Show us your cider in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cider looks like this after two months. Did not clear up at all, even though I added some pectic enzyme. What's the white stuff on top? Infected? Also, any ideas why it did not clear up?

I had one that took a very long time to clear. And, yeah, it's not supposed to look like that.

Clear. Can I keep this batch just to see if it would ever clear up? Or does the infection have an influence on that?
Good tip on the headspace, did not consider it yet!

Clear. Can I keep this batch just to see if it would ever clear up? Or does the infection have an influence on that?
Good tip on the headspace, did not consider it yet!

The batch may not be a gonner quite yet, that pellicle might be from a wild yeast such as Brettanomyces and/or wild bacteria of the like that are found in sour beer.

As others have suggested, rack it to a smaller jug and let it age out another 3-6 months, then taste and see if it is drinkable. It may turn into a funky, sour cider which I've heard can be quite good.

The batch may not be a gonner quite yet, that pellicle might be from a wild yeast such as Brettanomyces and/or wild bacteria of the like that are found in sour beer.

As others have suggested, rack it to a smaller jug and let it age out another 3-6 months, then taste and see if it is drinkable. It may turn into a funky, sour cider which I've heard can be quite good.

My other cider batch looked just like this one, when I racked it to secondary today. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the taste. Somehow I think this kind of infection might not be as bad in a cider as it would in a beer.

I'm going to dry hop this one with simcoe in a couple weeks

IMG_20161026_174310.jpg

20 gallons of cider fermenting away. 10 gallons of yellow delicious cider (1 wyeast 1056 and 1 wyeast 1098) and 10 gallons of a blend of different apples (1 Imperial yeast belgian and another 1056). Not sure if crazy or thirsty.

14890312_10104867734552793_7346842676072365998_o.jpg

Thanks. Mines usually 60-64 F

Just FYI, Mark - Beardsley's in Shelton is pressing for hard cider now. I picked up 6 gallons today (Sat). They pressed Empire, Mac's, Fuji, and Winter Banana apples. 1.060 gravity, the juice tastes sweet as hell. No sharps or bitter sharps though, which means low tannins. Kinda disappointing for $8.50/gallon juice (ouch). Hope it ferments well and was worth it.

What! They said the hard cider blend was only next Sun. Nov 13. I was gonna go today but didn't want a sweet cider blend. I got that at High Hill and Gotta already this fall.

Their phone message said they were pressing for hard cider now, but after talking with them this morning they said next Sunday is the special blend. I wish they'd told me that when I was there, cuz I would've waited. Grr. This sweet stuff isn't going to make awesome cider.

Yeah I paid $8/gal. at high hill for sweet organic. But only $4/gal. at gotta farms. Gonna try to get there Sun. How long were you there waiting to fill?

I got there about 1 pm and was the only one in line. They're doing the "hard blend" now, for a private party today (one of the CT brew clubs I think), and will be doing it for the public next week. I suspect there will be a lot of people for that. I'm torn between dumping what I have and going back next week or just dealing with what I got yesterday. Don't have space or carboys for both.

I'm torn between dumping what I have and going back next week or just dealing with what I got yesterday. Don't have space or carboys for both.

Dont dump it. Not at that price! Ferment it slow with ale yeast. If it doesn't retain enough flavor just stabilize and backsweeten with more fresh juice. People love that stuff.

I got there about 1 pm and was the only one in line. They're doing the "hard blend" now, for a private party today (one of the CT brew clubs I think), and will be doing it for the public next week. I suspect there will be a lot of people for that. I'm torn between dumping what I have and going back next week or just dealing with what I got yesterday. Don't have space or carboys for both.

Any chance they will be doing this again? I picked up 7 gallons in early Oct that is going nicely. Looking to maybe do another 6 once I get my pear out of the Fermentor

Any chance they will be doing this again? I picked up 7 gallons in early Oct that is going nicely. Looking to maybe do another 6 once I get my pear out of the Fermentor

I'm sure they're still pressing cider, but AFAIK the hard cider blend is a one weekend per year deal. When the're done they go back to the sweet table cider that they bottle in 1 gallon jugs. But, call and ask.

I'm sure they're still pressing cider, but AFAIK the hard cider blend is a one weekend per year deal. When the're done they go back to the sweet table cider that they bottle in 1 gallon jugs. But, call and ask.

True. I think they will fill any container with the sweet cider while you wait.
There are others who also do sweet cider that way and prices vary!

True. I think they will fill any container with the sweet cider while you wait.
There are others who also do sweet cider that way and prices vary!

Is the old black dude still running the cider mill at Gottas? I wish I had taken some photos of that huge wooden scratter they have that looks to be 75 years old. Folks here would love to see that.

This is my hard apple cider after 8days of fast ferment with Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. I will let this stand for a few more days to allow the yeast to clean up then rack to secondary at which time I will taste and I might split this batch and try something new with the other half.

IMG_0178.jpg

My wild ferment has had its first ten point drop and it is time to move it out of the drums and into carboys to reduce head space to a minimum and leave the first crop of lees behind. I have avoided film yeast and mold so far. The initial ferment was just enough to cap the must with a beautiful cream colored foam which dried in places to form something like meringue but slow enough not to build enough pressure to activate the airlocks. The lids on my plastic drums are not tight enough to prevent slow pressure leakage. Unlike this wild ferment, commercial yeast I have pitched in the past, fermented considerably faster and generated enough pressure at that ten point drop to strongly activate the airlocks.

DSCN1446.JPG

My first cider - bought a gallon of the central market brand unfiltered apple cider for the kids and fermented a liter of it in an Old Crow bottle with WLP001 and a little bit of honey (OG 1.050) just to see how it went. Cold crashed and racked to this after 2 weeks. I put it in the fridge and told my wife to let it age a while...she has been "taste testing" daily. I'm not much of a cider drinker, but she really likes it. The first day after racking it had a pretty bad aroma and initial taste, but the next day it was like it never existed. I guess she really does like it because she bought me 3 more gallons of the same juice today so I put on a starter of San Diego Super Yeast to pitch tomorrow. I had intended to use it for a beer brew next week. I guess I'll wait for this to finish and steal my yeast back from the cider.

9ZQUtjoS5RYRu9KnY8lsamL_9keXtf-XakAWtkhkXNXGvvY5aVvpqpeWT_ejen0STBafkBcYt-xKBHcegu4zOGG5CsDNUYimPJasQKe4hYuB3-wFLkUV--RJLGMBWHMT890dpWFm1Ibx6m3FexVWhveVQ62fp6KbfoYv_Gy8wbDaSnkLWHslC_r9xeIooHjt9EHpOfguc9R0HReaspjVefdW2Rp00yKIdbf4rHbCS29ZVFysuGBFG1u4Vxe2eqrNjTSMfrjUhqWxGPd1yX8SLYorKde_sQwNX8yJ-rMZPcMXJG79cnije6fih7e6LmM4MPN4UIFwwhqRZLlTy7jWqvDlmhIXPpHkelA9i91uv7Mer-lCIE271WYpCsQ45lRcomczTiQL88RGmnFCauQZuG_ujf3qiEYpQDZ5w7K83wN643ddf4CGJQXuZ1BRsZ9QD6MMx__F7Ugv7UTHOur47FeH0JR3prfUff9UzfphYkCNt1kEOKX3-hR1uvPJf39l60k-lZBqvWwj8bXR-ZoNLV8ubUXd2Uq3AqUHBfnW84jKGoJlhoQjGjVO7RKGqw779SDChh05iMFv_rwTXyb8AXeCYUS7xHKnNmaOF63k11XTdEDk=w541-h721-no

Hradspace isnt a big concern during fermentation, its the secondary that you want to minimize headspace.

All my ferm's have that much space, otherwise they would overfoam.

Back