HoPS) at the MASH brewing supply, 2nd Saturday of every month!

I was a member of the Impaling Alers in Kent and went to quite a few meetings but it is way too far to drive and I didn't really get anything out of it. I was actually thinking about buying my ingredients from HOPS one time instead of The Beer Essentials and just staying for the meeting to see what it's about but since I just made beer on Saturday I'll have to wait until March.

Brutus 10 build out of stainless

WP_20131222_010.jpg

WP_20131226_006.jpg

Brutus 10 build out of stainless

What does something like that weigh? I'm in the slow process of building one from extruded aluminum. Just the frame will weigh about 75 lbs. I need to be able to keep weight down because I will have to store it in my basement and drag it up the stairs to run it. I envy folks with a garage or brew shed. Got all my aluminum and fittings from work for STUPID cheap. A bunch of stuff they were getting rid of as scrap. Paid $30 for way more than I need for the stand and plenty of accessories. There will be a build thread when I make a bit more progress.

I'm finally done building out my all grain, all electric brew stand. I have to make one modification to the MT. During my test run with plain water the hose going into the MT from the pump attached to the HLT popped out of the MT making a mess. I am going to drill a hole near the top of the cooler and add a bulkhead there to attach the hose too and have another hose on the inside.

All in all, the kettles, stand, plugs and the entire control panel were custom made by me using a lot of information from Kal's site at the electric brewery and from others here on Home Brew. The control panel is attached to a heavy duty LCD TV monitor arm allowing me to swing it out away from the kettles /stand. There is also a small exhaust inlet I made that sits right behind the BK with 400 cfm in line fan and it does an awesome job with the heat and steam/moisture.

This was a lot of fun building and can't wait to break this in with my first all grain brew. This is a huge step up from a single 8 Gal pot on an electric stove.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

1392394171994.jpg

Thanks old-pasture-brew! Now the only thing in my mind is.... What kind of beer will I brew as the first one to christen this new rig.....

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392507964.679066.jpg. The cheapest rig I could make 3500 watt 110v biab. I did just drop $300 on cooler, fittings and a pump for my 1 year brewing anniversary

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cheers Pickles, yeah, it's based loosely on BIAB but with a sparge capability. Everything circulates though the centre. Bottom pot is my kettle which I boil and run through my chillers prior to filling fermenters and after filling to clean them. Middle pot is the mashtun and top pot the malt pipe.

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

I seen some supper wicked setups here, I am going from extract to all grain so I am building my system. I just need to setup my gas valves and gas line, add some legs an I'm good to go.

I have no pans under burners but noticed my purchased freestanding burners all do, maybe because its a heat shield to ground or wind block? I will try without and see what happens.

photo(10).jpg

photo(9).jpg

Looks like it's going to be one hell of a brew stand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

What does something like that weigh? I'm in the slow process of building one from extruded aluminum. Just the frame will weigh about 75 lbs. I need to be able to keep weight down because I will have to store it in my basement and drag it up the stairs to run it. I envy folks with a garage or brew shed. Got all my aluminum and fittings from work for STUPID cheap. A bunch of stuff they were getting rid of as scrap. Paid $30 for way more than I need for the stand and plenty of accessories. There will be a build thread when I make a bit more progress.
The stand probably weighs 100 to 150 pounds without the keggles, you certainly would not want to move up stairs. Fortunately i just wheel in the garage.

I'm finally done building out my all grain, all electric brew stand. I have to make one modification to the MT. During my test run with plain water the hose going into the MT from the pump attached to the HLT popped out of the MT making a mess. I am going to drill a hole near the top of the cooler and add a bulkhead there to attach the hose too and have another hose on the inside.

All in all, the kettles, stand, plugs and the entire control panel were custom made by me using a lot of information from Kal's site at the electric brewery and from others here on Home Brew. The control panel is attached to a heavy duty LCD TV monitor arm allowing me to swing it out away from the kettles /stand. There is also a small exhaust inlet I made that sits right behind the BK with 400 cfm in line fan and it does an awesome job with the heat and steam/moisture.

This was a lot of fun building and can't wait to break this in with my first all grain brew. This is a huge step up from a single 8 Gal pot on an electric stove.

DMCMAN, this is almost exactly what I am looking to build! Did you document your steps at all for someone like me to view?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

DMCMAN, this is almost exactly what I am looking to build! Did you document your steps at all for someone like me to view?

I used Kal's plans at www.theelectricbrewery.com to build my control panel and to modify my Kettles. The Kettles I used are 10 Gallon kettles from Spike Brewing. The only difference between my control panel and Kal's setup is I left the AMP/Volt meters off, I didn't feel they added anything in my opinion. By eliminating the AMP/Volt meters I was able to leave off the door bell transformer, the DC power supplies and the Shunt. If you use the plans from Kal's excellent site, you can build the same control panel on your own, he has everything well documented there and it made no sense for me to re-invent the wheel.

As for the Mash Tun, it's the standard round 10 Gallon cooler with a False bottom and a valve kit, nothing special there.

For the stand, I built that out of spare 2x6 and 2x4 pieces of lumber I had from when I was doing some framing work around the house. I used 1x4 pine for the tops spaced out about a nails width. The whole stand was built to fit in that space I had, if I had more room I would have built it wider but I had to work with that I had in terms of location. I then sealed it using Cabot's stain and seal where the varnish is already in the stain and it came out great.

I am using a pump to pump water from HLT up to the MT. I drilled out a hole at the top edge of the water cooler, just below the threaded top, and mounted another valve where the outlet hose from the pump attaches to. This way I can control the water flow from there while looking into the MT instead of adjusting the valve near the pump then stand on a step to see the water flow and keep bouncing around.

There is no RIMS/HERMS setup here since I am using a cooler as a MT, If I need one down the line I can upgrade my setup.

If you need any other detailed info, let me know.

That is always the first thing brewers say when they see my set up "You must not be married". You are correct, still waiting for the gal that would be ok with that being in the corner of the kitchen :) It'd actually be out in the garage if I had one and if I didn't live in LA where the price of a garage could pay for three or four of those set ups. Clean up after a brew day is a pain.

I used Kal's plans at www.theelectricbrewery.com to build my control panel and to modify my Kettles. The Kettles I used are 10 Gallon kettles from Spike Brewing. The only difference between my control panel and Kal's setup is I left the AMP/Volt meters off, I didn't feel they added anything in my opinion. By eliminating the AMP/Volt meters I was able to leave off the door bell transformer, the DC power supplies and the Shunt. If you use the plans from Kal's excellent site, you can build the same control panel on your own, he has everything well documented there and it made no sense for me to re-invent the wheel.

As for the Mash Tun, it's the standard round 10 Gallon cooler with a False bottom and a valve kit, nothing special there.

For the stand, I built that out of spare 2x6 and 2x4 pieces of lumber I had from when I was doing some framing work around the house. I used 1x4 pine for the tops spaced out about a nails width. The whole stand was built to fit in that space I had, if I had more room I would have built it wider but I had to work with that I had in terms of location. I then sealed it using Cabot's stain and seal where the varnish is already in the stain and it came out great.

I am using a pump to pump water from HLT up to the MT. I drilled out a hole at the top edge of the water cooler, just below the threaded top, and mounted another valve where the outlet hose from the pump attaches to. This way I can control the water flow from there while looking into the MT instead of adjusting the valve near the pump then stand on a step to see the water flow and keep bouncing around.

There is no RIMS/HERMS setup here since I am using a cooler as a MT, If I need one down the line I can upgrade my setup.

If you need any other detailed info, let me know.

Thanks for the information. I will adding a HERMS to my system when it is all said and done.

Not to shiny or elaborate. Portable and functional. I just need to mount the pump and she's ready. I can't wait for the first brew day!

system.jpg

Back