Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Version 1.0
Going to use this for a year if it lasts that long, then a single tier.

KAB4 modified to safely hold a keggle.

Photo Mar 01, 1 16 27 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 01, 1 16 15 PM.jpg

This thing sure makes brewing fun. I can piggy-back batches as soon as I start to boil. I also routed my plumbing so I can clean and backflush the whole system from the HLT.

Cheers

P2220031.JPG

P2220028resized.jpg

Beautiful work, Endoquest, especially the plumbing!
Is that a flexible hose on the drain of the middle keggle?

Yes it is Quaffer, I had to do that in order to quick-disconnect the rest of the system. It is a braided ss line.
I also use a three-foot braided ss line that allows me to connect to the wort chiller, BK and MLT from the HLT. Allowing me to clean all that copper out just by opening and closing valves.

Cheers!

Yes it is Quaffer, I had to do that in order to quick-disconnect the rest of the system. It is a braided ss line.
I also use a three-foot braided ss line that allows me to connect to the wort chiller, BK and MLT from the HLT. Allowing me to clean all that copper out just by opening and closing valves.

Cheers!

I love the copper hard plumbing too! Very nice. This is really is what I'd like mine to eventually look like.

Endoquest - I love the hard plumbing. Did you consider building a manifold and putting all the valves in closer proximity to each other? I am in the process of doing this with mine, but I'm soldering on parts over time, tweaking it as I go. Nice Rig.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Horse, I looked for manifolds. If they weren't brass they were too expensive or just didn't work for the application. The four valves on the front rail are pretty much a manifold in themselves. That's where all the re-routing happens during and after the session.
Scott, all that copper meant a lot of sweat solder. It also affects the thermal efficiency of the system since it's not insulated. On a cold brew day (35-40 degrees) I'll lose mash temperature just in the recirculation so I keep my HLT very hot. In normal weather it works fine. I just wanted a system that looked like it does instead of covering everything up with foil and tape and foam. I can easily adjust the inefficiency with flow rate, HLT and a heat stick. Step mashes are a breeze.
It DID take a lot of forethought and research before a built it!

Cheers

I'm curious how you drain your pumps after brewing? I used to have mine set up like yours, but found that my pumps would retain liquid after brew days. Since I only get to brew once every couple of months, that could get pretty nasty. I ended up turning them so the intake was on the bottom and installing boiler drains at the bottom. I can post pics if you want.

ccrum, I run boiling water through everything until the pump runs dry. Also, my drains are below everything so it siphons whatever is left. I'm sure some water stays in the system but it's clean water, I sanitize everything after the boil kettle too.

Cheers!

Lucky_Chicken said:
nice... what did you mark your spear with? I assume it is a dipstick?

Yup, a volume dipstick. I just used some zip ties, works well so far, I only use it pre boil.

Man, some of you guys have some pretty sweet rigs. Wish I had room for a stand. Mine has to be broken down and stored out of the way in my garage but I've got it to where it's fairly simple.

DSC03832.jpg

The Banjo 14's took 18 gallons of 50 degree water to 120 in about 20 minutes! And I only had them at 15psi of propane with a 30psi adjustable regulator.... The March 809s with 815 impellers had ZERO issues priming. I have 110 lbs of Pilsner Malt, 10 lbs of Carapils and 10 lbs of Crystal 20L along with 25 oz of Czech Saaz pellets - first Brew Day this Wednesday!!! Slanting 3 White Labs Platinum Lager strains today and beginning their 1L starters. Tomorrow bump them up to 2L starters - Tuesday cold crash overnight. Wednesday - PITCH!!!!

2012_03_04_999_1.jpg

2012_03_04_999_3.jpg

2012_03_04_999_4.jpg

2012_03_04_999_6.jpg

It's only illegal if you get caught anywhere.... And 99.9% of Law Enforcement have better things to worry about (aka actual criminals) as long as you aren't selling it...

Latest posts

Back