Show us your panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words and I'll definitely take you up on that pint if I'm ever in Sweden!

Kal

Yep huge hats off to Kal. I would not have even attempted a build if not for all the work he put in documenting his build. Anyone that is considering putting a panel together really should purchase his book it's money well spent. Thanks again for everything you have done for this hobby.

I too have stood on the shoulders of others from this forum. Thank you all…
This is my second attempt at a brewing control panel. I run a hybrid system where I still heat water and boil using propane, but I monitor temps and use an electric RIMS system for mashing. I would like to go all electric one day but my current residence, (rental house) will not support it without a substantial upgrade to the electrical system.:(

Last edited:
Finished this about a year ago. Thanks to Kal for inspiration for final design and P-J for interior wiring. Without his diagrams I doubt I would have attempted this project.

DSC01041.jpg

Finally wrapped up my panel today after about a month since starting the project, must still get labels printed and waiting on the kettles to get back from the engineering shop for adding fittings etc but the panel is all done.

It's a full 230v 30A unit, with 12v DC pumps based of Kal's design.

thumb_IMG_1337_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1339_1024.jpg

Finally wrapped up my panel today after about a month since starting the project, must still get labels printed and waiting on the kettles to get back from the engineering shop for adding fittings etc but the panel is all done.

It's a full 230v 30A unit, with 12v DC pumps based of Kal's design.

Bomber receptacles. Looks great!

I don't think I ever posted my panel here. Finished the brewery and began electric brewing in December last year and I absolutely love it. My panel was based mainly on Kal's design with a few tweaks that I liked from others. I've brewed 90 gallons since December and don't see myself ever going back to propane.

Front: (I have added some temporary labels since the photo was taken, but will eventually make some nicer ones once I'm sure it's not going to change.)
its alive.jpg

Inside Back:
finished back.jpg

Inside Door:
finished door.jpg

Bomber receptacles. Looks great!

Thanks, in South Africa our standard receptacles are only rated up to 15A so had to go with these, they are Gewiss IEC 309 HP receptacles rated for up to 32A, my other alternative was to use stove receptacles which is similar to the Gewiss ones but all metal and heavy and to be honest did not look very neat.

gewiss-female.jpg

gewiss-male.jpg

Just finished wiring my 5500Watt panel and will be performing my inaugural brew on Sunday.

The LCD shows input voltage and current draw

Need to add tags for E-Stop, Element switch, Pump switch, 0-100% Power.

Thanks to Kal, P.J. and HomeBrewTalk and it's members for the inspiration and guidance.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

Capture 4.JPG

Capture 2.jpg

I have two 240V, 5500W elements- one boil, one HTL. Only one of these can be on at the same time. They share a single SSR and PID- but only the HTL has a thermocouple- I run the boil element on manual (% time on).
I have one 120V, 1200W element in a RIMS tube with its own PID.
I also have one March pump.
The panel also has a main power key switch and an E-stop.
The two PIDs share a flashing buzzing LED alarm with separate on/off switches.
When an element is enabled the amber LED comes on.
When an element is actually getting power the red LED comes on.
The blue LED is on when the pump is on.
The 240V and 120V elements are on separate circuits-my 240V outlet is only 30 amp and my 120V outlet is 20 amp - I kept them separate so I could run one 240V element and the 120V element at the same time and not pop my 30 amp 240V breaker. The power for the PID's, alarm, contactor coils, and pump all come from the 120V circuit. Just the 5500W elements run off of the 240V circuit- this keeps the A and B legs balanced so the GFCI breaker back in the box will not keep tripping.

My boil Kettle is a converted keg and my HTL is my old boil kettle (10gal). I have brewed 4 batches so far- two 5 gal high gravity beers and two 10 gal brews.

Fishguy

IMG_01271_zpsjobtzcn8.jpg

IMG_01291_zpsidrqujk3.jpg

Why not, even though I never finished the wiring I am still happy with the way it was coming along. Since I am going all electric now and going with Kal's awesome control box, I will probably sell this one in the near future.......

DSC_5301 (2).jpg

DSC_5310.jpg

DSC_5320.jpg

those colored XLR inputs are great lookin...

I just got a couple deliveries today so hopefully get to start on my panel this weekend...
WP_20150903_006.jpg

those colored XLR inputs are great lookin...

I just got a couple deliveries today so hopefully get to start on my panel this weekend...
WP_20150903_006.jpg

Thanks! They are Neutrik ones. I think I got them from Mouser Electronics. A little pricey but I think they look great mounted on the box.

John

Here is another one to add... this is no longer mine, but it treated me well!

50A, 3 element, 2 pump, fan control on panel, BCS-462 controlled...

1-66064.jpg

2-66065.jpg

3-66066.jpg

While not as technically advanced as most of your guys' set ups, this was my toolbox-contained RIMS project. First time taking anything like this on, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The pump is enclosed in the toolbox, so I added an input and an output fan on the back to keep it from overheating. Still need to dial in my PID a bit, but it's been pretty great on the brews I've used it for!

RIMS_1.jpg

RIMS_2.jpg

RIMS_3.jpg

This thread inspires me and make my head spin all at the same time. Some seriously cool builds in here and wicked smart people. I have an idea of how I want my setup to go once I switch to Electric but still have tons of reading before I understand how it all works together.

Thanks for the wonderful resources this forum provides

While not as technically advanced as most of your guys' set ups, this was my toolbox-contained RIMS project. First time taking anything like this on, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The pump is enclosed in the toolbox, so I added an input and an output fan on the back to keep it from overheating. Still need to dial in my PID a bit, but it's been pretty great on the brews I've used it for!

I dont know how to hit the like button, (or I would have) but that is one seriously cool set up there Andrew, very well done)

I dont know how to hit the like button, (or I would have) but that is one seriously cool set up there Andrew, very well done)

Thanks! I often get that it looks like a bomb, or a device they'd use in Ghostbusters. All I know is it makes some pretty great beer!

Decided to go a different route this time 'round...

Mh5mzCX.jpg

ehvFNMf.jpg

Not quite done with it. But everything is mounted to that faceplate, inside a Pelican case. Going to (hopefully) be a breeze wiring everything and not having to do door runs etc. Plus self contained. Pop that lid shut and it's watertight and indestructible.

What an original idea! Portable and well protected too. Well done! Make sure to post a pic when you finish the wiring.

John

Please tell me you are gonna bring it through an airport when you are done.

I saw one wood enclosure, why not more?
Its not the ideal material for a enclosure of this type... there are threads on this if you do a search, Wood works and can be used fairly safely but just like a wooden auto body its just not as ideal as metal or the plastic made for such uses. Still there are wood workers and such who have made some nice panels and it the correct type of standoffs and such are used its likely just about as safe as other materials.

Ask yourself, have you ever seen a wooded fuse or breaker box? they did make radios and tv cabinets out of wood for a long time but most of the electronics where mounted on or in a metal plate or box inside.. and even those are not common anymore.

Its not the ideal material for a enclosure of this type... there are threads on this if you do a search, Wood works and can be used fairly safely but just like a wooden auto body its just not as ideal as metal or the plastic made for such uses. Still there are wood workers and such who have made some nice panels and it the correct type of standoffs and such are used its likely just about as safe as other materials.

Ask yourself, have you ever seen a wooded fuse or breaker box? they did make radios and tv cabinets out of wood for a long time but most of the electronics where mounted on or in a metal plate or box inside.. and even those are not common anymore.

Thank you, that's kinda what I was thinking but I love the look of wood.

Decided to go a different route this time 'round...

Mh5mzCX.jpg

ehvFNMf.jpg

Not quite done with it. But everything is mounted to that faceplate, inside a Pelican case. Going to (hopefully) be a breeze wiring everything and not having to do door runs etc. Plus self contained. Pop that lid shut and it's watertight and indestructible.

What size case is that? I have a pelican case laying around and was tossing around the idea of using it for my panel.

What size case is that? I have a pelican case laying around and was tossing around the idea of using it for my panel.

It's a 1450. Would have used a larger one if I didn't get this one for free. The 1550 seemed like a better size (deeper, so wouldnt have had to countersink the HS a bit, or prop up the PID)

Latest posts

Back